"step through" MIDI w/ one key?...anybody??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gort

"step through" MIDI w/ one key?...anybody??

Post by gort » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:16 pm

can Live 4 do this?

Roland's v-drum sound modules have a built-in feature called "TAP" that allows you to assign a single drum pad to "step through" a pattern/sequence. So, for example- configure the "ride cymbal" pad for this "TAP" feature and each time you tap that pad it advances one 1/8th note (you can adjust this) within the current pattern/sequence.

I've been wondering if there's a similar way to do this in Live. such as:

1. set up a single MIDI key (or in my case, a v-drum pad) to step through a MIDI channel cell's MIDI sequence.

-or-

2. step through a MIDI track's cells (1st TAP does one-shot of cell #1, then advances automatically to cell #2, next TAP plays one shot of cell #2, etc, etc, etc... advancing down the MIDI track's cells...

Anybody have any ideas, suggestions? ?? Pluggo? Max? voodoo?

thanks,
gort
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

polemans

Post by polemans » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:58 am

did you ever get anywhere with this? been trying to do this for a year now with no luck....
ableton, computer, old drums, newfangled drums, loadsa bits n bobs. - http://www.myspace.com/polemans

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:46 pm

You should probably get something like Reaktor or Max, maybe Bidule...

I made a patch like this for my Clavia G2 when I had it. Very nice!

-M

gort

Post by gort » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:28 pm

man, that post is 3 years old!

and NOPE, i still havent figured this out. even 2 versions later! the feature is still available in battery (called "round robin" now). but i still badly want to step through a pattern in live. or, step through cells in a midi or audio track in the same "round robin" way...

anyone?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:32 pm

that feature on the V Drums is fun.

what comes to mind is using midi yoke.
assign a midi note to a scene
put that midi note into a clip
send that clip out midi yoke port X
set midi yoke port X IN to REMOTE ON

now when you launch that clip, it sends the note out midi yoke, back in as a remote command and fires off a scene.

play with scenes or clips, whatever works for you
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:52 pm

Here's my first pluggo. In early beta with a few kinks..
Osx version only. Windows build coming up a bit later.

- Click here to download Tap Sequencer Beta 6

I also got a litte video to show it in action and to show you how to set it up

- Click here to watch the video

Known bugs:

If you change a step (note) value while playing a note, you will send loads of note-on messages that will be stuck.
To stop hanging notes, press Live's stop button twice.
Last edited by hoffman2k on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Bump... I edited the above post to release a pluggo, instead of talking about releasing a pluggo ;)

gort

Post by gort » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 pm

sweet.

8O

polemans

Post by polemans » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:12 pm

mr Hoffman, your close to being my spiritual father! this could be the way forward to what i have been looking for!

tried with midi yoke (and control aid) but it gets far to complicated, one instance for a bass drum trigger, another for snare drum trigger.. after there is tom 1... 2... 3... drum pad for melody etc etc etc... i end up with well over 100 scenes just for something really basic (1 song/impro).
using just live 'random' and 'scale' midi fx sending notes to vst'i's, i can create some interesting sets for impro and live drums, but can't create my own melodies and its frustrating.
1st track on myspace demonstrates this:-

www.myspace.com/polemans

the ideal situation would be a midi vst efect for each midi triggered slot, that can have a 'round robin effect' whereby i step through a series of pre-defined notes on each midi note triggered by 1 cc note on a drum hit. drum kat make a pad ( drum kat turbo) that does exactly this but it's real difficult and expensive to get in europe, and i would love to do this just with live.. so mr hoffman... i'm looking forward to testing your plug on next monday morning...
ableton, computer, old drums, newfangled drums, loadsa bits n bobs. - http://www.myspace.com/polemans

polemans

Post by polemans » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 pm

mr hoffman, done some quick tests using my powerbook qwerty keys and its phenomenal... exactly what i've been looking for! can't wait to test it out with my full drums/pad setup... thanks.
any chance of implementing a midi note learn for each sequenced note instance? whereby it would be possible to 'play in a melody' instead of using the mouse to choose each note? would glady pay for developement of this anyone else?
here goes another 5 years...

gort

Post by gort » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:31 am

yeah... this is fun

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 am

polemans wrote:mr hoffman, done some quick tests using my powerbook qwerty keys and its phenomenal... exactly what i've been looking for! can't wait to test it out with my full drums/pad setup... thanks.
any chance of implementing a midi note learn for each sequenced note instance? whereby it would be possible to 'play in a melody' instead of using the mouse to choose each note? would glady pay for developement of this anyone else?
here goes another 5 years...
I'll see what I can do. No promises though. I'm extremely busy with some other Covert Operators projects.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Cheers

- Bjorn

polemans

Post by polemans » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:36 am

cool :D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:58 am

Quick and dirty feature addition:

- Midi learn for steps

- Click here to download Tap Sequencer Beta 6
Last edited by hoffman2k on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polemans

Post by polemans » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:51 am

this could well turn into my number 1 usefull tool. thanks Hoff...