Analog Synth Sampler Instruments Pack

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3rdordertrauma

Analog Synth Sampler Instruments Pack

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Tue May 15, 2007 5:53 am

I am currently constructing Sampler patches using single cycle waveforms sampled from analog synths.

I am looking for people interested in contributing samples from their proud collection of analog gear. If you would like to contribute samples for this project PLEASE DO! It would be very much appreciated! More contributions means more variety to the collection. This pack will be publicly available for free when it is completed. If you are a contributor your name or artist name will be included in the credits, unless you request otherwise.

These are the requirements:
1. Must be an analog synth (please include a text file detailing the synth used)
2. Must be a high quality sample 24bit 96k or higher
3. Best to include each waveform type - including NOISE!
4. One sample for each C note from the lowest audible note to the highest
5. Each sample length no longer than 3 seconds
6. Please do not use any effects, fliters or envelopes, just a clean raw wave
7. Please use .wavs’s when possible, .aif’s are ok but I prefer .wavs’s
8. Naming example: MiniMoog_Saw_C3.wav (something like that is fine)
9. Please zip the samples in a folder labeled with your name
10. Your name and info you would like to be provided in the credits

Please PM me if you are interested in contributing and/or post a link to you files.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!!

I'll try to keep a tally of the synths that have been offered so far. Doesn't mean you can't submit your own samples of the same synth. Just a list of what we have going.

DSI Evolver
Future Retro FR-777
Korg MS20
Siel Opera 6
Last edited by 3rdordertrauma on Fri May 18, 2007 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue May 15, 2007 5:56 am

I'd like to see some from sweetjesus' new voyager!
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue May 15, 2007 6:31 am

single cycle analog?

ha.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Tue May 15, 2007 12:06 pm

bensuthers wrote:single cycle analog?

ha.
I knew I should have included the disclaimer for all the ANALog purists. Which states that in no way shape or form are these Sampler Instruments meant to perfectly model or emulate the dynamic world of analog synthesis. Would be a neat trick if I could magically turn Sampler into a $24000 dollar polyphonic analog modular. But I'm afraid I'd be in for a big chore!

The purpose of this experiment is exactly that... to experiment and have FUN. and out of it hopefully we will all have a pack of nice sounding instruments to use.

This is a team sport... so get yur head in the game Suthers and show some spirit! :wink:

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri May 18, 2007 4:12 am

I'm currently working on the DSI Evolver Instruments, They're simple at this stage (no FX... just raw instruments) but sounding pretty good. IMO

Most the instruments so far have essentially four oscillators (samples) + noise. Sample from "usually" C0-C3. The samples are then looped at one wavecycle (usually in the attack phase of the sample) and layered, some slightly detuned and so on. But I'm considering using more like 4-8 or 16 cycles. Maybe to add a little more depth. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips as far as this is concerned? I'm hoping for this to be a cumulative project for anyone interested in playing with it. If so let me know and I'll upload you what I have so far and compare as we go.

cyphersum

Re: Analog Synth Sampler Instruments Pack

Post by cyphersum » Fri May 18, 2007 5:05 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:Siel Opera 6
This one is DCO.

So can we use DCO/VCF type synths?

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri May 18, 2007 7:35 am

cyphersum wrote:
This one is DCO.

Hmmmm... kinda tuff question... I don't consider a synth with a DCO followed by a VCF to be analog really. I'm not completely clear on the architecture of the Siel. However I'm curious to know. I do know the older versions did have VCO's but I've asked the question to "Poster" who was the generous contributor of this synth along with the MS20 and it is the DCO version.

The DSI Evolver has to digital oscillators as well... however I'm trying not to use them...

I'm not going to be a stickler purist about this... I'd prefer to hear stuff out of "classic" analog synths, big dirty modulars and what not... but in the end of the day a LOT of the original character of those synths will be lost anyway. So if there is a synth in question lets discuss it on the forum and let everyone decide whether it should be used or not.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 18, 2007 11:58 am

the analog character is going to be lost for the most part anyway because 1 cycle waves do not capture the real characteristics of the original instrument..

the 'warmth', the 'organics', the 'movement', how people in general describe analog sound,
comes from instable oscilators and the actual current that is running through the circuits..
so the waveform is constantly changing very subtle..

this 1 cycle sampled wave does not change and move..
so if you want to capture a bit more of the organics maybe you can use different cycles and layer them..

the real purists would say a DCO synth is not a real analog..
who cares.. it's still alot more organic than all digital..
the VCF on my Siel makes it all worthwhile..

