MAX/MSP for $79.20

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed May 16, 2007 6:35 pm

This thread is pretty funny.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed May 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Tone Deft wrote:15 people means $257.40, not a bad discount.
Still... Not a group buy.

It's for one company/institution/university buying several licenses.

-M

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:15 people means $257.40, not a bad discount.
Still... Not a group buy.

It's for one company/institution/university buying several licenses.

-M
No, you should read the site before passing judgment.

http://www.cycling74.com/purchase/discounts#po
Cycling '74 offers discounts on some of its software products to qualified students and teachers, and sells in quantity to Companies, Individuals, and Academic Institutions.
They use the words "quantity" and "Individuals" in the same sentence and distinctly different than companies and educational institutions.

http://www.cycling74.com/purchase/discounts#po
Cycling '74 offers multiple-copy discounts on software to anyone buying in quantity. All licenses sold under our quantity discount program will be registered in one name or company name, and cannot be transferred or resold to other individuals. Schools may not sell to students unless they are an authorized reseller.
The licenses would be under 1 name and aren't transferable. The text clearly separates out individuals from corporations and educational institutions. My guess is that the one name they'd be licensed to would be for simpler tracking purposes.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

the_viirus

Post by the_viirus » Wed May 16, 2007 7:05 pm

lets just get a hundred people to buy pluggo for $31.84.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed May 16, 2007 7:18 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Cycling '74 offers multiple-copy discounts on software to anyone buying in quantity. All licenses sold under our quantity discount program will be registered in one name or company name, and cannot be transferred or resold to other individuals. Schools may not sell to students unless they are an authorized reseller.
The licenses would be under 1 name and aren't transferable. The text clearly separates out individuals from corporations and educational institutions. My guess is that the one name they'd be licensed to would be for simpler tracking purposes.
OK. One individual can buy as well. I've followed that KVR thread from a few years back. And with that in mind... This does not look like a group buy.

Never meant to pass judgement on anyone - it just strikes me as strange that other peoples experiences in this matter goes by totally unnoticed.

I wish you all the best of luck with your discounts. Maybe things have changed.

-M

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 16, 2007 7:26 pm

Fuck it, I'll just contact C74 and tell them that I'm in a large users group with definite potential for 100 sales, we just want to know first before we waste our time.

Holy fuck, I can WALK 3 blocks to their offices from where I'm sitting right now, I'll just call.

Lo Fi, you're right, it's just for institutional users. The problem is that if the copies were sold to me as the 1 contact only I could activate all the licences, which makes sense if I'm the IT guy for a corporation or school, but not for 100 of you fools spread around the planet.

Most non-triumphant. :(

(and I couldn't get him to reveal anything about the Live/C74 collaboration.)
Last edited by Tone Deft on Wed May 16, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed May 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote:(and I couldn't get him to reveal anything about the Live/C74 collaboration.)
Cudos for trying to do that while you were at it! :D

Cheers,
M

the_viirus

Post by the_viirus » Wed May 16, 2007 7:45 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I don't know that KVR thread, my instinct tells me that it was probably a lot of talk but it stalled when it came to collecting money, putting the money up and making a firm commitment to C74, that's just how I see group cooperation go all too often, lots of talk, big responsibility, lots of trust amongst strangers, then it fizzles out.
in the case of the kvr group buy which used the same idea od this one, c74 just said no. "we know this is a group buy and this wont work. one person has to buy all 100 copies and they cant leave his hands."

essentially, one person with 100 copies for his OWN machines.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed May 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:(and I couldn't get him to reveal anything about the Live/C74 collaboration.)
Cudos for trying to do that while you were at it! :D

Cheers,
M
+1

MattyBoJangles

Post by MattyBoJangles » Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Why don't you all just get Pure Data (pd) for free?
http://pd.iem.at/

Besides the lack gui prettiness, it does basically the same thing. It's on GPL and you can pretty much do what you like with it. it was made by Miller Puckette, the same genius wo made Max, so give it a look. There is a pretty good web-based community, good examples for learning and many possibilities for it.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 pm

MattyBoJangles wrote:Why don't you all just get Pure Data (pd) for free?
http://pd.iem.at/

Besides the lack gui prettiness, it does basically the same thing. It's on GPL and you can pretty much do what you like with it. it was made by Miller Puckette, the same genius wo made Max, so give it a look. There is a pretty good web-based community, good examples for learning and many possibilities for it.
I'm quite impatient and cheap. My cheapness made me try PD, SC, Bidule and so forth. My impatience made me spring for Max/Msp because of it's super simple and informative tutorials. Easy to get to grips with.

-M

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Max users - I'm thinking that if I got Max I'd have to spend quite some time with it to do something useful. I'm picturing that after a week I could make something really dumb and not useful and I'd have to dedicate some REAL time before Max became useful. I'm thinking that if I got it it would be for fun and a way to really get my hands dirty with audio. All this at the cost of spending time with Live for a few weeks.

I guess what I'm asking is how immediately useful is Max?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Wed May 16, 2007 8:28 pm

As immediate as you like.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Max users - I'm thinking that if I got Max I'd have to spend quite some time with it to do something useful. I'm picturing that after a week I could make something really dumb and not useful and I'd have to dedicate some REAL time before Max became useful. I'm thinking that if I got it it would be for fun and a way to really get my hands dirty with audio. All this at the cost of spending time with Live for a few weeks.

I guess what I'm asking is how immediately useful is Max?
I'm ready to take the plunge on Max, Machinate said that even being a complete non-programer minded person, going through the tutorials you'll be getting your hands very dirty (in a fun way) in like 10 days. Plus, most of the things you'll end up wanting to make and spend hours and hours trying to make, if you visit the user area, somebody else has already made it and made it better than you! So there is a lot of (nearly) instant gratification when getting your hands on Max/MSP.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 pm

I just got it about a month ago and of course I played with the unregistered version about 30 days before that. I've done about 30 Max tutorials and a bunch of random MSP tutorials. I haven't actually made anything usefull yet. But I think it's quite easy and logical. More so than Reaktor for example.

I enjoy just programming - reminds me of doing Basic with my C128 back in the day. :D I got Max/Msp with the academic discount which for me was an acceptable deal - being a hobby musician. Summer's coming - plenty of late nights coding and making music. Spending the days on the beach, my wife reading detective novels, my daughter building sand castles and me sleeping... worn out from spending last night in front of the lappy. :wink:

-M