Logic Pro vs. Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What's better in the production environment?

Live
40%
Logic Pro
11%
Live + Logic
50%

Total votes: 101

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:28 pm

Another consideration is computer power. I've been running a Powerbook G4 for 2 years and Live is my first (and so far ONLY) DAW. I'm getting Logic next, because I cannot run as many tracks and plugins I need to do a professional mix. Perhaps Live plus a blazing computer could do it, but I don't know.
Life is Good

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:00 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 pm

I have no opinion but what does the poll read? I don't want to vote just to see it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 pm

I use live exclusively these days...through all production processes.... I finish everything off with 'wavelab'.... don't see any 'logic ' in changing this configuration... :lol:

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I have no opinion but what does the poll read? I don't want to vote just to see it.
You can click on "view results" to see it without voting. Right now it's 42% 5% 52% (some rounding error there...)

skipkent

Post by skipkent » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Logic is great but very expensive. Tracktion is an option you may want to consider:

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion3/splash.html

It's a mature, fully-featured and cross-platform alternative that is definately worth a look. The latest version can be had for as little as $100. That gives you the full, unfiltered program plus some extras (synths, loops, whatever). The only difference in the higher priced packages is more extras. There is no 'LE' version of Tracktion.

The interface is different from your usual 'mixing console' view, but that should be no problem for a Live user! Very fast and EXTREMELY flexible once you get a feel for it. Tracktion had racks long before Live did (cheers to Live for picking up on a great idea, I'm all for it) and implements them extremely well.

It's a great program, Rewire compatible and all that, and something I hope more Apple users will consider.

Left Eye Dominant

Post by Left Eye Dominant » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:00 pm

You need both Logic and Live IMHO.... completely different paradigms, but it is all horses for courses.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:03 pm

Left Eye Dominant wrote:You need both Logic and Live IMHO.... completely different paradigms.
Could you elaborate? I've been a Live only user since ver. 3 came out, I have no interest in purchasing other DAWs but I'm curious.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Stace

Post by Stace » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:18 pm

Live, Reason and Proteus X work for me, but thats me. (I'm interested in Logic tho, I'd luv to have a crack at it)
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)

thelocalhost

Post by thelocalhost » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Left Eye Dominant wrote:You need both Logic and Live IMHO.... completely different paradigms.
Could you elaborate? I've been a Live only user since ver. 3 came out, I have no interest in purchasing other DAWs but I'm curious.
Check out the logic express demo/trial. It doesn't have a lot of the features of LogicPro, but you'll get the idea/feel of the program.

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/trial/

I don't know why people have this 'there's one DAW to rule them all' approach.

Live is cool, but it has some serious deficiencies.

Different part of the compostion process requires a different tool. I use Live as a sketch pad and to explore different arrangements/parts. It's non-linear approach to composing is absolutely amazing. As soon as the song has it's stucture, I dump it into Logic, maybe rerecord parts, fine tune the arrangments/parts and finally mix it within Logic. I think mixing is Live is clumsy, especially as the track count starts to get large; Live's arrangement/session view just doesn't cut it for mixing.

I think Live + LogicPro, or Cubase, or PT, or DP is an excellent way to go.

I really like Logic because it flexiblity, customization and plugin efficiency. Also, UltraBeat, Sculpture and Space Designer are amazing plugins.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:48 pm

thelocalhost wrote:I don't know why people have this 'there's one DAW to rule them all' approach.
For some of us music is a hobby, Live is a fun toy. I need it to record midi and audio and I like to use Live to FSU. Personally, I'd rather become a black belt at Live than a blue belt at Live, Logic, Reason and Pro Fools. Kind of the same reasons I'm trying to use Live's built in instruments rather than sorting through the dozens of freewares and paid for plug-ins I own.

I totally respect that some people have golden ears and rely on their tools to be sharp to make a living or to practice their truly great production skills. I throw stones at Cubase and other DAWs every chance I get because this is OUR turf ;) but I'd never insist on one DAW to rule them all, use what you like, be nice to others, except Cubase users, they can kiss my hairy orange dot.

(that reads as argumentative, it's not meant to be.)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

radib

Post by radib » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:49 pm

I somehow dislike logic. It´s more complicated, which makes it seem more professional. That´s kinda funny. The reverb may be better than that in live, but it isn´t the best on the whole market. So, I don´t care. Same with compressors. Regarding midi, I don´t use it that much.

Soundwise Logic is louder, and its sound ain´t destroyed by warping/time-stretching. Don´t know what its purpose is, never even use quantization and I don´t think music is about about that kind of total, mechanical correctness. Thats army kiddieshit, every body is an analog thing.
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:55 pm

radib wrote:I somehow dislike logic. It´s more complicated, which makes it seem more professional. That´s kinda funny.
+1
I can get complicated when I need to... :twisted:

Left Eye Dominant

Post by Left Eye Dominant » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:59 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
I am a new user for Logic. Previously I used Nuendo on a PC. I have recently been commisioned to write some soundscapes for a low budget movie.... Live does not have the audio to video capabilities that I am looking for (i.e. the ability to use markers). So I build my ideas in Live and then transfer them to Logic (or Nuendo). That is a very specific example, but I did some live performances last year and I was constantly bouncing tracks bewteen Live and Nuendo. The end result always came from Live but I always felt the need to use Nuendo as a way of controlling and refining ideas. I was brought up on Cubase since the days of the Atari so I guess you could say that I am stuck in one way of working. I would love to use one application only, but at the moment Live falls short in a few areas for me.... specifically midi editing and video. Live is a wonderful app but at the moment I need to use other applications to fill in the gaps.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Live and Logic make an excellent combination. 8)
Dell Vostro 1500 Core 2 duo 3.02Ghz 2GB RAM 150GB 7200rpm HD, on Firewire Audiophile
Apple G5 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, RME Hammerfall 9652