Mac OS X audio editor?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evernaut

Mac OS X audio editor?

Post by evernaut » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:22 am

Hey guys - am in need of a new wave editor for Mac OS X. I've used ( and loved) Wavelab on the PC for a year or so, but now I'm back on the Mac and hunting...

I've tried Peak, but it just feels clumsy to me - having to select a tool to zoom in and out is annoying ( although I know you can use Apple [ ) ... and I don't care much for Audacity either.

So - any views on DSP Quattro? I'm gonna dl the demo and see what gives, but opinions are welcome.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:27 am

Def. worth a look http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/wave_editor.php

DSP Quattro has a lot of fans too

blacklightmartin

Post by blacklightmartin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:58 am

Evernaut,

Have a look at Amadeus Pro: http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/AmadeusPro.html

Regards,
Martin

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Check out Wave Editor from Audiofile Engineering, pretty cool app. The new version will all the CD burning.

Or, just run wavelab in parallels still, which is what I do for now :)

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:21 pm

I'm loving the simplicity of Wave Editor. Once 1.3 drops with burning I'll be all set.
Image Image

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:33 pm

Tarekith wrote:Check out Wave Editor from Audiofile Engineering, pretty cool app. The new version will all the CD burning.

Or, just run wavelab in parallels still, which is what I do for now :)
I wish you could use parallels on a powerbook...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:09 pm

I got dsp-quattro - not soundforge but close

It has the drag n drop for creating new samples...brilliant
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:41 pm

wave editor seems like the best solution for osx....they use izotope algorhithms for sample rate reduction and dithering , excellent algos apparently
spreader of butter

noborders

Post by noborders » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:11 am

I find Peak very easy to use and powerful. Zooming in/out is super fast with Apple+[ command. Has anyone used both Peak Pro and DSP-Quattro and see how they compare?

BTW, Bias just announced Peak Pro 6:

Actuel

Post by Actuel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Peak = BLOAT!

I've tried them all and Wave Editor is the clear winner imo. Its can be both incredibly simple and deep at the same time. I like that its so customizable and allows the user to define their workflows and windows.

I'm a fan of DSP-Quattro but moved to WE after waiting so long for promised upgrades and the still unreleased UB version...great software nonetheless.

WE is constantly refining, adding and staying up-to-date on their software. Their support alone is unmatched.

Now i'm gonna avoid bashing Peak but lets say I wouldn't take a free copy...not even to resale it. Not only is the software Bloat the owner is a gas too! (this goes way back to a beef where Peak owner talked mad smack on DSPQ over at OSX Audio...back when they were still doing new software releases on the front page...many of us remember)

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. Pity that WE only works with Tiger as I'm still using Panther and don't want to upgrade just yet.

So - DSP Q it is!

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:53 pm

evernaut wrote:Thanks for the thoughts. Pity that WE only works with Tiger as I'm still using Panther and don't want to upgrade just yet.

So - DSP Q it is!
Quattro is still a really good option if you're not on an Intel Mac.

And there's a cross-grade offer to WE from Quattro, which I took advantage of.
Image Image

4ace

Post by 4ace » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:48 pm

Actuel wrote:Peak = BLOAT!

I've tried them all and Wave Editor is the clear winner imo. Its can be both incredibly simple and deep at the same time. I like that its so customizable and allows the user to define their workflows and windows.

I'm a fan of DSP-Quattro but moved to WE after waiting so long for promised upgrades and the still unreleased UB version...great software nonetheless.

WE is constantly refining, adding and staying up-to-date on their software. Their support alone is unmatched.

Now i'm gonna avoid bashing Peak but lets say I wouldn't take a free copy...not even to resale it. Not only is the software Bloat the owner is a gas too! (this goes way back to a beef where Peak owner talked mad smack on DSPQ over at OSX Audio...back when they were still doing new software releases on the front page...many of us remember)
I guess i'll have to bite the bullet and check into the crossgrade for W.E as it looks like DSP Quattro won't release a UB version anytime soon........

I agree about Peak being BLOATWARE I also dislike the support i was given.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:44 am

I second amadeus pro.

It's very cheap, and I don't know what else you would really need in an audio editor.

The link is above somewhere.
Last edited by R.J.Dubya on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

dango

Post by dango » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 am

I use Peak as well.