apple and pcs, music and message boards

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
macdaddy

apple and pcs, music and message boards

Post by macdaddy » Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:20 am

hi:

i was a pc user for 8 years...pc served me well for that time. i managed to create hundreds of neat little audio experiments...
the i switched to an apple ibook osx and live 1.5 and reason 2.0...
at first, shit was all messed up because i was still in "windows" mode...then osx toom over my brain and i am a successful convert. i NEVER had 2ms latency in WINDOWS....i NEVER got to play reason in WINDOWS and have it as responsive as a "real" instrument....i never hooked up my video camera to WINDOWS and had a GREAT expeience....damn, i mean, my MAC is my BEST friend! =)

it's all about QUALITY over QUANTITY...this rings true to ANYTHING!

so, please continue the MAC vs. PC debate ...it is amusing to read!

also, beware of spending too much time on these message boards! ableton has created such an intuitive and inspiring product that we should all spend way more time USING.

now FUCK OFF, go create!!!

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:34 am

Very, very good message, daddy! Drives the point home.

I must say, platform bashing is for idiots but informative comparisons between systems always make for an interesting read as I am very likely to hop on the Mac as well (to use it ALONG with my current PC) as their laptops seem rock-solid :)

anyways, how's the ibook and reason under osx? Just wondering....

have a nice day

ethereon

Post by ethereon » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:37 pm

well.

i'm don't got a lot of money. so i can't exactly run out and satisfy my impulses to buy a mac... but i have used them... and i want one as well...

a friend and i have agreed that it is the age of the dual OS.

if you really wanna be a tough cookie... you should own both.

one is capable of building a PC that would smoke a mac all the way up and down your mom's kitchen floor in a multitude of ways for half of what it costs for you to buy your g4 titanium powerbook.

but really ... i have to say that i would have no qualms about purchasing a macintosh computer. i would love to.

i'd love to have both.

thj

Post by thj » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:27 pm

Is it like having two girls {or two boys} ?

It sounds good! :oops:

Link

Post by Link » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:34 pm

On the other hand... I've been using a PC with 16 I\O with ASIO at 64 samples in W2K (now XP) for the last 2 and a half years solid as a rock using a Mixtreme hooked to a digi-mixer.

There are crap PC setups and ones that work, likewise with Mac or any other OS\computer setup we could care to mention.

:)

macdaddy

osx

Post by macdaddy » Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:52 am

hi:
actually my ibook with reason 2 and live 1.5 is flawless....
the responsiveness and latency is truely amazing..it's like actually tweaking a hardware synth!
also, the build quality and materials used in the ibook is great! my book has been thrown nearly 10feet in front of me and NO damage....clap, clap, clap!
=)
tell compaq to try that one...or friggin gateway....or those nasty dells...

Re: apple and pcs, music and message boards

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:53 am

All I can say: I started using Macs 8 years ago without knowing anything about computers (ok, Logic on Atari, but that´s all) In this time, I never had these problems I know from the windows users. I agree that Macs are a bit overpriced, but - they saved me so much time-. The ibooks kick ass and are not expensive! Maybe if you know enough about computers/parts go for PC, if not, go for Mac: you get what you pay for: quality. Today I also would buy a PC...beside my Macs

John Daminato

Got it all! But...

Post by John Daminato » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:09 am

I started on a p1 compaq 350mgz, then i got a partner that was a die hard mac or nothing type of guy. His mac quardra 950 was almost useless in my opinion, but it was older then dirt so i couldn't use it as a comparison. But i did get about 20 or so tracks recorded useing midi, wavelab,mackie 1604, juno 106, virus a, cubase, acid and a pulsar 1 card.

So got talked into buying a mac G4 867 with 512 ram and a dvd burner. To tell you the truth iam not impressed for the 2,500 price tag that was on the machine with no monitor. But i did notice some kind of elegance that wasn't present with any pc i ever used.

Now i have the mac 867 for just music, the 350mhz pc for internet, and a dell 1.6ghz laptop for final scratch. Now i have so many funkin options i cant get a damn thing done.

I really miss wavelab for the pc, allmost as good as protools.

Jdaminato.com

The moral of this story? Hmmm..."It's not what you have it's what you know" and "less is more". I know guys that are makeing a living using mpc 2000's 8O

ModuLR

Post by ModuLR » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:58 am

Hmmm.. I'm an avid editor. I work on Macs all day long.. but when I go home, I fire up my trustie R505 superslim Vaio with an Echo Indigo and Ableton rewired to Tracktion and I absolutely rock out with low latencies and no problems..

so what's your point?

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:16 am

The point? Do what you gotta do with what you gotta do it with and don't diss those who do a different do with what they gotta use to get their do done!
nik :wink:

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:30 am

muthafunka
whats up with hiphop in tokyo

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:15 pm

ModuLR wrote:Hmmm.. I'm an avid editor. I work on Macs all day long.. but when I go home, I fire up my trustie R505 superslim Vaio with an Echo Indigo and Ableton rewired to Tracktion and I absolutely rock out with low latencies and no problems..

so what's your point?
what latency are you getting with the indigo? how is it overall?

thanks

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:29 pm

ModuLR wrote:Hmmm.. I'm an avid editor. I work on Macs all day long.. but when I go home, I fire up my trustie R505 superslim Vaio with an Echo Indigo and Ableton rewired to Tracktion and I absolutely rock out with low latencies and no problems..

so what's your point?
hey - ihad a look at tracktion - looks pretty good - looks a bit like live - and it runs VSTis !. I tried it with live rewired in - but i really want to run the whole rewire thing the other way round - is this possible somehow?

globalG - globalgoon.com

ModuLR

Post by ModuLR » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:03 pm

I can get the latency down to 4ms on the indigo.. and run it striaght past 90% in load with no hiccups (except for the screen updates start slowing down over 90%). It has very well written Asio drivers, unlike the cpu hungry drivers that came with my emagic 2|6. Since I complete all my projects on my computer, I don't need much more than my indigo (however, it should be noted that the Indigo has no audio input, it just runs a dummy input to keep some program happy). Beyond that, the indigo rocks! It's what help me realize that good drivers are what make a computer happy.

With regards to Tracktion... no it's not a rewire client.. it's only a host. However, you are right in that it is very ableton'ish in many ways. It's highly intuitive and just ROCKS as a VSTi and and Rewire host. If you check out the Tracktion forum on KVR-vst, you can check out the updates (because the author is contuniously updating it.. and is highly receptive to user input). Between version 1 and now 1.2, it's made so many strides it's rediculous.. definately one of the most progressive sequencers on the PC.

Anyway.. enough cheerleading.. all of this was to say that I'm happy. Good programs, Good drivers.. will make ANY computer (PC or Mac) very happy.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:03 am

Anonymous wrote:muthafunka
whats up with hiphop in tokyo
A good question...I believe there is some. Why you be askin'?