Re Two Internal PC hard drives, one is fast one is slow

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Beeks

Re Two Internal PC hard drives, one is fast one is slow

Post by Beeks » Fri May 04, 2007 3:51 am

Hey guys -

To get the best general performance out of live (using this machine for composing rather than djing), am I better to make the faster drive my XP/Ableton software drive, and put samples and the library on the slower drive, or vice-versa.

My goal is overall speed, and hopefulling being able to load and preview files better during composition.

Cheers.
I'll take you out for a nice tandoori.

Haselmeier

Post by Haselmeier » Fri May 04, 2007 4:46 am

Hi,
are your disks so diffrent? i mean, today nearly all disks are able todo this job. _If you don't record a lot of tracks at once, i belive that both disks can do this job, so i would put the OS to the faster drive. Important is also, that the disks are defragmented, specially the sampledisk. On the other hand, you do not win so much with the faster disk for the OS and Prg's, booting will be fasterand maybe the start of a prog also (miliseconds!), but if a prog is allready started,it is inside the memory, so not much disk i/o's afterwards.
In my PC i use the same disks, andyes, one of them only for soundfiles and recording.
mhm, this wasn't very helpfull, but as long one of your drives is damn slow, it is the it is-.
S.

Beeks

Post by Beeks » Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 am

Cheers.

I just bought a 74gig 10,000 rpm disc and want to put it in, but trying to decide best way to do it - the other is a 300g 7,200.

Reason i got it (and a memory upgrade) is live was getting sluggish, particularly with being able to preview midi clips (which I know is a memory hog), but i was also getting slow screen redraws.

So i guess boot time is not a problem, its more in composition performance i am trying to improve (ie loading instruments, previewing samples, being able to copy/paste in arrangment view with less lag). Given the extra info what do you think i will get better rewards from?
I'll take you out for a nice tandoori.

googoo

Post by googoo » Fri May 04, 2007 10:28 am

CPU Upgrade.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri May 04, 2007 10:33 am

7,200rpm is fast enough for audio applications. You may just want to replace the slower HD with the fast one you've bought. I assume that is a system drive?