dont think I can be arsed with Vista

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

dont think I can be arsed with Vista

Post by forge » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:29 pm

Not something I'd go to the bother of enduring

there's a bit too much bullshit and unneccessary crap and being expected to make so many concessions to accept it into your life

what the hell is wrong with XP?????

apart from the visual side of it which was a bit too fischer price for my liking, but all I had to do to get rid of that was some download or other of a hack that made it possible to skin it

I like the fact that you can now search like the mac heads, which is a given really

but the rest of it is not worth the headache

I cant get my head around releasing it while so much was unsupported, that's bollox these days - they could have released it when the fook\en thing was ready

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:32 pm

upgrades should be invisible

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:34 pm

think of it as os9 switch to osx... a world of difference.

personally i miss os9

Machinate

Re: dont think I can be arsed with Vista

Post by Machinate » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:35 pm

forge wrote:what the hell is wrong with XP?
Hey man, long time no see!
I agree with you, that's why I haven't even glanced at Vista yet. Probably won't for the next very long time either.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:36 pm

Something tells me, Vista will be something like Windows Millennium, before XP....something big is coming next

forge

Post by forge » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:29 am

I actually have a copy because I'm an IT student and alot of it is good - finally catching up with OSX in alot of ways, but this bollox of nothing being compatible with it yet makes it a bit pointless, and it's sluggish and buggy

not to mention the ridiculous security crap "you are looking at the computer, cancel or allow" (yeah the mac ad was right there)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:46 am

forge wrote:I actually have a copy because I'm an IT student and alot of it is good - finally catching up with OSX in alot of ways, but this bollox of nothing being compatible with it yet makes it a bit pointless, and it's sluggish and buggy

not to mention the ridiculous security crap "you are looking at the computer, cancel or allow" (yeah the mac ad was right there)
u can turn that off without affecting security

turn off indexing and follow some vista tweaks

it took us many years to master the beast that is xp and its inner workings, vista is a step in the right direction.

and the big thing is called singularity.

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:55 am

Another factor, is that XP will be supported by microsoft till 2014, or so they said :\
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

forge

Post by forge » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:07 am

sweetjesus wrote:
forge wrote:I actually have a copy because I'm an IT student and alot of it is good - finally catching up with OSX in alot of ways, but this bollox of nothing being compatible with it yet makes it a bit pointless, and it's sluggish and buggy

u can turn that off without affecting security

turn off indexing and follow some vista tweaks

it took us many years to master the beast that is xp and its inner workings, vista is a step in the right direction.

and the big thing is called singularity.
yeah i did manage to turn it off, but now I get the baloon at the bottom of the screen telling me it's off

actually the point I'm making is I didnt feel like it did take long to master XP - when I bought my laptop in 2003 with XP home it just worked and never gave me a problem - 98/95 were the beasts that crushed the will to live

I did have probs with XP pro early on on a FrankenPC, but that was because it was a copy and I couldnt get the updates

dont get me wrong, I can see the potential, but somebody somewhere did wrong - either they made the SDKs too expensive, or cryptic, or whatever reason it is that so many developers of hardware and software are still not ready - I just would have thought they could have got that one right a bit sooner

sur it happened for OSX, but Microsoft has a much bigger market share so I would have thought it would have been a priority

anyway, me moaning about it wont help

I'm just not sure the leap in what it offers is enough to bother with considering in most cases XP cuts it just fine

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:58 am

Vista will be fine - in about 2 years. Until then, keep on running XP. XP was not good for a couple of years too. By then all the drivers and incompatibility issues that are going to be sorted will be 99% sorted and you'll know for sure whether or not your audio card/software/midi interface etc. will be truly supported or whether you'll need to scrap 'em and buy new...

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:26 am

sweetjesus wrote:think of it as os9 switch to osx... a world of difference.

personally i miss os9
what do you miss about it? I like it's simplicity, but nowadays when I go back I find it to be lacking. Also, some weird stuff can happen with it now and then.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

forge

Post by forge » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:58 am

I've just installed OS X86 on my PC - havent got around to ironing out the problems (there are a few tweaks that need doing apparently) but it boots up and works - safari keeps crapping out but the network port at least gives me internet

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:36 am

confusion......

but to clarify........

intelmacs was the worst thing to happen simply because of how hard/how much time it's taking/has taken developers to half-ass get it right.

vista will be a significant upgrade regardless of the haters because it will introduce vast improvment in audio/video integration vs. previous "pc" versions......but as already mentioned.......it will be awhile. (intelmac, vista, 64 bit vs 32 bit, who's ready to integrate....leaopard is comming.....cubase and the whole "vst" thing......it's just not a stable time right now.......)

on a side note, a year ago I (and many others) thought tech was on an up-swing.........WRONG! Tech is too volitle right now.

Moral?

If you can (and many cannot, me included it seems) save your money and get by with what you have. Make the most out of it........SQUUUEEEEEEZZZZZEEEE it and try not to "keep up".......you will save boo-koo cash and get in when it's kosher :wink: