phat kick drums/bass

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:55 am

laird wrote:Also very easy in Live!!

Did you check the WIKI? Three side-chain compression guides, top of the list, with links to side-chainable compressors that work in Live.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27120

This one is the simplest:
http://sonictransfer.com/side-chain-com ... rial.shtml
Good links - ta!

The way I have done it before was using a regular compressor (not a side chain capable one) as follows:

Assume for this, you using a kick to pump a pad.

So you have somewhere the track with the kick on it, call it 'kick', then you havea track with the pad on it - call it 'pump pad'.

Add another audio tracked called 'pump split' with audio in as the original 'kick' track and audio out to the 'pump pad' track. Stick an EQ8 on it set to cut all above say 120Hz - ie just leave the low kick boom there, but none of the snap.

On the 'pump pad' track, stick in a compressor and an EQ8, set the EQ to low cut and cut out below about 160Hz or so - ie to take the kick out complete from the result sound (after the compressor). Now tweak the compressor to get the pumping you want. Go back and tweak the EQs in this and the routing track to keep the pumping, but remove the sound of the kick completely from the 'pump pad' track - this is to avoid plug delay phasing from robbing the original kick of punch in the mix, also low cutting pads is good to cut mud out of your bass.

coldrush

sample magic electro house sample set

Post by coldrush » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:24 pm

give sample magics electro house set a try, i bought it from resonantvibes.com at a very reasonable price, you get loops, single shots, the lot.

They also have a mp3 demo of the set in action, i found the kicks to be very good indeed, work a little eq magic into them and squash 'em thumping man!!

coldrush

a quick tip

Post by coldrush » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:28 pm

1. create an audio track (bus),
2. now send all your drums and percussion and basses to this track via lives routings,
3. now whack the best compressor you have on the bus
4. drop the threshold down a little more than normal
5. quick attack and decay is in order (use your ears)
6. now adjust the makeup gain to taste.
If done right the kick will pump compressor and pump the other parts.

bouncey bouncey!!

coldrush

hey softserv!

Post by coldrush » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:38 pm

One thing i just thought of, when you use Impulse load a kick sample into a slot,
click on the slot to select it,
turn the DECAY knob to 10s (fully clockwise).

Just a thought, as you said you can only get a treble sound (the attack), if you leave the DECAY knob on its preset position you will be cutting of the bass tone.

If you are still struggling, pm me and i'll make you a custom kick,
i'll need to know:
1. bpm of the song,
2. key the song will be in.

Chris.

tablist56

Post by tablist56 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:07 am

ive seen that stylus remix thing...bloody awesome!!!
its sooooo inventive and creative that its almost cheating!!! lol

abletonrob

Post by abletonrob » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:00 pm

IMO the best tool for massive drums (after you find some decent samples) is definitely proper compression and if you can get your hands on it, some analog EQ like on a decent mixing desk. as a *general* rule, around 20-40ms attack, ratio 3-9 and a release and threshold adjusted to your pumping prefs should get things nice and snappy, and a low end boost off a desk should round out that low end. If you are going to be using a heavy sub line, then yeah, a sidechain would be ideal -OR- what a lot of people sometimes do is just high pass your kicks at around 70-90hz so that your sub has room to sit under the kicks. ALso dont forget that abletons compressor II has a built in side chain EQ which is also very useful in your kicks penetrating through that gain reduction. hope it helps

Smashed Hat

Post by Smashed Hat » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:27 am

Khazul wrote:have you come across a side chain capable compressor that works within Live?
Here are links to a free sidechain gate and compressor that I use a lot:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1617.html

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1315.html
Scan 3xs Power DAW, Quad Core 2.66Ghz, 2 meg RAM, 3x500gig 7200rpm HDD's, M Audio FW1814

softserv

Post by softserv » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:33 pm

You all rock, thank you so much! I can't wait to try this schtuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

-softserv

Creator

Post by Creator » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm

The method i use is:-

1. get free drum .wav samples off the net (type 808 wav into google),
i also use 606 and 909's.

2 put 3 different kicks into impulse.

3. i normally start with a 909 standard kick, then put on a 808, then a barely audiable 606.

4. make sure they all land exactly on the beat.

5. 3 kicks playing at the same time.

6. add mild compression.

7. eq it via routing.

8. BANG!
www.myspace.com/creatorpop
enjoy!

Dell inspiron 6400 2.16 ghz,
Firewire 410 soundcard, Uc33e evolution, Oxygen8 keyboard, sony mdr750's, akg condensor mic, ableton live 6, tons of vsts.