Small workflow improvements.. Post them here..

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
posssu

Post by posssu » Fri May 25, 2007 10:34 am

Resizing track name-field in arrangement view

Please make it possible to drag the track name bigger in arrangement view. Currently it just gets clipped if it's too long.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

posssu

Post by posssu » Fri May 25, 2007 10:36 am

Auto-scroll in midi-editor while selecting

When you select notes in midi editor and you want to select more than is fitting the current screen, please make the view scroll when trying to select outside the view.

Currently it doesn't scroll.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri May 25, 2007 1:51 pm

auto-scroll is something I'd like too. Also when trying to drag a VSTi onto a track that's outside the screen.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 25, 2007 1:53 pm

deactivated clips > show content

If you deactivate a clip, it's content becomes hidden..
So you don't see the MIDI notes and/or audio wave..

Would be useful, for reference purposes, if the content would still be visible..

Maybe in slightly dimmed, light grey..?

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:auto-scroll is something I'd like too. Also when trying to drag a VSTi onto a track that's outside the screen.
you can, but it's very tricky..
you have to hold the vst on the slightly thicker separator line that separates the last track from Send A
Poster wrote:"Drop Files and Devices here"> loaded Session

when Session has reached a amount of tracks, so it shows the scrollbar,
the "Drop Files and Devices here" area has fully disappeared..

When you now want to drag in a new device from the browser to create a new track,
you have to drop it on the 5 pixel width seperator line that seperates the last track from the Send A track..

highly annoying..

so please make it so that the "Drop Files and Devices here" area never disappears..

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 25, 2007 3:33 pm

arrange is still too sluggy

moving clips in Arrange,

in a +50% cpu set,

is not funny..
Last edited by Poster on Fri May 25, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 25, 2007 3:42 pm

highlight tracks in Arrange

when you drag a clip over/on a track I want the background color to be highlighted (light color)
so you know which track you'll drop it on..

this may sound a bit silly but if you want to drop it somewhere on the left of the screen,
your eyes have to follow the horizontal track separator lines all the way to the right to read the track title..

and since all track backgrounds have the same color this is very hard to do so..

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 25, 2007 4:10 pm

'show all parameters / show automated parameters only'

could this menu be at the top of the list instead of at the bottom?

saves loads of scrolling...

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri May 25, 2007 8:22 pm

Zoom Presets

I saw this in another thread. Zoom presets like "fit content to width", "show 1 bar" and similar with assignable key commands would be great imo.

And also a cheesy-melody-device, which would have a database of cheesy chords and progressions. Just for when you're bored or in need for something cheesy :P

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat May 26, 2007 10:14 pm

auto fit loop length to the width of the midi editor

when you select notes in the midi editor and then do the CTRL+L (loop) command,
it would be useful if the width of the loop brace would automatically be scaled to the width of the editor window..

sparrow

Post by sparrow » Sun May 27, 2007 2:47 am

Ok here are some wishes:

1) I would like quantize to work in clip mode, as it is now I have to select the notes manually, it should be enough to just high light the clip, and even if it is still recording. Oh and also, it should be a single key stroke key command to open the quantize window.

2) Id like a track arm key that works globaly, now eventhough its possible to assign all the arm buttons individually it takes up an unecessary amount of keys.
Insted it should be enough to just select track hit the track arm key command,
and the selected track gets armed.

3) I think that some of the simplicity of the earlier live versions start to dissapear, I would like to be able to make an autoload where I can select what functions I would like to use, everything else will be left out when I start from this autoload.

And I also would like to se user definable key comands, as it is now the most vital navigation requires some quiry double comands.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun May 27, 2007 11:35 am

sparrow wrote:Ok here are some wishes:
1) Oh and also, it should be a single key stroke key command to open the quantize window.
COMMAND+U opens the quantize menu.
sparrow wrote:2) Id like a track arm key that works globaly, now eventhough its possible to assign all the arm buttons individually it takes up an unecessary amount of keys.
Insted it should be enough to just select track hit the track arm key command,
and the selected track gets armed.
not sure if I understand but your suggestion takes 2 actions (a mouse click to select a track + the key command to arm it)
whereas the current behaviour only takes 1 action (1 mouse click)
sparrow wrote:3) I think that some of the simplicity of the earlier live versions start to dissapear, I would like to be able to make an autoload where I can select what functions I would like to use, everything else will be left out when I start from this autoload.
could you eleborate a bit on this?

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun May 27, 2007 1:43 pm

selecting tracks in Session

selecting a track can only be done by clicking in the clip area or the title..
this means that if you're editing in the device area you have to first go all the way up to select a track and then go down to the device area again..

you should be able to select tracks by clicking anywhere in a track..
so also in the sends and mixer area which are closer to the device area..

sparrow

Post by sparrow » Sun May 27, 2007 7:33 pm

Poster wrote: COMMAND+U opens the quantize menu.
I know, I said SINGLE key stroke.

Hey this is the small workflow improvement thread :wink:

Poster wrote: not sure if I understand but your suggestion takes 2 actions (a mouse click to select a track + the key command to arm it)
whereas the current behaviour only takes 1 action (1 mouse click)
Do you mean that its possible to select a track and arm it with 1 mouse click?

I dont like to use the mouse, the ideal for me would be to select slot with arrow keys, arm track (with a key), and hit enter to record.
sparrow wrote:3) I think that some of the simplicity of the earlier live versions start to dissapear, I would like to be able to make an autoload where I can select what functions I would like to use, everything else will be left out when I start from this autoload.
Poster wrote: could you eleborate a bit on this?
Sure, a common problem with software IMO is that for every generation the developer normally feel that they have to add more features to make the nevest version attractive. Good, but there is a downside to this thet the simplicity easily gets lost in features that you might or might not use. A simple GUI might after a few generations not be as intuitive and fast to work on anymore, since more buttons, sliders and menus etc. have to share the same screen space. My suggestion was that it would be cool if the user could define what features he would like to use in a template, what I called an autoload here (logic jargon :wink: ). Then when you start the app from this template it opens with only the features you use and need, ok.
Last edited by sparrow on Sun May 27, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparrow

Post by sparrow » Sun May 27, 2007 7:45 pm

One more,

I like to use the arrow keys to navigate in the slot area, but as poster pointed out when you leave that area its not active anymore so the arrow keys now have a new function, annoying. IMO the arrow keys should only be used in the slot area (or atleast not in the mixer and device area).