Process your MP3 and WAV files with Platinum Notes software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djyakov

Process your MP3 and WAV files with Platinum Notes software

Post by djyakov » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:01 am

Hi everyone,

Mixed In Key team is proud to announce Platinum Notes. This new software analyzes your MP3 and WAV files and corrects areas that need improvement. Platinum Notes makes your music sound clean and powerful on any sound system.

We licensed the best algorithms from iZotope and zplane.development to make this possible. Platinum Notes is 100% automated, so it can batch-process hundreds of files with one click. Add your files to the "Analyze and Process Songs" window, click "Start Processing" and Platinum Notes will generate new 320 Kbit MP3s or WAV files. It doesn't overwrite your current files.

Here is the main window screenshot:

Platinum Notes was designed with Ableton Live in mind. We actually used Live to mix the MP3 demo on our website. We use Platinum Notes to process every MP3 and WAV file before we play it.

Check it out:

http://www.PlatinumNotes.com

Thanks,
Yakov

burgessa23

Post by burgessa23 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:06 am

is there a mac version planned?

djyakov

Post by djyakov » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:12 am

Sure. We are a Microsoft ISV Partner, so we usually create Windows software before Mac software. We'll get started on the Mac version very soon.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:29 am

Stuff like this scares me.

Without sounding like a too much of a dickhead, why would I want automated software adding extra harmonic content to all my mp3s?

If I purchase mp3's legitametly, am I not to assume that they have already been professionally mastered (most of the time) on gear worth 10's of thousands of dollars?

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:23 am

cant get the website to work from here, how much is it and is there a demo?
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 11501&q=hi

djyakov

Post by djyakov » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:27 pm

timothyallan wrote:Stuff like this scares me.

Without sounding like a too much of a dickhead, why would I want automated software adding extra harmonic content to all my mp3s?

If I purchase mp3's legitametly, am I not to assume that they have already been professionally mastered (most of the time) on gear worth 10's of thousands of dollars?

Hi Timothy,

Platinum Notes was designed to correct the technical problems with every file. It keeps the original music and vibe as much as possible and doesn't "color" the sound.

For example, some files in your music collection may be too loud or too quiet. There are some files that are detuned in the "post-production" process. Platinum Notes fixs those problems and creates clean, professional-sounding files. It has only two output options: 320 Kbit MP3 or uncompressed WAV.

It's true that most music files are mastered by $10,000 worth of equipment. However, many of them clip due to high volume, are over-compressed and don't sound the same as the rest of your music collection. If you manually post-process every file, it adds a professional "final touch" to your DJ mixes. It's possible to do this manually (using Waves, iZotope Ozone or Vintage Warmer), but we found a way to automate the whole process with PN, and add "pitch correction" as well.

the ar

Post by the ar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 pm

Sorry mate,
but for 'clean and professional sounding' tracks I try and nail my mixdown down as much as possbile, and then let a well trained mastering engineer (with a good pair of fresh ears) finish the job for me.
Good mastering comes from good ears, and good knowledge.
No script or automated program can do that for you.
Thumbs down from me.

the ar

Post by the ar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:22 pm

djyakov wrote: It's true that most music files are mastered by $10,000 worth of equipment. However, many of them clip due to high volume, are over-compressed and don't sound the same as the rest of your music collection. If you manually post-process every file, it adds a professional "final touch" to your DJ mixes. It's possible to do this manually (using Waves, iZotope Ozone or Vintage Warmer), but we found a way to automate the whole process with PN, and add "pitch correction" as well.
That's a load of crap, too.

the ar

Post by the ar » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:31 pm

And by the way, the audio 'examples' leave me rather speechless.
Putting aside the awful sound quality (which I define 'very much unprofessional, specially if you are trying to sell a program that should 'master' your tunes), I could get the same results just by shoving a few vst's with random presests on my master bus.
And sorry if I've insulted anybody, but the overall feel of this program doesn't convince me at all.
Enough with the bashing, just my two cents.

robin

Post by robin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Listened to the demo (before and after). Hmmm I'm not sure on that pitching up it does. I have full control of that myself in Live I'm not sure I really want a processor to decide that for me.

So I'm guessing that it analyses, figures out the nearest 'key' to the one it's at and then rounds off to that key?

djyakov

Post by djyakov » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 pm

robin wrote:Listened to the demo (before and after). Hmmm I'm not sure on that pitching up it does. I have full control of that myself in Live I'm not sure I really want a processor to decide that for me.

So I'm guessing that it analyses, figures out the nearest 'key' to the one it's at and then rounds off to that key?
Right. It uses zplane.development's "Elastique" filter to correct pitch without changing the tempo. I believe it's also used in one of Ableton Live pitch modes and Native Instruments' Traktor.

robin

Post by robin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:23 pm

djyakov wrote: Right. It uses zplane.development's "Elastique" filter to correct pitch without changing the tempo. I believe it's also used in one of Ableton Live pitch modes and Native Instruments' Traktor.
Thanks for clearing that up.

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:39 am

The pitch thing is clever. But what does it do to a song that changes key slightly half way through? How does it know what needs correcting?

Also is it just for DJs really - how might it be useful in a tune with no vocals or whatever? Does it just add some compression?

djyakov

Post by djyakov » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:48 pm

brightonalex wrote:The pitch thing is clever. But what does it do to a song that changes key slightly half way through? How does it know what needs correcting?
It checks if the notes are "on key" -- so they aren't between two different notes. Even if the key changes, PN will adjust the track correctly.

brightonalex wrote: Also is it just for DJs really - how might it be useful in a tune with no vocals or whatever? Does it just add some compression?
If there is too much compression, Platinum Notes expands the song and gives it better dynamics. If the song is too quiet (not compressed enough), PN will add gentle compression.

Mark Ethier, the CEO of iZotope says, “Platinum Notes addresses an important problem faced by DJs and music enthusiasts. The combination of Platinum Notes' simple interface and iZotope signal processing enables customers to make the most of their music libraries”.

We licensed the same iZotope plug-ins as used in the new Sound Forge 9.0, but automated them to save you time.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:20 am

"Platinum Notes addresses an important problem faced by DJs and music enthusiasts."

What IS this problem, that the tracks they bought don't sound good enough?