Sequence Your Live Looping (No Pedals Necessary)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
electropoet

Post by electropoet » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:48 pm

Patch wrote:Great post, electropoet - very useful!
electropoet wrote:Couple extra points...in this set-up you are limited to basically 12 tracks because there are only 12 notes per octave...and about 10 scenes as there are only 10 or 11 octaves. There are certainly other ways to set it up though so be sure to experiment. I get around this by going back and erasing previously recording slots and importing a new midi auto clip if need be...
Could you get around this simply by changing the midi cnannel the IAC bus is transmitting data on? All the note numbers would stay the same, and effectively (barring all other midi controls in your set...) you could have a session view consiting of 192 (12*16) x 176 (11*16) clip slots.

I'm pretty new to this - so I may be wrong. This thread is the mutts nuts!

Absolutely. Changing midi note would be one way...again...lots of ways to skin the cat.

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:37 pm

okay...i got the url link figured out and its posted correctly now.

btw-if you notice...the last track I record on is called Midi drums and is actually a midi track i use the loop record midi drums from a midi drum kit i play. So, as you can obviously see, this works for midi parts too. I like recording and looping audio much more, but in the case of drums, I like how after a loop for 8 bar or so, my performance gets quantised, so I can go back to jamming along to a beat I played which now has rock solid timing. Sweet.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am

I need some help!

I'm recording 4 bar loops in via this process. I then want to be able to change the loops lengths at will. At the moment I can use one knob to change the loops length but when I move to the next loop as soon as I touch the knob it shoots to length of the previous loop.

How can I get it too be relative to each loop? I am using a Evolution UC33e.

Thanks

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:13 am

You need to go into preferences and mess around a bit with the takeover mode dropdown. I think it's in the midi prefs tab.

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:45 pm

anyone know of a way to set the default clip behavior (ie follow actions) for newly recorded loops? Ive got a variant of this setup to record 16 1/16 bar loops, all in a row, for live recording and retriggering: but i need them to all start out with a default 1/16 bar 'play next' follow action, and as of now i can think of no way to do this on the fly without manually changing it all. Any help would earn bonus points...
i drop on the lokeymassive