Mac Audio Interface Advice...Por-Favor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iamnotcool

Mac Audio Interface Advice...Por-Favor

Post by iamnotcool » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 pm

So the time has finally come for me to need/desire a 2nd stereo output for live cueing. I do absolutely NO recording whatsoever, so the need for inputs isn't there. For this circumstance, is a firewire interface really necessary? I understand that USB units have a bit more input latency, but does this apply to monitoring too? Also, have some of the firewire audio issues with the MBP's under 10.4.9 been ironed out? I'm looking at the Audio Kontrol 1, Fast Track Pro, and Firewire 410...reason being that I can get substancial discounts on them. Are there any units in the sub $300 range that can do this job any better than those 3?
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:38 am

anyone?
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:42 am

anything except the FW410. Do a search here or on google to see why (in brief: it sucks).

If you're just wanting a cue out, then I imagine a USB would be fine for your needs.

My only other advice is to go with a reputable manufacturer - steer clear of cheap M-Audio solutions becuause they end up wasting your time and patience.

I use an Ultralite, but that's probably too feature-packed for you.

alan*

Post by alan* » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:26 pm

perhaps try the echo audiofire 2 or 4 ... i have the 2, and so far am quite happy with it, i do get the feeling that it doesn't quite meet the quality of my motu traveller but not complaining bout sound quality at all. As a portable interface it seems quite adequate. If you can afford it tho i recomend go motu or rme firewire, perhaps focusrite also i hear may be worth checking out.
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika