Support for iLok keys.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ersatzplanet

Support for iLok keys.

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun May 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I wish Ableton would offer optional support for the iLok key or offer a hardware dongle of some sort of it's own. That way I can have FULL features on any copy of Live I use and (mine and others). If it is optional then people who are afraid og losing or breaking thiers need not get one.

-J

BLynx

Post by BLynx » Mon May 14, 2007 6:04 am

A dongle??? 8O

Live is mostly an laptop app, that would RUIN the software for me!

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon May 14, 2007 7:23 am

NO dongle or iLok EVER please.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

forge

Post by forge » Mon May 14, 2007 9:23 am

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Mon May 14, 2007 10:53 am

i wouldnt mind the _option_ either.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 14, 2007 11:14 am

NO way.

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Mon May 14, 2007 2:46 pm

what exactly would an option to have one hurt those that choose _not_ to use the option.... ?

Robbie Ost

Post by Robbie Ost » Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 pm

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS ABLETON!
dongles are ok in the studio, but on the road?! ARrrgh!

:?

forge

Post by forge » Mon May 14, 2007 3:02 pm

DIgiDennis wrote:what exactly would an option to have one hurt those that choose _not_ to use the option.... ?
the iLok idea is ok - i.e. being able to take your authorisation anywhere

but Pace seems to be crap

the pace iLok thing is a nightmare - just have a look at the waves boards, they are FULL of complaints and problems about authorisation

and the waves and antares plug-ins I own, both run by pace, wont let you *choose* not to do it any more - you HAVE to use iLok

but waves advise you to ONLY have waves on the iLok otherwise it's not supported - so by that logic you would have to have one for every thing

imagine: a future paved with USB hubs full of dongles

the unlock data for Live is kept in a file called unlock.cfg, wouldnt it be simpler to just get your own cheap USB flash drive and save all your unlock files to it?

I dont know if you can choose where to put them like that, but you should be able to - that would be cool.

bugger iLok it's too restrictive.

[EDIT:] just requested it
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Mon May 14, 2007 6:26 pm

forge wrote: the unlock data for Live is kept in a file called unlock.cfg, wouldnt it be simpler to just get your own cheap USB flash drive and save all your unlock files to it?
yes that would be quite handy.....also for those that wants to use it illegal
as it is now its 'locked' to your machine id so you can still only use it on the machine its unlocked on....

i only have one app ( not music related ) that requires an ilok...and it works flawless.

at the time being i have been in contact with ableton support twice because of formats, HD change etc. ( they have been very fast and kind so thats not an issue ) and now i have to do it again at some point on my workstation but starting to feel a bit imbaressed by the amount of times i have requested in such short timeframe....

the request was not to change the entire license scheme but merly to voice an interest in having the option to choose from... atleast mine was.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon May 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Copy protection, DRM, etc. is a frontal assault on my rights as a consumer.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:34 pm

i'd sooner have support for Sandisk U3 type devices that allow installation and running of apps from a USB/Flash key,allowing me to use live on any PC I choose not just the one i authorized live on.

NO for iLok/PACE.

Alexis Forge

Post by Alexis Forge » Tue May 15, 2007 12:45 am

DIgiDennis wrote: i only have one app ( not music related ) that requires an ilok...and it works flawless.
that's the point though, I have Waves Gold bundle and 3 Antares plug-ins that all REQUIRE and iLok - and Waves give a little disclaimer saying they wont support you if you have more than one on there

pretty expensive with money and USB ports to have to have a different one for each dont you think

what ends up happening is you do what I do and just put them all on the one and just lump it that waves is no longer supported :roll:

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Tue May 15, 2007 8:45 am

annihilator.1 wrote:i'd sooner have support for Sandisk U3 type devices that allow installation and running of apps from a USB/Flash key,allowing me to use live on any PC I choose not just the one i authorized live on.

NO for iLok/PACE.
i think thats the whole point...i dont mind whatever solution works best...i would just like the option to take my apps where ever i choose to go..and yes i sometime go without my laptop

ersatzplanet

Support for iLok keys...

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue May 15, 2007 11:08 pm

I orignally suggested the iLok option because it would not cost Ableton any money (other than develpoment time) vs if they were to provide the hardware key themselves they woulld have to pay for them to stock them. The iLok system is user bought. It can, as otheres have mentioned, hold the unlock codes for more than one software package. All the problems I have heard with this system is with users who have multiple keys installed on the one hardware key. I would avoid that myself. The main point here is that it should be an *option* and not forced on anyone. If it breaks or is lost Live should function just as it does now when not authorized - it would be in play only mode. The only problem I can see is that live would have to be re-designed so that you would have to choose either a hardware key or a software key at activation - not both. This way it could not be abused as in I keep the key and give the software key to a friend. This is also why it will probably never go on a usb flash drive - flash drives can be copied thus bypassing the copyright. In any case if you don't like it just don't use it.