Apple not shipping Leopard till OCT 2007

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Left Eye Dominant

Post by Left Eye Dominant » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:30 am

nobbystylus wrote:tis a shame.. mainly for the Core Animation things.. but apart from that i can wait... as long as it doesn't delay FCP/Motion ...
I can wait too, but it is a shame because it will, I strongly suspect, delay the release of FCP 6, Motion(3?) and Logic 8.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:05 am

I think there are some issues in marketing strategy with apple......but hey, I'm up late (again) and feeling no pain.....and want to type :lol: ......

iphone is not as "up to snuff/as ready to be released" as was hoped.......therefore all energeez are being pumped there and that will keep anything else "null" for some time.

There are new apple computers, but they are not necessarily "leapord" necesary.......er, what I mean is, tiger is cookin' along fine and all......yadda yadda.....

Final cut and logic pro are overdue for a make-over.......they will almost CERTAINLY be leapord reliant, and iphone takes precedence, which is why leapord isn't gonna happen till later.......which is why the updates/makovers have not been announced......etc/etc...etc.......

*personal input*......"as long as I waited (still waiting in some cases) for the UB stuff to show up, work, get fixed, etc........I don't care HOW long it takes for leapord........it's just saving me money. I won't buy it when it comes out.......it will probably be the NEXT apple (er, if that's the next computer) before I care about leaopard.........

ok, my finger are tired of typing.......

atlatnesiti

Post by atlatnesiti » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 am

At least we will not have to complaint about incompatibility issues and waiting impatiently for new releases of our beloved DAWs, AUs, VSTIs, sound-card drivers, etc; etc;... until October that is :wink:

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:31 pm

Machinate wrote:urgh. This is one good reasons why they shouldn't be putting out more different kinds of hardware...

I know, I simply can't imagine life without a new OS update from Apple...

Who gives a shit? The latest 10.4.9 is super stable. Please tell me what the burning desire is for 10.5? Wouldn't you rather wait until it's ready vs Apple rushing the upgrade?

I'm glad they are waiting and I probably won't upgrade until 10.4 or 10.5 anyways...

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:42 pm

thelike5 wrote:
Machinate wrote:urgh. This is one good reasons why they shouldn't be putting out more different kinds of hardware...

Who gives a shit? The latest 10.4.9 is super stable. Please tell me what the burning desire is for 10.5? Wouldn't you rather wait until it's ready vs Apple rushing the upgrade?

I'm glad they are waiting and I probably won't upgrade until 10.4 or 10.5 anyways...
I don't really care about Leopard per se. In fact, I just bought my Macbook, and a delay in releasing Leopard is actually making me feel better about having to buy it when I was trying to wait for Leopard only so I wouldn't have to pay for the upgrade cost.

But, I do care about Logic, and my situation is forcing me to wait for the update, or not perhaps if it is going to be so far away as October.

Best,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:17 pm

have they actually annouced a new logic?

what are the features?
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:25 pm

seems tiger doesn't fully support multicore hardware due to "core swapping"
and the new macpro suffer too of a memory bottleneck related to tiger itself:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/12/ ... o.hobbled/
Btw no problems here, loving so much my macpro & tiger combo.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:32 pm

ejectorset wrote:have they actually annouced a new logic?

what are the features?
Nope, not yet.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:32 pm

there ya go longjohns- new better smaller location!

i am curious about the new logic as well although it seems to be going towards the way of not being called Logic anymore or so the rumors say.
second class robot

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Tarekith wrote:
ejectorset wrote:have they actually annouced a new logic?

what are the features?
Nope, not yet.
Tarekith, go check out bigbluelounge. There was a post by someone, who apparently might be from Apple, that might hint that Logic 8 or whatever it will be named (the app whose name we shall not speak) is not reliant on Leopard, and therefore might come prior to Leopard.

I am sure that there are parts of Logic that will be optimized for Leopard (perhaps leopard contains improvements to CoreAudio, and the 64 bit architecture) but it would seem rather counter-intuitive to not allow Logic to run on Tiger. Perhaps tomorrow we will hear something from the NAB conference.

Best,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:24 pm

anti-banausic wrote:
thelike5 wrote:

I don't really care about Leopard per se. In fact, I just bought my Macbook, and a delay in releasing Leopard is actually making me feel better about having to buy it when I was trying to wait for Leopard only so I wouldn't have to pay for the upgrade cost.

But, I do care about Logic, and my situation is forcing me to wait for the update, or not perhaps if it is going to be so far away as October.

Best,
AB

Yeah, I'm with you. I just bought my macbook about two months ago. Love it! I had initial qualms about the switch from powerpc chips, and the initial batches of both macbooks & macbook pros certainly had there issues hardware wise. I'm glad I waited and as far as OS is concerned, I'll gladly wait.

Dosen't Logic 7 work fine on intel based machines? It's not like you can't use your software currently. I had to wait five months before I could use Korg Legacy Collection in a live or studio setting. It didn't kill me.

My argument is based on Machinate thinking Apple should abandon all hardware initiatives in favor of making him happy and releasing a new OS. It's just juvenile to think they are going to hold up production on something as revolutionary as the iphone which say what you want to say, has the whole worlds attention.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:35 pm

thelike5 wrote:

Who gives a shit?
Preaching to the choir there, mate. I don't give a shit really, I'm an avid pc user, have been for years and years. But imagine the ones that *are* eagerly awaiting the new os, just like we await Live 7, new instruments/effects and what not. If I was one of those people (I don't know, a dev or something?) I'd feel like Steve was postponing Christmas!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:52 pm

i agree as well. i just find it amazing that OS releases have been marketed like CD releases or film openings. I remember trying to go to the apple store in Soho NY and turning around cause there was a line around the block for an early release of Tiger! people think they need it that bad? plus it actually had an effect on the stock price yesterday too!
second class robot

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:35 pm

thelike5 wrote:
anti-banausic wrote:
thelike5 wrote:

Best,
AB

Yeah, I'm with you. I just bought my macbook about two months ago. Love it! I had initial qualms about the switch from powerpc chips, and the initial batches of both macbooks & macbook pros certainly had there issues hardware wise. I'm glad I waited and as far as OS is concerned, I'll gladly wait.

Dosen't Logic 7 work fine on intel based machines? It's not like you can't use your software currently. I had to wait five months before I could use Korg Legacy Collection in a live or studio setting. It didn't kill me.

My argument is based on Machinate thinking Apple should abandon all hardware initiatives in favor of making him happy and releasing a new OS. It's just juvenile to think they are going to hold up production on something as revolutionary as the iphone which say what you want to say, has the whole worlds attention.
I am actually just being a miser because I am a student. I can get the academic pricing for Logic, and I can wait a little while to see if they will put out 8 and then I can get the academic pricing for that. It will be a little while before I get the cash to buy at retail pricing, and can't upgrade from the academic, so I am waiting. Diligently.

Best,
AB

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 pm

eisnein wrote:i agree as well. i just find it amazing that OS releases have been marketed like CD releases or film openings. I remember trying to go to the apple store in Soho NY and turning around cause there was a line around the block for an early release of Tiger! people think they need it that bad? plus it actually had an effect on the stock price yesterday too!
The strange thing is....I would actually steer clear of most early releases because they tend to cause troubles for some things, and better to let someone else have the trouble and read about it, then experience it for yourself.

I honestly don't know why people upgrade their OS every time a new one is released and on the day of, unless you are having serious problems that are addressed in the release.

Best,
AB