I love Stereolab

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:21 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:hey smutek, do you have ege bamashi and tago mago by can? Those are the really good ones, IMO, i'd be super surprised to hear anyone not digging them.

.lm.
No, don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying I don't dig them. I especially like Ege Bamyasi, I was just saying it doesn't get me going like stereolab does, it never has. Said more as a counterpoint to radib who seems to feel the opposite. It's all good though, to each their own.

A track like "anamorphose" is certainly more accesible then a track like "soup", but artistically I don't see one as being more deserving of merrit than the other. Not that anyone is saying that, but that accesibility, the more "traditional" or even "pop" structure of stereolab may be why this band is so appealing to me at the moment. I can just mindlessly rockout on the grooves or I can analyze structure, sound and lyrics deeper if I choose, because the depth is definitely there IMHO.

Now say its late night, I have a poster or some other project to do with a deadline the next day, this is the time I would listen to something like can, Einstürzende Neubauten, or the Residents, because it helps get my mind in the place I need or want it to be in at that moment. The other night I was in that situation and was up till 3:30 am with Eskimo on repeat.

rachmanoff

Post by rachmanoff » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:54 pm

I prefer the newer, shinier stereolab. sound-dust is a fantastic (and underrated)record.

radib

Post by radib » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:14 pm

smutek wrote:Well, it all a matter of personal taste I suppose.

definitely. to my taste stereolab is a bit to grown, while the other mentioned seem more splayful, more free jazzy and that somehow keeps me fresh. just personal and subjective. and there comes times when i really need to listen to stereolab all day through, most before or after having a long holidays with my extremely beloved bloody valentine.
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

radib

Post by radib » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:18 pm

smutek wrote:I don't know much about Faust

if you want, check their album "iv" for a while. more song-formatted than their very early work, but still very excessive. and really great sounding on headphones.
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:55 pm

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fixqyhldfe

If you like Stereo Lab, Flux- Protoplasmic is an album not to be missed. Check your PM box, Jimmy. :)

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:47 pm

suburbanbather wrote:http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fixqyhldfe

If you like Stereo Lab, Flux- Protoplasmic is an album not to be missed. Check your PM box, Jimmy. :)
Right on man, shot you a pm back. Getting ready to send that track I'm working on over to you via email as well.

peace!

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 pm

radib wrote:

if you want, check their album "iv" for a while. more song-formatted than their very early work, but still very excessive. and really great sounding on headphones.
Cool man, I will be sure to check it out, definitely on the list for next time I buy some new tunes!

telekom

Post by telekom » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:23 pm

Neu! are amazing. Stop what you're doing and go out and get Neu!75. You need it. If you haven't heard it before, no need to thank me now, but you will later. :)

I saw Fujiya and Miyagi live last night, a really good band let down by appalling sound (Glasgow sound engineers, get your fucking ears cleaned out, I'm sick of your terrible sound). Instead of drum machines though, I thought they needed Jaki Leibezeit from Can pounding the skins. They remind me a little of Neu!.
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:16 am

rachmanoff wrote:sound-dust is a fantastic (and underrated)record.
Totally agree there. 'Captain Easychord' is such an amazing song. I, too, love those repetitive melodies. They just hammer you. Particularly on Sound Dust, they hammer you with repition and then just totally flip the script in an instant. Rowdy stuff. But I've got the whole catalog and you really can't go wrong.
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo