Desktops Vs Laptops for Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:20 am

nebulae wrote:
hambone1 wrote: In fact, I challenge a thief to try to pick up my rack-mounted G5/UPS. It's FAR less stealable than a laptop.
I'll take that challenge, mofo. Where are you playing next?
Tomorrow night near London.

I'll split the litigation settlement with you for your hernia and ruptured disc...

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:15 pm

hambone1 wrote:
nebulae wrote:
hambone1 wrote: In fact, I challenge a thief to try to pick up my rack-mounted G5/UPS. It's FAR less stealable than a laptop.
I'll take that challenge, mofo. Where are you playing next?
Tomorrow night near London.

I'll split the litigation settlement with you for your hernia and ruptured disc...
Indeed. My PC's in a 12 space rack with a UPS, a 24 channel line mixer and a Microwave. And, while it's on wheels, you'd have to pick it up to get it in your car/van/what have you. It's too deep to fit into most car trunks and too big to fit through most car doors, and it's heavy.

ew

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:35 pm

that sounds like a bad ass setup... you can make Hot Pockets in the microwave while you play gigs! i'm jealous...

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:28 pm

aburgener wrote:that sounds like a bad ass setup... you can make Hot Pockets in the microwave while you play gigs! i'm jealous...
he he...

Not that kind of Microwave. It's an original Waldorf Microwave from 1990- the one with analog filters.

ew

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:08 am

zappen wrote:
nebulae wrote:I think if you only have 512mb of ram, you should stick with Win98se.
AHHAHAHAH!!!
Windows XP can be installed on surprisingly low system requirements contrary to popular opinion. Unless you are running Windows 2000 and are in a business environment their is no reason you should be running an outdated and unstable OS such as Windows 95, 98 and ME anymore.

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

com'on man! xp sp2 runs even on 64mb..
"Runs" being the keyword, after that can't do anything with it but play with calc, minesweeper and notepad.

xruntime

Post by xruntime » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:04 pm

I agree, stick with the laptop, I've used it on quite bad specs and it works just fine.

Froglicka

Post by Froglicka » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:01 pm

It is a fact that for your money you are going to get higher speed and stability if you buy a PC over a Laptop. I had this arguement with myself several months ago when i was deciding this myself. I ended up deciding to go with Power over portability, havnt looked back since. I get no lag at all in any music producing program.

I will say here that I wouldnt mind a laptop, but no way would I give up the PC... I would advise to hone your software and musical skills until you NEED a laptop for performance/DJ work. - Unless of course you are generally moving homes alot i.e uni student or something.

Peace