God help America..!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
popslut

God help America..!

Post by popslut » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:48 pm

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Mr. Peanut and his peanut butter army shall have the last laugh.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:10 pm

That explains the funding for peanuts being included in the bill before the congress for emergency Iraq funding.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... ?track=rss

Image + Image + Image = Image
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Auw ouch ah... Brainfreeze....

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:06 pm

hoho,
I like how that tramp at the beginning starts off with absolute affirmation on christian theories and then undermines the theories of evolution with her quip on 'supposedly scientific' experiments......supposedly scientific ? and what the hell is this peanut butter experiment ? a noble prize winner in the making ? I didnt realise M.I.T were involved in the jar opening
spreader of butter

halfadder
Location: inside the radiator with the lady who sings about heaven

Post by halfadder » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:13 pm

"God help America..!" ???

since when is christianity and american invention?

som[e]

Post by som[e] » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:19 pm

wow, just wow. they can't even correctly define what they don't believe in. the theory of evolution does not state that life emerges from matter+energy. the theory of evolution is about change over time, natural selection and survival of the fittest. it's been 5 minutes since i saw the video, and i'm still in awe at how poorly they understand what they are trying to deride.

som[e]

Post by som[e] » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

halfadder wrote:"God help America..!" ???

i took the thread title to refer to the fact that these were american christians who produced the segment for an american television audience (possibly on an american christian network).

halfadder

Post by halfadder » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:16 pm

som[e] wrote:

i took the thread title to refer to the fact that these were american christians who produced the segment for an american television audience (possibly on an american christian network).
yeah me too. i just get annoyed by generalizations and finger pointing towards americans as if we all came out of a plastic injection mold.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 pm

halfadder wrote:
som[e] wrote:

yeah me too. i just get annoyed by generalizations and finger pointing towards americans as if we all came out of a plastic injection mold.
...that says "Made in China".
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

halfadder

Post by halfadder » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
halfadder wrote:i just get annoyed by generalizations and finger pointing towards americans as if we all came out of a plastic injection mold.
...that says "Made in China".
:D :D :D

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 pm

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:09 pm

som[e] wrote:

Yeah, maybe for an Appalachian bible school.

This would not be on mainstream American television. This has nothing to do with Americans. The author of this thread has some pretty transparent and uninformed bias.

The video is still funny, however.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

popslut

Post by popslut » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:30 pm

kramerica wrote:This has nothing to do with Americans. The author of this thread has some pretty transparent and uninformed bias.
I'm perfectly well aware that not all Americans share these views and my American friends view this kind of stuff with the same mix of incredulity and horror that I do.

But...

It shouldn't need pointing out but this kind of whacky creationist bullshit has very little mileage outside the USA.

The whole "intelligent design" movement is almost exclusively an American phenomenon and this video is quite obviously made by Americans for an American audience.

Hence the thread title. [Note the ironic use of the word "God"]

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:07 pm

popslut wrote:
kramerica wrote:This has nothing to do with Americans. The author of this thread has some pretty transparent and uninformed bias.
I'm perfectly well aware that not all Americans share these views and my American friends view this kind of stuff with the same mix of incredulity and horror that I do.

But...

It shouldn't need pointing out but this kind of whacky creationist bullshit has very little mileage outside the USA.

The whole "intelligent design" movement is almost exclusively an American phenomenon and this video is quite obviously made by Americans for an American audience.

Hence the thread title. [Note the ironic use of the word "God"]
Fair enough, but remember that the US is a huuuge country of 300 million people, meaning it is inevitable that we'll have more fringe lunatic groups than say a European nation of 50 million.

You say "I'm aware that NOT ALL AMERICANS share these views..." - implicit in that statement is that the majority or at least a large number compared to the population as a whole do share these views. That is totally false. The "creationists" comprise about 0.01% of our population at best (you can't count children, it's not their fault their parents are morons). That's like saying "I know NOT ALL muslims blow themselves up, but..." It's just misleading.

And it's too often overlooked that people lump in "creationists" and "Christians", when (a) the creationists are comprised of southern US evangelical protestants; not Catholics, not Orthodox, not other protestants, etc. I don't identify myself with either but it's important to call things what they are.

The fact that an American Southern evangelical made a funny video for like minded American Southern evangelicals does not equate to "an American making a video for an American audience".

If I make a song and sell it at the local record shop, it would serve no purpose and be quite misleading to say that "I, an American, made a song for Americans". I'm a musician that made music for music listeners. Likewise, those idiots made a video for fellow idiots.

I guess that's my point. :wink:
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /