Some advice to you guys

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
popslut

Post by popslut » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:39 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:It wont prevent eqing but it would cut doen on the amount of eqing thats what i am trying to get acoss
And why would you want to do that?

In all the years I've been doing this I've never once felt I was doing too much eq'ing.

i've another piece of advice for you:

Ok here it is, you know how you have to add reverb to drums when you make a track, here is something to prevent you from doing that, Use drum loops that has already had reverb added so you would only have to add reverb to the other sOUNDS in the tune. You get wHAt i am saying?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 pm

You know how you have to take all those loops, put them together with FX and all that? Here's some advice. Make mp3s from obscure Trance CDs, add some EQ and sell them to people as your own.

/just clowning PurpleHaze

FX don't make a mix sound good, good sounding audio sources make things sound good. It's not about EQ, it's not about reverb, it's not about compression. If you're thinking that a sound needs to be EQed when you chose it, it's not a good sample.

It's the cowbell.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

laird

Post by laird » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:48 pm

what if I want to cut down on time spent writing melodies?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:49 pm

laird wrote:what if I want to cut down on time spent writing melodies?
Make trance.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:54 pm

knotkranky wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote:you guys seem not to understand what i am saying. I am saying Choosing drums that fits each othe will prevent you from doing alot of eqing. Do you guys get it now?
If someone posted a kick, snare and hat, could you tell if it has been eq'd or not?

Anyway, If you have a way of knowing the master mix eq settings before composing the drums, i would love to know that one.
i am talking about loops, from places like loopmasters and loops from tracks you may want to sample, i am not talking about individual drums, anytime you get a loop all the sounds in that loop sound good together.

PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:57 pm

OMG, still no one except one person gets what i am saying. And to popslut i am sure there is something as to much eqing, thats when you eqing the shit out of you sounds and they begin to sound thin.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:00 pm

HurplePaze - They get it, stick around a bit, some of these clowns have cut more CDs than the rest of us have listened to.

Props for making an advice thread, beats most of the static around here.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:16 pm

Tone Deft wrote: If you're thinking that a sound needs to be EQed when you chose it, it's not a good sample.
+1

PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:20 pm

the whole thread was about choosing the right sounds

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:25 pm

If it's an advice thread can you tell me why it hurts when I pee?

I guess I could sample it to make it a question about sounds but I can't get a stream going, just squirts and screams.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Pantytec

Post by Pantytec » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:28 pm

dude do you understand what people are you trying to tell you or you just running rampid with your original post to be stubborn? they're saying, big whoop if it's EQ'd already. Your whole mix is ultimately going to change anyways once you start adding other parts and voices. So what if it's pre-EQ'd.... EQ'd in comparison to what? ok, you win, it's "pre-EQ'd". Now it sounds like ass when I add my bassline, some stabs, a vocal or two, pads, efx, etc, etc. So your tip doesn't really hold any water. Once you add different elements to the track, the sound of the loop you're talking about could possibly be lost in the mix or be just too much in the rest of the track.

Which reminds me, i've really really been pulling back on my drum sounds. I've noticed some of the most respected artists atleast that i'm into are eq'ing their drums to be waaay back in the mix. Very subtle, but you always know it's there. Which is something I respect. Unlike these other ass clowns, "hey look at me, it's a SNARE!! hey, check it out, it's a KIIICK!". Fuck that. Just keep it smooth and light. Which, ultimately puts more holes in this original thread. Each mix and part is different and should be EQ'd accordingly with relationship to each other. And ultimately, it will change again depending on the recording format. Vinyl is eq'd differently from CD's, etc.

If this post was written by EvilEvilEvil, I could understand, but it wasn't so......
Sony VAIO 1.6 duo, padKontrol, MOTU Ultralite, M-Audio BX5's, HHB BurnIT, A&H Xone 92, Live 6, Doepfer Sequencers.

Pantytec

Post by Pantytec » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:38 pm

my dream EQ:

http://www.mercenary.com/splpqpamaeq.html

one can dream..
Sony VAIO 1.6 duo, padKontrol, MOTU Ultralite, M-Audio BX5's, HHB BurnIT, A&H Xone 92, Live 6, Doepfer Sequencers.

yourmom

Post by yourmom » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote: FX don't make a mix sound good, good sounding audio sources make things sound good. It's not about EQ, it's not about reverb, it's not about compression. If you're thinking that a sound needs to be EQed when you chose it, it's not a good sample.
sorry. thats a bit like saying if you have to put a filter on an oscillator then it isnt a good oscillator. people put filters on oscillators everyday to get the sounds they need. but that doesn't mean that those oscillators aren't useful.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:28 pm

yourmom wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: FX don't make a mix sound good, good sounding audio sources make things sound good. It's not about EQ, it's not about reverb, it's not about compression. If you're thinking that a sound needs to be EQed when you chose it, it's not a good sample.
sorry. thats a bit like saying if you have to put a filter on it then it isnt a good oscillator. people put filters on oscillators everyday to get the sounds they need. but that doesn't mean that those oscillators aren't useful.
That's making your own sounds, of course you'll add LFOs, envelopes, ring modulators to oscillators, that would be me implying that only pure square, sine, noise and triangle waves are the only ones worth using (sounds like an EVILEVILEVIL post.)

My point is that FX don't make a mix sound good, good source material makes a mix sound good. Production isn't only what FX you apply, it's what FX you don't apply.

If you're digging for sounds and they only sound good when you apply FX then they're not good to begin with. I'm talking sound quality FX, not morphing FX like delays and such.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Hey this thread inspired me to cut up some drums and make a quick little 2 minute cut up

I didnt use real speakers I used the speaker out of my laptop so it might sound funny but it's the power of recycle

no edits or eq but if you get stuff already eq'd it'll sound good - that's what I thought you meant

but you're talking about using straight loops - I don't know

http://virb.com/djadonis206

the only song in the player player

cut up loops and synths all replaced in a dr rex player ;) thru my laptop mini speaker - why? because I'm watching rap videos and didn't have time or desire to go to the studio room and plug up my usb cable ;)
Last edited by djadonis206 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music