Sasha remix contest using Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hat

Sasha remix contest using Live?

Post by hat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:36 am

I'm looking all over the internet for more info on what a friend told me about earlier today. He said it was in some magazine which the name escaped him, something about a Sasha remix contest from the new album, has to be done using Live!, or something to that effect.

Could be cool...just thought I'd see if anyone has more info?

dfusion

Post by dfusion » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:25 am

There was one like this for BT last year.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:47 am

have you looked at the website - apparently you can download wavy gravy samples there

hat

Post by hat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:27 pm

forge wrote:have you looked at the website - apparently you can download wavy gravy samples there
yes, that was a contest from 2 years ago when "Airdrawn" was released. I'm surprised those links are still active. I'm beginning to think my friend is thinking of a different artist entirely.

hat

Post by hat » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:20 pm

thanks so much....that's the one...!

Remco Halderhooter

Post by Remco Halderhooter » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:43 pm

Is anyone on here entering this? If so, are you using the restricted version 2 offered with the loops or a full version?

I don't think you can really make the tune your own with 3 FX devices, 6 tracks and no chopping about in the arranger view. Only playing loops in the session view is a bit restrictive. Am I missing some obvious sound mangling possibilities?

I emailed M-audio and got no reply and the rules aren't specific about the version you can use.

cheers, RH

hat

Post by hat » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:47 pm

Using the full version. You can use whichever version of Live you want.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:11 pm

wow trying to be like sasha, that is really thinking outside of the box.

what a ridiculous waste of Ableton's time for people to have ambitions like this.

You should surrender your copy of Live to one of the crackheads who might me making something original.

Pfffft.

hat

Post by hat » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:17 pm

anonymouse wrote:wow trying to be like sasha, that is really thinking outside of the box.

what a ridiculous waste of Ableton's time for people to have ambitions like this.

You should surrender your copy of Live to one of the crackheads who might me making something original.

Pfffft.
twat.

rasputin

Not trying to sound like Sasha at all...

Post by rasputin » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:37 pm

anonymouse wrote:wow trying to be like sasha, that is really thinking outside of the box.

Pfffft.
I didn't look at it that way at all. I thought it would be an interesting experiment, since as far as I know I've never heard anything by Sasha. So I downloaded the samples and listened to them. First thing I noticed was how well produced they were.

So my goal was not to attempt to sound like Sasha whatsoever.

I put a track together (a recent version of it is on acidplanet if anyone cares) and had a gas doing it. I used Live 3 only with its effects (no VST FX). I created one sample of my own by resampling one that was in the kit, but besides that I only used those. I still have not heard Sasha's "Involver" but I do want to that soon to see what he did with those samples and loops.

This was so much fun to do that I'm thinking of another project like it. On the Gentle Giant "Under Construction" CD there's a track about 20 minutes long with a whole bunch of samples, riffs and loops from them that are copyright free. I am going to try to create an entire track in Live just using them.

r.

Remco Halderhooter

Post by Remco Halderhooter » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:47 pm

Pfffft.
Errr ... I don't want to be like Sasha ... that's why I want to use the full version so I can mangle the sounds as much as possible...

Rasputin: From what I've heard of it, I don't think the sounds are from Involver. It seems that the competition is more of a way of promoting the CD, M-audio and Ableton - and giving someone a break into the bargain. Have you got a direct link to your tune as I don't hang around acidplanet any more these days and can't remember my login. If you enjoyed fiddling around with those samples, go to www.djsasha.com, join up, go to the member area and you can get all the samples for his artist album.

cheers, RH

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:11 pm

Pfffft.
leave evryone to do his own thing with Live Pliez

jees..... its just a remix

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:32 pm

Aphex Twin once said he only likes remixes tracks that he doesn't like.

Basic Waveform

Re: Sasha remix contest using Live?

Post by Basic Waveform » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Does anybody still have the audio files from that contest? The pack was called Sasha_Involver.zip