Xone 3D, Ableton 6, 2 TT and 2 CDJs – How to get most of it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJAcidBurn

Xone 3D, Ableton 6, 2 TT and 2 CDJs – How to get most of it?

Post by DJAcidBurn » Sat May 05, 2007 6:24 am

Just joined this forum so Hi everyone :)

I’ve been djing for a while – first turntables only, then I started playing from CD as well and recently decided to start using Ableton. Yesterday I made major upgrade in my setup – Xone 3D replaced Behringer DJX700. So obviously now I want my new toy working properly :)
I know what I want (or at least I think I know :wink: ) but I’m still learning Ableton and I’m not MIDI expert so I need some help.

Setup I’ve got:
2x turntables (Technics M5G and Stanton STR8-150)
2x CDJ-800Mk2
Xone 3D
Ableton Live 6.0.7
MacBook Pro 2GHz, 1GB RAM (I’ll get another GB RAM within the next few days)

And the idea is:
Xone ch 1 and 4 – CDJs
Xone ch 2 and 3 – turntables
Xone ch 1-3 (or 1-4) – 6 (or 8 ) Ableton tracks

I would like to have possibility to mix from all sound sources (obviously I know that in the end Xone has only 4 channels) but probably I’ll use turntables and CDJs for mixing and Ableton mostly for loops, effects, acapellas etc.
Also I would like to use Ableton as effects engine on all channels even when I’m using different sound source – for example adding Beat Repeat to the tune I’m playing from vinyl. Because Ableton would be mostly effects engine (at least at the beginning), I was thinking about adding few effects on each track, so I could choose the one I want using rotary encoders. Then potentiometers could be use for controlling effects (wet/dry etc), fader – clip volume, buttons below fader – launching clips, illuminated buttons – cue and jog wheel…. well, I was thinking about using it to adjust clip tempo (like using CDJ, well… kind of :wink:) but I don’t know if it’s possible. If not, which controls would you suggest to use – faders? I’m playing mostly dirty electro/breaks but also some d’n’b so I need tempo range around 120-180.
Also – if I want to record my set, should I use Ableton or something else (Logic Pro – good idea but not on the same computer, iPod – how to plug it in and what about sound quality? Maybe new Sony MiniDisc recorder… but I need at least temporary solution – after buying 3D I have to be careful with spending money :wink:).
I think something like this is what I want to get:

Xone ch1 – CDJ1, Ableton track1 Ableton FX
Xone ch2 – TT1, Ableton track 2 Ableton FX
Xone ch3 – TT2, Ableton track3 Ableton FX
Xone ch4 – CDJ2, Ableton track4 Ableton FX

I think that’s all…. Is it possible? I spend last 20 hours in front of my laptop and dj setup, reading all possible forum, tutorials and manuals trying to figure out how EXACTLY I want to setup my stuff… but I’m not quite sure anymore does it make any sense :wink:
I’ve already tried to do this, but I had some problems on the very beginning, so I hope that you will be able to give some advices, ideas. And if that configuration won’t work, how can I get something close to it?

Thanks
Hell is empty, all devils are here.

DJAcidBurn

Post by DJAcidBurn » Wed May 16, 2007 12:05 am

No one can give me any advice...? :(

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed May 16, 2007 1:07 am

take some acid and set it on fire in front of alot of people and you will be on the cover of dj times.

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed May 16, 2007 1:18 am

john gordon wrote:take some acid and set it on fire in front of alot of people and you will be on the cover of dj times.
:lol:

make sure its liquid acid, or they wont put you on the cover :wink:

DJAcidBurn

Post by DJAcidBurn » Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 am

Yeah... that's really helpful :?

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed May 16, 2007 1:36 am

well the best way to get a good thing going is to find out what works best for you.

why not spend 20 hours using it and see what works.

That is a great DJ setup, I'd sure would like to have it

Tone Deft

Re: Xone 3D, Ableton 6, 2 TT and 2 CDJs – How to get most of

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 16, 2007 1:41 am

And the idea is:
Xone ch 1 and 4 – CDJs
Xone ch 2 and 3 – turntables
Xone ch 1-3 (or 1-4) – 6 (or 8 ) Ableton track
I don't get that last entry. You can have 1 Xone output to any number of tracks, 1 Xone out per track. Use sends if you want to combine tracks.

Also I would like to use Ableton as effects engine on all channels even when I’m using different sound source – for example adding Beat Repeat to the tune I’m playing from vinyl. Because Ableton would be mostly effects engine (at least at the beginning), I was thinking about adding few effects on each track, so I could choose the one I want using rotary encoders. Then potentiometers could be use for controlling effects (wet/dry etc), fader – clip volume, buttons below fader – launching clips, illuminated buttons – cue and jog wheel….
That should be fine, look up DUMMY CLIPS in the tips n tricks section, in the manual look up racks and the Zone Selector to select FX. You can also use sends in Live for all this.

well, I was thinking about using it to adjust clip tempo (like using CDJ, well… kind of :wink:) but I don’t know if it’s possible. If not, which controls would you suggest to use – faders? I’m playing mostly dirty electro/breaks but also some d’n’b so I need tempo range around 120-180.
You can use an encoder to change bpm range. The range is set in a 'hidden' place (honestly haven't checked Live 6 for this, I'm still at work, can't check right now either). In Arrange View (the traditional DAW view) at the bottom is the master track, you set BPM range there. Definitely use Session View for DJing though.

Another trick is that if you name a scene 120bpm and launch it, the bpm goes to 120. By right clicking on a clip or hitting ctrl-e you can remove the stop button. You could have scenes with stop buttons removed, launch those scenes to change bpms, you could even use a midi keyboard and assign notes or use the computer keyboard, or... lots of options but you won't like most of them, try them out.

Also – if I want to record my set, should I use Ableton or something else (Logic Pro – good idea but not on the same computer, iPod – how to plug it in and what about sound quality? Maybe new Sony MiniDisc recorder… but I need at least temporary solution – after buying 3D I have to be careful with spending money :wink:).
Yes, you can use Live, no problem.

I think something like this is what I want to get:

I think that’s all…. Is it possible? I spend last 20 hours in front of my laptop and dj setup, reading all possible forum, tutorials and manuals trying to figure out how EXACTLY I want to setup my stuff… but I’m not quite sure anymore does it make any sense :wink:
I’ve already tried to do this, but I had some problems on the very beginning, so I hope that you will be able to give some advices, ideas. And if that configuration won’t work, how can I get something close to it?

Thanks
You can do all that, no problem. When I get new gear or majorly change my setup I start with something, change it, tweak it, tear it down, start over, set it up a new way and eventually get closer to what works best for me.

It's all up to you and time you spend with Live. btw keep the help box open in the lower left corner and read it OFTEN, the manual is pretty good, I use SEARCH on the .pdf version to get to topics.

So, where is your gear kept, what's your address and when are you not home? Sounds like fun.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

DJAcidBurn

Post by DJAcidBurn » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks a lot!

glysigakis

Post by glysigakis » Wed May 16, 2007 7:43 pm

What type of audio card you need to do these thinks?

A suggestion or an example please?
Thanks.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 16, 2007 7:44 pm

glysigakis wrote:What type of audio card you need to do these thinks?

A suggestion or an example please?
Thanks.
That mixer is a 4 channel sound card.

You need a 4 stereo channel sound card.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glysigakis

Post by glysigakis » Thu May 17, 2007 1:11 am

Thanks,but can you recommend one?Sound card,ok?