my 1000 post and im selling ableton.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

my 1000 post and im selling ableton.

Post by john gordon » Thu May 17, 2007 6:14 pm

ive decided to go strictly hardware.300 bucks for the lucky person.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Thu May 17, 2007 6:22 pm

April Fools day was last month... Are you going to use hardware for doing Live Pa's?
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

underhill

Post by underhill » Thu May 17, 2007 7:18 pm

I have seriously been considering the same thing. I only use Live as a looper, the same way I used my DL4. The RC-50 looks like a nice alternative for me. What hardware are going to use? Good luck on the sale.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 pm

cosmosuave wrote: Are you going to use hardware for doing Live Pa's?

I used to do that. What a nightmare. At least a half hour to set up and the same to tear down and boat loads of stuff to carry to a gig. i had an mpc (2000 then 2000xl), a sampler (orig a hilarious akai "remix 16" That thing was soooo funny. but really pretty cool. i moved on to one of those yamaha a-4000 jams eventually), and a handfull of synths (sh-101 w/midi to cv, waldorf pulse, nord micro modular and peavey pc1600 to control it) aaaaaannnnd a litlle mackie mixer and a couple rackmount multi FX.

I can't tell you how happy i am to leave that stuff at home now.
All thanks to live, the first program made that could do what i needed it to do to play orig. material live.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu May 17, 2007 8:00 pm

cosmosuave wrote:April Fools day was last month... Are you going to use hardware for doing Live Pa's?
yes.i yeah.a monomachine,machinedeum and a mv8800 is what im going to start doing all my tracks with.i really dont need anything else.no more gear lust.for now :lol:
i dont want this to turn into a hardware vs.software thread,but my music just seems to sound to thin with ableton.hardware just makes everything sound like its alive.i think what i will miss the most about live is coming here and check out what you guys have posted.

roach808

Post by roach808 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:02 pm

john gordon wrote:
cosmosuave wrote:April Fools day was last month... Are you going to use hardware for doing Live Pa's?
yes.i yeah.a monomachine,machinedeum and a mv8800 is what im going to start doing all my tracks with.i really dont need anything else.no more gear lust.for now :lol:
i dont want this to turn into a hardware vs.software thread,but my music just seems to sound to thin with ableton.hardware just makes everything sound like its alive.i think what i will miss the most about live is coming here and check out what you guys have posted.

use hardware, and just use ableton to run the midi out 2 it, thats what i do.
roach- the other white meat
http://www.themenacetosobriety.com/blog/
MBP, Live Suite, and lots of nice analogue gear.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu May 17, 2007 8:04 pm

just for those who might be interested, you selling live 5 or live 6?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu May 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:just for those who might be interested, you selling live 5 or live 6?
ver1.lol
actually it is ver.6 up for grabs.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu May 17, 2007 8:36 pm

john gordon wrote: yes.i yeah.a monomachine,machinedeum and a mv8800 is what im going to start doing all my tracks with.i really dont need anything else.no more gear lust.for now :lol:
i dont want this to turn into a hardware vs.software thread,but my music just seems to sound to thin with ableton.hardware just makes everything sound like its alive.

I've noticed you go thru a bunch of stuff fairly quickly....

at some point, you will realize that your sound comes from you and your vision, not from what you use.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu May 17, 2007 8:51 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
john gordon wrote: yes.i yeah.a monomachine,machinedeum and a mv8800 is what im going to start doing all my tracks with.i really dont need anything else.no more gear lust.for now :lol:
i dont want this to turn into a hardware vs.software thread,but my music just seems to sound to thin with ableton.hardware just makes everything sound like its alive.

I've noticed you go thru a bunch of stuff fairly quickly....

at some point, you will realize that your sound comes from you and your vision, not from what you use.

.lm.
well. thanks for noticing.i thought i was the only one that noticed.

the ar

Post by the ar » Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: you will realize that your sound comes from you and your vision, not from what you use.
Word.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Thu May 17, 2007 9:07 pm

john gordon wrote:..... sound too thin with ableton - hardware just makes everything sound like its alive.i think what i will miss the most about live is coming here and check out what you guys have posted.
It's not what's responsible for your perceived sonic "thin-ness", I'll bet my life on it.

Live is, most importantly, a very high quality DAW. The warping, session view etc. etc. is an utter delight but can be regarded as just a bonus.

Just use hardware stuff with it, amp up soft synths & use mics, master to 1/4" tape - or cassette - don't rely on Live's instrument presets...I could go on & on...

What I'm saying is that Ableton Live can be whatever you need it to be - and if you've spent a year enjoying it and getting to grips with it, then wouldn't it seem counter-productive to stop now?

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 pm

evernaut wrote:
john gordon wrote:..... sound too thin with ableton - hardware just makes everything sound like its alive.i think what i will miss the most about live is coming here and check out what you guys have posted.
It's not what's responsible for your perceived sonic "thin-ness", I'll bet my life on it.

Live is, most importantly, a very high quality DAW. The warping, session view etc. etc. is an utter delight but can be regarded as just a bonus.

Just use hardware stuff with it, amp up soft synths & use mics, master to 1/4" tape - or cassette - don't rely on Live's instrument presets...I could go on & on...

What I'm saying is that Ableton Live can be whatever you need it to be - and if you've spent a year enjoying it and getting to grips with it, then wouldn't it seem counter-productive to stop now?
i get way more done when im not looking at a computer screen.i started off using hardware and im really feeling it again.i dont know, maybe i will keep live as well.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu May 17, 2007 9:34 pm

the ar wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote: you will realize that your sound comes from you and your vision, not from what you use.
Word.
2nd word

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Thu May 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Mr Man wrote:
the ar wrote:
Word.
2nd word
3rd word. Hey, that rhymes. Seriously, there's no substitution for talent and innovation however it's created. Use what works for you.

D.
I invented coffee