youtube: one of the best guitarists I've seen in a long time

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BeatPsychic

Post by BeatPsychic » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:24 am

I have to agree for the ultimate D&B live group, Jojo mayer has to be on drums... the stick tricks vid was cool from earlier post, but if you want to see JoJo Mayer doing his thing check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf3fpULe6Ig

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:38 am

BeatPsychic wrote:I have to agree for the ultimate D&B live group, Jojo mayer has to be on drums... the stick tricks vid was cool from earlier post, but if you want to see JoJo Mayer doing his thing check it out...

thats awesome, thanks
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:58 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
BeatPsychic wrote:I have to agree for the ultimate D&B live group, Jojo mayer has to be on drums... the stick tricks vid was cool from earlier post, but if you want to see JoJo Mayer doing his thing check it out...

thats awesome, thanks
That's dope!! Cool to see the scene come back around to live music.

Anyone have any tips on the FX they might use on the bass guitar? I want to try that!! Low pass filter with a nice dose of resonance? (stuck at work, can't try it now.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:42 am

i'm going to go ahead and chime in with a "what's the point" comment.

as far as the bach stuff, well, great, i love bach. But i've heard that style of bach played 1000xs better on harpsichord or piano. notably by glean gould, who's versions of goldberg variations are stunning. am i supposed to be impressed because it's done as guitar tapping?

now, of course this is an amazing display of technical talent, but i would counter and say that:

a) anyone can lock themselves in a room all day, every day, for about 10 years and have technical skill.

b) you don't have to be technically amazing to play great, emotionally impacting music. To do that, you just have to have enough skill to translate your feeling into what you play.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:47 am

Cool links John and everyone else.

FWIW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5F0-Y_IT8A

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:35 am

leisuremuffin wrote:a) anyone can lock themselves in a room all day, every day, for about 10 years and have technical skill.

b) you don't have to be technically amazing to play great, emotionally impacting music. To do that, you just have to have enough skill to translate your feeling into what you play.

.lm.
a) then there is no reason to have skills because anyone could have skills?

b) watch some of his other videos and you'll see he has more musicianship than the bach video displays. that one was simply for show off of course and you don't have to like it if you don't want to, but if you want him to have musical talent then watch him play something else and realise that he does.

people are always thrilled to see something done that is hard to do, why do you think we like watching drum solo's? ONLY because they are hard to do. it's a display of skill. I don't see much point in bashing someones lack of musical skill just because they decided to do a virtuoso display.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:19 am

you don't get it, i'm not bashing anybody.

I'm just explaining that in my opinion virtuosity does not always equal good musicianship.

I don't listen to drum solo's just because they're hard to do. I don't care how hard it is to play something, i care if listening to it makes me feel something.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:33 am

I am a member of the 'what's the point group'.

A while ago radialson posted this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

IMO Andy Mckee's stuff is much more musical.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 am

I just find it strange that a bunch of electronic musicians feel they can take light of a guitarists skills simply cause he is too virtuoso and not enough musician, it just seems slightly ironic to me

andy mkcee is pretty kick ass too by the way. but the point is that when someone does something that is moderately difficult and musical people think "wow thats awesome" and then when someone does something even more difficult and musical they think "it's genious... total genious" but once it becomes retardedly difficult people start saying "virtuoso crap, it's not even music anymore"

it's strange to me.

forgive me if I'm being abrassive I'm drinking tonight (I have a long history of making an ass of myself on the ableton site when drinking ;)

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:12 am

HaHa, actually I played flute first then guitar. I only recently discovered ableton and got into attempting to make musc on the computer.

Sorry, your man didn't do much for me but thanks for pasting the link I like to see new stuff.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:18 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I have a long history of making an ass of myself on the ableton site when drinking ;)
I think I found a new .sig!

That irony goes from 'live' bands to DJs to e-mail checkers to bands DJs... who's got the talent? There are some wicked mixes and original tunes on the 'link your music' forum, and a lot of bad guitar players.

Of all real instruments that Abletonians play, guitar has to be the most common (25% safe to say? Make a poll?). There's no reason Live has to be considered as only for trance, I use it as the main setup for guitars. 4mS of latency, Pod, midi and piezo tracks, fade in/out what toy I want to play with or drop in a song I want to pick apart. Live works great for the guitar.

On the guitar boards it's people shitting on Nirvana for simple songs=lame music. On the other hand it's Dream Theater, wow, great chops, zzzzzzzz. People generally love the music they heard as teens, tastes vary, with guitar players we love the songs we learned. Opinions also get REALLY polarised on the web (OT threads).

It seems more people watched the videos here than in most threads, it's all been great. The thread went from 'this is cool' to 'this is better'. Either way, keep 'em coming.

The difference between metal and hard rock?
CHUGGA CHUGGA - metal
No chugga chugga - hard rock
no chugga, no metal. \m/

Who's the WORST guitar player?? No 15 year old MeTubers, 'pros' only.

PS a video, 3 guys identical guitars playing an instrumental Bohemian Rhapsody live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNNcMDZn2Qk
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I just find it strange that a bunch of electronic musicians feel they can take light of a guitarists skills simply cause he is too virtuoso and not enough musician, it just seems slightly ironic to me
i don't think that's fair - i think maybe there should be a poll of what instruments people play (and by "play", i obviously don't mean "can hit a bm triad on my oxygen 8"). i'd even go as far as to say it's a lot more than the suggested 25% of people on here can play guitar. maybe not as their first or main instrument, but certainly some, and therefore enough to know there is a huge amount of technical skill in playing like the dude in the video.
but, i still fall into the "just because it's hard doesn't make it good" camp. i personally didn't like it, not because of any skill issues, i just didn't like it any more than i would like watching someone who's really good at riding a unicycle and juggling five flaming sticks. i fact, i had pretty much the same response to it.
Johnisfaster wrote:forgive me if I'm being abrassive
don't worry about that shit, man.
Tone Deft wrote:There's no reason Live has to be considered as only for trance
nonsense! this has been quantitively demonstrated on a number of occasions. ableton live was developed primarily for trance, and using it for anything else requires extensive, ugly workarounds.

kettensaege

Post by kettensaege » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:51 am

oh boy ... Fularas technique is really amazing, but his facial expression ... I couldn't help staring at his face all the time and feeling sorry for his girlfriend. He actually makes wankmaster Angelo look cool and totally not nerdy:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_J-h5XstLvk
Anyway, I have to admit, the coolest clip I've seen lately was Elton John singing an oven manual:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAmtiXP3Thw
right after that KJ Sawka clip somebody posted before.
peace,
k.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:15 am

itook4lefts wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: There's no reason Live has to be considered as only for trance
nonsense! this has been quantitively demonstrated on a number of occasions. ableton live was developed primarily for trance, and using it for anything else requires extensive, ugly workarounds.
This is true - I don't even know WHY M-Audio are still making keyboards with the WHITE keys still on there...

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 am

it's so people can play chords like A flat major. though to be fair, most trance uses the "chord" plugin