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri May 18, 2007 12:55 pm

Hey, it would be cool if Ableton set up a User library like NI for registered users.
Racks, Samples, Impulse kits, Device chains etc

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 18, 2007 1:24 pm

Poster wrote:the analog character is going to be lost for the most part anyway because 1 cycle waves do not capture the real characteristics of the original instrument..

the 'warmth', the 'organics', the 'movement', how people in general describe analog sound,
comes from instable oscilators and the actual current that is running through the circuits..
so the waveform is constantly changing very subtle..
I think the original request is not for single cycles but for 'less than 3 second' samples.

Anyway, the best thing about my analogues isn't particularly the sound of the oscilators, it's actually the 'hands on' tactile approach which makes me make the sounds

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 18, 2007 3:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:I think the original request is not for single cycles but for 'less than 3 second' samples.

Anyway, the best thing about my analogues isn't particularly the sound of the oscilators, it's actually the 'hands on' tactile approach which makes me make the sounds
3rdordertrauma wrote:I am currently constructing Sampler patches using single cycle waveforms sampled from analog synths.
do agree about the hands on thing though..
best thing about them is probably the filters..

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri May 18, 2007 3:47 pm

Yeah I am with you guys on this completely. I guess there is never a replacement for the real thing... sure thats why they are still made and so popular even after all these new advancements. My main idea for doing this was because its not realistic for me to bring my analog gear to a gig... some of its not made anymore or its to expensive for me to risk. I wanted to explore the possibilities of making analogish sounding instruments that get the job done when playing live with out taking up lots of room on the harddrive (hence single cycle), don't rely on CPU hog softsynths, don't cost a lot, have potential for a nice variety of sounds and don't risk the vintage gear at home.

Maybe single cycle is unrealistic... maybe this is the wrong tree to be barking up altogether and I should be looking at the .ams format. But thats a whole new world I know nothing about... at least I've been working with samplers for a long time now.

I appreciate all you guys input! I'm sure something good will come of it.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri May 18, 2007 4:29 pm

3rdordertrauma wrote:
cyphersum wrote:
This one is DCO.

Hmmmm... kinda tuff question... I don't consider a synth with a DCO followed by a VCF to be analog really. I'm not completely clear on the architecture of the Siel. However I'm curious to know. I do know the older versions did have VCO's but I've asked the question to "Poster" who was the generous contributor of this synth along with the MS20 and it is the DCO version.

The DSI Evolver has to digital oscillators as well... however I'm trying not to use them...

I'm not going to be a stickler purist about this... I'd prefer to hear stuff out of "classic" analog synths, big dirty modulars and what not... but in the end of the day a LOT of the original character of those synths will be lost anyway. So if there is a synth in question lets discuss it on the forum and let everyone decide whether it should be used or not.
The evolver's digital oscillators are just single cycles sampled mostly from analog synths... same as what you're trying to do with Simpler no?
And as has been said already - single cycle waveforms will sound digital no matter where they come from anyway.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri May 18, 2007 4:47 pm

elemental wrote:
3rdordertrauma wrote:
cyphersum wrote: This one is DCO.

The evolver's digital oscillators are just single cycles sampled mostly from analog synths... same as what you're trying to do with Simpler no?
And as has been said already - single cycle waveforms will sound digital no matter where they come from anyway.
True true.... but I have had some pretty good results with this so far in Sampler... and as poster said layering different cycles and detuning and so on adds quite a lot of character. Top that off with some pitch, filter and amp modulation and the sound does start to have a random "warm" character. IMO Oh yeah and don't forget a healthy dose of noise!

I've also done a far bit of experimenting with this... lower sample rates (44.1k, 48k) even in a single cycle loop don't capture much nuance of the real analog sound, which is why I've asked for 96k.

Interestingly enough I ran some tests on a few analog purist friends of mine.... I played them some files off Sampler and then the real thing from the analog synth... although the sounds sounded very very different... my friends could not distinguish Sampler from the real thing. These were single cycle loops with a bit of modulation and filtering.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri May 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Hmmm...

Sounds a fun but misguided exercise :)

Multi sampling will help a bit as basic raw wave form can vary quite a bit across the key range - saw and pulse particularly.

But what really makes the sound of an analog synth is its filters - its relatively easy to digitally model an oscilator completely with quirky resonances etc - properly modelling an analog filter is hard - very hard.

And using the filter in live samplers is erm, well, going to sound like Live samplers - not the original synth.