Sampler LFO Lock?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mrboni

Sampler LFO Lock?

Post by mrboni » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:11 pm

Is there any way to lock Samper's LFO's position to the tempo? In the same way that Autopan does. It's impossible to replicate ryhthmic modulations if the LFO wave is at a different point every time you stop/start live.

Thanks

Will

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 pm

you see where it says 'rate' and underneath theres a button illuminated with 'hz' in , next to that button there's on with a note icon.
press that.
now choose your note timings

mrboni

Post by mrboni » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:23 pm

Sorry maybe I wasn't that clear.

Once you have chosen tempo-sync as you say, if retrigger is switched off, the position of the LFO wave will be different every time you stop/start Live.

What I mean is the LFOs don't seem to restart every time you hit play.

Will

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:28 pm

mrboni wrote:Sorry maybe I wasn't that clear.
Once you have chosen tempo-sync as you say, if retrigger is switched off, the position of the LFO wave will be different every time you stop/start Live.
What I mean is the LFOs don't seem to restart every time you hit play.
Will
'retrig' works on every new MIDI note trigger..

mrboni

Post by mrboni » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Yes but you (I) often want it just locked to host tempo, and reproducible. You get me?

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:32 pm

I'm not sure what you mean..

do you mean you want the LFO's to start at the exact same cycle start,
every time you press play?

This is expected behaviour,
but I never checked this t.b.h.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:51 pm

he doesn't mean tempo, he means he wants it locked to the timeline.

He wants it so the LFO doesn't start on every note but does restart at the same value on song start. This is most likely because he would like the same result each time.
So that when rendering a song he can be sure that an LFO peak will fall in the same place he expects it to. Did that make sense?

mrboni

Post by mrboni » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:13 pm

Yup, exactly that. I like using the LFO's to create rhythmic modulations but the point is somewhat limited if it is not repeatable.

So, is it possible, hmm?

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:41 pm

Angstrom wrote:he doesn't mean tempo, he means he wants it locked to the timeline.

He wants it so the LFO doesn't start on every note but does restart at the same value on song start.
I believe that's what I said..

@mrboni
I couldn'y say for sure..
I expect it to behave like that though..

you can always ask support..
they'll know for sure..

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:04 pm

Bounce it down to audio?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Dummy clip rather than LFO if you want it synced to song position.

-M

LithiuMind

Re: Sampler LFO Lock?

Post by LithiuMind » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Sorry to pull this one out of the archives... but hey what the heck? I always thought Sampler's LFO synced to the grid when it was set to beat divisions. ie. every time you press play from 0:00:00 the LFO will retrigger, staying in sync with the timeline.

But this is not the case it seems! The LFO runs independent of the transport controls whether it is in Beat Division or Hz setting.

Is there a way to fix this? I've been freezing and unfreezing the track for 10 minutes trying to catch the LFO down sweep in sync with the arrangement, driving me batty.

essegibi

Post by essegibi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi, I know this is old, but I'm dealing with this problem as well. The other way around though. I need the hz setting to lock to the arrangement's timeline.

So far I've found a workaround. Automate a switch between hz and sync at a given place, I suggest the beginning of the track and the lfo will start from "scratch".

This works fine for the first 30s of the track, but as soon as I am working further along the timeline the problem arises again. The lfo is giving different results than if the track is playing from the beginning.
Another workaround could be to edit very small automation points switching it on and off again, but this in turn results in a retrig of the lfo, which does not work for freestanding time (hz).

The latter method will however in theory work for the above problem with regards to synced lfo's, just calculate your cycles accordingly.

The above problem applies for all lfo'able devices.

Could there be a way to sort this with a m4l device?

bvfie

Post by bvfie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:29 pm

once again bring this thread out of the archive, why is this a problem, this sucks.

oEN1

Post by oEN1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 pm

I need a answer too! Going to audio work once you got your rythm but if I want to change the sound of the instrument then I have to re record the new sound... But I think it's the only way.