how to get away from the ableton sound.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:54 am

ethios4 wrote: I didn't realize for awhile that the sound quality suffers, even if the tempo has not been changed.d.
prove it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

do_om

Post by do_om » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:58 am

Yeah, the 1's and 0's in Live's summing engine def has a more grainy, platic vibe to them compared to a HD3 PT system :) So either you can get some real skill, go with the badger alt mutant rhino approach, or maybe think about a career as a carpenter,
tho' some hammers share Live's transparency issues....

radib

Post by radib » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:28 am

a real professional super hyper giga whatthefuck studio based on pro tools will cost you about 50.000, fitting accessoires as monitors, mics and stuff included. then you´ll need even a specially designed room for not fuck up any subtle frequency. once there you can write the most polished and clean music ever, and i guess you´ll find someone saying "oh yeah thats really good!" as far as you let him a few superchicks you rent that evening for another 10.000 bucks.

or you accept a certain dirtyness and work out (alcohol, drugs, movies, literature, friends and cheap sex may help you there) some unique style with lousy beginner-proggies for ghettoclass-people and have a real nice time without so much caring about crap like "uhhhhhh, why does the program have its own sound? it should be transparent, i wanna hear a pure nothing!".
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

blank

Post by blank » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:47 am

Is it a disguised Ableton sounds bad thread ?

I know some live devices are recognizable but isn't it like this for every daw
( fl studio, cubase, sonar, protools le) ?

Maybe it's cause you ear it too often, do you really think a end user listening to your track on myspace ( someone like your mom maybe) will say, oh my god he uses the Auto filter on this one, I bet this lead is made with operator passed trough the saturator pluggin...

If you don't like operator, why did you get it ?

I mean, operator is an fm synth and he's freaking good at it . It's a really good drum synth, bell synth, bass synth ( like maybe a lot of fm synth) to me, and as far as I know, to everyone I know using it.

Fm have nothing to see with analog sounding, it's digital all the way, i'm pretty sure that you wont be able to tell it's operator on a well programmed fm patches ( check some covert operators one or puremagnetik juice pack )

In fact, if you think you sound bad or boring, just open some books, get yourself into the sos archives instead of whinning against the app you use.
Johnisfaster wrote:BAD PRODUCERS SOUND LIKE THE TOOLS THEY USE.
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Ruud

Post by Ruud » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:59 am

A acoustic piano sounds as a acoustic piano
Hey I know that sound!
Isn't it the melody that makes the music?

If something is recorded in Live and you hear certain wellknown beats what is the problem?

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:59 pm

I think most of ableton's native plugins have a distinct sound - the reverb is a prime example - if you use 3rd party plugins and just use ablton as an arrangment tool or a sketch pad i don't think youll notice any difference at all.

Hoitabuam

Sound

Post by Hoitabuam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Yep: ethios4 gottit: WARP

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:50 pm

to "escape" from too easy to spot ableton sound I use a combination of hard and software.
The beats and some other stuff comes from the mpc or the 808 or the 909, which not only sound better (to me) but are more funny to play with.
lots of basslines comes from hardware synths, some digital some analog.
I still have a large mixing desk which is still the heart of my studio,
I split the 8 outs of my RME on the desk so that I can do some analog EQ action with the mixer and then back to computer.
By doing so I have more fun, I like to move real fader/knobs better that mousing them, I have the impression to have a better sound, I can go wild while recording with some dub effect (mixer as instrument).
The drawbacks:
after every session I have to write down the settings of the mixing desk, sometime I use all the 24 channels and it takes me ages to write down the setting for each channel, then I have to write down the settings of analog synth where you can't save presets, I have to check that all is recallable, not the funny part of the game.

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 pm

minimal wrote: The drawbacks:
after every session I have to write down the settings of the mixing desk, sometime I use all the 24 channels and it takes me ages to write down the setting for each channel, then I have to write down the settings of analog synth where you can't save presets, I have to check that all is recallable, not the funny part of the game.
Yeah, that is a bitch. Why don't you just take a picture of the instrument settings with a digital camera... probably save you a bit of time. :)

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:25 pm

the usual suspects;

- Operator (especially the 'spread' function)
but who cares? A Juno 106 also always sounds as a Juno 106..
That's the character of the synth..

- Impulse's stretch function (because of it's bad quality, it has it's own sound)

- Beat Repeat (because it basicly does a pretty straight forward repeat)
but it also depends alot on how you use it..

- Autofilter.. (filter is bad, and therefore recognizable i.m.h.o)

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:56 pm

sqook wrote:
minimal wrote: The drawbacks:
Yeah, that is a bitch. Why don't you just take a picture of the instrument settings with a digital camera... probably save you a bit of time. :)
:evil:
..goes shopping for a new megamaxipixel digital camera

:wink:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:08 pm

Poster wrote:the usual suspects;

- Operator (especially the 'spread' function)
but who cares? A Juno 106 also always sounds as a Juno 106..
totally true, I own a juno 106 and I love the thing to pieces but it always sounds like a juno. same with my nord, it always sounds like a nord. thats why I bought them.

live has no sound, it's the devices you're using in live that people can identify as lives own. and why is that a terrible thing really? you bought live, are you really going to stear clear of impulses stretch just cause people might recignise it? (oh dear god I hope they don't figure out what program I use!)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:18 pm

yeah.. I bought my Nord for the exact same reasons..

But in my opinion there isn't really a Live sound..
Only a few devices that have their own specific recognizable character..

There are ways to camouflage this character if you want though..

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:23 pm

I am amazed by the number of replies to this simple question that become defensive or insulting to the poster. What's the deal?

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:32 pm

pulsoc wrote:I am amazed by the number of replies to this simple question that become defensive or insulting to the poster. What's the deal?
don't insult the badger.. he'll go straight to your nuts..

but seriously; I only read opinions and advices; no insults..

the simple question is not answered that easy because this is a very personal subject..