Little Phatty or Voyager?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smartabletonuser

Little Phatty or Voyager?

Post by smartabletonuser » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:47 am

I can afford the Voyager, but it's gonna hurt dropping that much cash.

I've read up on both but can't seem to discern the major differences. should i settle for the phatty or should i splurge for the big boy?

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:28 am

Voyager all the way

freqn

Post by freqn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:31 am

buy it before you regret settling for less.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:47 am

i was about to plonk $$ for a lil phatty yesterday

i played with both side by side

there is no comparison..

the 3rd oscillator realli helps nail a lot of the moog sounds and wtf was i thinking .. a synth without a noise generator... :S

mimesis

GO VOYAGER

Post by mimesis » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:09 am

It's worth every penny. At first, I found the sound -polite. (still warm and fat sounding though) - After learning how to use it- I found how to get that RAW presence- like the model D, and the overdrive feature of the little fatty. This weekend I got the moogerfooger analog delay- and that has a drive knob- and it sounds KILLER. Get it, and take care of it- you will not regret it.

mimesis

www.whoismimesis.com
www.myspace.com/imimesis
live 6.0.5, Logic 7.1.1 OS X 10.4.8, minimoog voyager EB, MF-104Z Analog Delay, MF ring mod, Machinedrum SPS-1 UW, Virus TI desktop, PMG5 2.0DP/1.5GB, Mackie Control/XT/C4, MOTU midi express 8X8, AKAI MPD 16, MOTU TRAVELER.

JACKAL & HYDE

Re: Little Phatty or Voyager?

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:14 am

smartabletonuser wrote:I can afford the Voyager, but it's gonna hurt dropping that much cash.

I've read up on both but can't seem to discern the major differences. should i settle for the phatty or should i splurge for the big boy?

Neither...

By far and away a Studio Electronics ATC-X. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/a ... seatcx.htm

Analog Moog 24db/ Oberhiem SEMS/ TB 303 and ARP 2600 REAL filters within with dedicated input and also ring Mod input... It can make fat shit forever and you can also run your VSTI's through its aray of 4 famous die hard analog filters all day and resample them deeper, punchier and heavier than ever.

Nuff said. :twisted:
Last edited by JACKAL & HYDE on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:25 am

I was just wondering whether or not to say just that: "neither" :-|
Seriously, for the kind of money you'd pay for the Voyager you can get one of these:
http://www.cwejman.net/CWEJMAN_WEBB-S1%20MK2.htm
AND still have money left over for kick-ass outboard effects, such as BOTH a TC M-one and an M-two... Just some food for thought here ;-)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

gerard

Post by gerard » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:39 am

If haven't played any, but what if you had to compare the fatty and the virus? Just curious :)
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

rachmanoff

Post by rachmanoff » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:27 pm

sweetjesus wrote:i was about to plonk $$ for a lil phatty yesterday

i played with both side by side

there is no comparison..

the 3rd oscillator realli helps nail a lot of the moog sounds and wtf was i thinking .. a synth without a noise generator... :S
the phatty is an amazing sounding synthesizer.

while they'd be nice to have, i don't think a 3rd oscillator and a noise source are really worth 1600 bucks. (of course the voyager adds more than just that.. but that's all you said)

now it won't give you a third oscillator, but the Moog CP-251 will give the phatty an audio noise source, a seond lfo, and a lot more.

LP + CP251 = half the cost of a voyager.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:35 pm

gerard wrote:If haven't played any, but what if you had to compare the fatty and the virus? Just curious :)
Fatty will have that analog sound obviously, but the Virus will have way more options for sound design. I think it just comes down to whether or no you want that totally authentic analog sound honestly. The Virus can sound pretty analog in a mix, but I wouldn't get one expecting it to sound 100% analog. I hate how synth manufacturers call these Virtual Analogs, just pigeon holes them where they don't need to be IMO.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Contra

Post by Contra » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:41 am

JACKAL & HYDE wrote:
smartabletonuser wrote:I can afford the Voyager, but it's gonna hurt dropping that much cash.

Neither...

By far and away a Studio Electronics ATC-X. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug03/a ... seatcx.htm

Analog Moog 24db/ Oberhiem SEMS/ TB 303 and ARP 2600 REAL filters within with dedicated input and also ring Mod input... It can make fat shit forever and you can run your VSTI's through its aray of 4 famous die hard analog filters all day and resample them deeper, punchier and heavier than ever.

word been lookin into one of these for a while.

glad to hear more about whut it does.
pz.

JACKAL & HYDE

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Contra wrote:
JACKAL & HYDE wrote:

Neither...

Analog Moog 24db/ Oberhiem SEMS/ TB 303 and ARP 2600 REAL filters within with dedicated input and also ring Mod input... It can make fat shit forever and you can run your VSTI's through its aray of 4 famous die hard analog filters all day and resample them deeper, punchier and heavier than ever.

word been lookin into one of these for a while.

glad to hear more about whut it does.
pz.

Yes, funny how some of the most powerful devices used by many of the Worlds top producers are underground and not found in guitar center/sweetwater guides. So they go un-noticed by the masses. All of Studio Electronics pieces are found in the top studios across the globe. ANd as I stated, the fact that you can input using all those real analog filters within it and the ring mod seperatley arguably makes the ATCX the last hardware synth you would ever buy to run vsti's through.

the_viirus

Post by the_viirus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:51 pm

get the voyager rack. you will still get the voyager sound but youll save some money.