triton extreme

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
biroe

triton extreme

Post by biroe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:03 am

so...

I'm thinking of getting a korg triton extreme. from what I've seen of it it looks as if I cant really go wrong (cept for the 1,500 it costs)

I just wanted to ask around and see what you guys think of it.

I would be using it along side Ableton, of course.

any advice/crit?

thanks in advance.

:P

audiomesh

Post by audiomesh » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:37 am

I´m using a x-50 together wit live and i think it works quite well. You can set up a couple of tracks to control the different timbres in multimode and start scetching out ideas without the mouse. Some of the sounds later get replaced by software vsti but personally i really like some of the korg sounds( esp. e-piano and pads).
You have to try it out, but it def. improved my workflow. Another good thing is that even if in a complex project you have to increase buffersettings and get high latencies you can still play other sounds with direct monitoring.
Hope this helps and have a cool sunday

biroe

Post by biroe » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:25 pm

yeah man thanks very much... sounds good.

:)

pabloaugustus

Re: triton extreme

Post by pabloaugustus » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:41 pm

biroe wrote:so...

I'm thinking of getting a korg triton extreme. from what I've seen of it it looks as if I cant really go wrong (cept for the 1,500 it costs)

I just wanted to ask around and see what you guys think of it.

I would be using it along side Ableton, of course.

any advice/crit?

thanks in advance.

:P
I'm using a triton extreme with live, and as audiomesh said, you'll like some of the sounds (synths, strings, keys), but I'm sure you'll find certain sounds are much better owith your software instruments. (guitars for example). But for ease and quickness of creating tracks without latency or waiting for software instruments to load, you can't beat a good piece of gear like a triton.

I would compare sounds to the Yamaha Motif and see what you like best. I prefer the drum sounds on the Motif vs Triton.

I believe Korg has discontinuted the Triton, you may want to wait to see what they introduce next and purchase that, or take advantage of the reduced price that tritons will be selling for eventually.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:34 pm

I've had my EX61 for over a year and a half. I don't use it much with Live since I play in a band and that's my keyboard. I like the sounds on it, sampler built in, most of the Korg EXB modules built into it, etc...pretty solid keyboard and has stood up well to gigging here and there (including flying it to St. Paul in January for Heathen Crusade II festival in a RoadReady hardshell case). A lot of options and should work well within Live as an instrument or keybed for VSTi's (I know I've done that a little in the past but usually have the Roland V-Synth for that at home, triton at practice space). Check on Ebay for sales but it's worth the money to get it new IMHO.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:I've had my EX61 for over a year and a half. I don't use it much with Live since I play in a band and that's my keyboard. I like the sounds on it, sampler built in, most of the Korg EXB modules built into it, etc...pretty solid keyboard and has stood up well to gigging here and there (including flying it to St. Paul in January for Heathen Crusade II festival in a RoadReady hardshell case). A lot of options and should work well within Live as an instrument or keybed for VSTi's (I know I've done that a little in the past but usually have the Roland V-Synth for that at home, triton at practice space). Check on Ebay for sales but it's worth the money to get it new IMHO.

Mike
How ironic that we are talking about this....my extreme 61 just died like today....I think the DSP is hosed....anyway, your advice to buy new is right on, looks like I'll have to do the same. I would replace it with a motif but I just bought this MOSS board and love the sounds it has.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

electropoet

Post by electropoet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:25 am

I use a triton extreme w/ live. Its a pretty nice set-up. I've never been a fan of Live's midi capabilites, so i'll do all my midi sequencing using the triton and sync it to live, and then use live purely as a audio loop recorder. Works like a charm.

A lot of pro's will tell you that the motif sounds better...but the triton touchscreen is awesome. Soundwise, many complain that the triton is a bit dated...but I agree it does have good pads, strings, etc...but it gets killed by the motif for real instruments...so I support the earlier post. My biggest beef is the lack of a computer sequencer editor for the triton...you have to either sequence live or use the event editor...no other way i know of to put sequences into the triton other than import midi sequence's. In any case, if the price is right...you'd dig it. No opinion on the rolands...i still use a jp8000 and a virus for the phat analog stuff...but the triton has not let me down.

Khazul

Re: triton extreme

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:52 am

They have just replaced it with the Korg M3.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstat ... /ws_m3.asp