kanye west rapes daft punk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:36 am

DP is credited in the videos I've seen. Should be "Daft Punk sells out", but their music makes sense for some of the rap coming out.

"you can be my black Kate Moss tonight"
wtf is up with that lyric? who'd be the white Kanye? Robbie Williams? Kanye is damn talented, too bad none if it translates to his music.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 am

sorry i meant raped the soul of the music.

thats just a horrible track with horrible rapping n lyrics over a cool sample.

gimme q tip anyday biaaatch

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 am

yeah, I hear you on that one. I realized the other day that being 34 I'm one of the 'old farts' now. When I was a kid the old farts would complain that the rock music we listened to SUCKS and nothing like the 60s-70 when rock was good. Nowadays as an old fart I piss and moan that today's rap music SUCKS and is nothing like the REAL shit from the late 80s to mid 90s.

"Back in the days when I was a teenager
Before I had status and before I had a pager
You could find the abstract listening to hip hop
My pops used to say, it reminded him of be-bop
I said, well daddy dont you know that things go in cycles
The way that bobby brown is just ampin like michael
Its all expected, things are for the lookin
If you got the money, quest is for the bookin"
Qtip
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:53 am

thing is there is some kickass rap out there

and u know what id take eminem over that stuff anyday too

jamester

Post by jamester » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:30 am

sweetjesus wrote:thing is there is some kickass rap out there

Eminem in his prime was a creative force to be reckoned with!

His first album is a hip-hop classic, brilliantly cartoonish and disturbing at the same time.

Check out this "freestyle":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0SKqcs0 ... ed&search=
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:08 am

Now if it only didn't suck...
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:09 am

I'm a 34-year-old "old fart" like Tone Deft and I think this shows that I am getting old because it doesn't matter if the rapper has talent or the song is good. It just makes me mad and makes me think anybody who likes it now is an a-hole for not liking or never have hearing the original. Man, I used to love when rap would sample or loop other songs. But that was when they were doing it from somebody else's generation.

I guess it depends on the intentions of the rapper. Are they using it to expose great music by other artists to a different crowd or are they just being lazy with writing music. I'm not saying there isn't talented rappers but I just think it reflects poorly when they just rap over an entire song by another artist.

Shit, he probably came up with it screwing around on Ableton while kicking it with Blake from American Idol.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:09 am

totaly ruined the song!

jamester

Post by jamester » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 am

Kanye just fuckin' sucks, period. I'm an "old fart" too, and to me he is just another example of the new school of crappy, artless modern hip-hop which has taken over the mainstream.

I couldn't even make it halfway through that dreck.

Thank god for Aesop, Def Jux, Ghostface, The Roots...and myself for that matter, for making poetic and artistic shit that keeps me excited and hopeful for hip-hop.

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:01 am

Normally I can't stand Kanye. Well, I still can't, really, but this seems more like a collabo than him sampling them.

Daft Punk is in the video! And they got songwriting credit.

Bit different, in that sense, from what Puff used to do with the Police, etc.

Anyways, Kanye needs to stick to producing and quit rapping. I can still definitely get down with "Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)".
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:23 am

jamester wrote:

His first album is a hip-hop classic, brilliantly cartoonish and disturbing at the same time.

Despite the fact that I find him completely irritating, I have to admit that if he was ACTUALLY freestyling and not reciting memorized lines, that was f*cking amazing.

I've only ever heard one freestyler better than that. A guy named Dave, who got into hip-hop from the slam poetry crowd. He had a few names, including MC Asher (I can't remember the others). Last I heard of him, he was homeless in San Francisco, and he's probably using a new name these days.

Anyways, why was Dave so fucking fantastic at freestyling?

Well, I walked into his room once (before he became transient), and he had about twenty packs of post-it notes on his walls. He had taken the four walls of his room and divided them into 2x two syllable, three syllable and four+ syllable words. Each tiny little post-it had a single word on it, which were colour coded into nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, etc. He arranged them into columns and rows, with suffixes of all words on the same horizontal row all rhyming with each other, and the PREFIXES of all words pre-rhyming on the vertical columns.

[edit: It might have been the other way around, I'm going on memory here.]

So, Dave spent about 4 months reading the dictionary for hours every day, making his walls... Then he set about memorizing the words, as well as their spatial relation to one another. That took about another 6 months, but he would occasionally add new words. When I last met Dave, he could freestyle, rhyming not only the ends of words, but also the beginnings... Some guys recorded him once rhyming in 4/4 time and occasionally breaking into quintets, and he freestyled straight for six hours, pausing only to sip water. The point is, he NEVER ran out of rhymes, his power to manipulate language was so thorough.

Fucking amazing. The best I've ever witnessed. For any of you guys in San Francisco, if you ever run into a blond dude (about 25 years old by now) from Upstate New York busting out amazing freestyle rhymes for change on the street, ask him if his name's David, or if he ever lived in Montreal.

Anyways, my point of all this?

He kicks Kayne West's ass. In fact, Kayne West is a fucking amoeba compared to him. It goes to show that talent has nothing to do with fame.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:32 am

beats me wrote:I'm a 34-year-old "old fart"
Tone Deft wrote:I realized the other day that being 34 I'm one of the 'old farts' now.
Wow, I'm 34 too. Old Fart posse in full effect. Nice quote from Q-tip by the way TD.

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:52 am

M. Bréqs wrote:
jamester wrote:

Despite the fact that I find him completely irritating, I have to admit that if he was ACTUALLY freestyling and not reciting memorized lines, that was f*cking amazing.

I've only ever heard one freestyler better than that. A guy named Dave, who got into hip-hop from the slam poetry crowd. He had a few names, including MC Asher (I can't remember the others). Last I heard of him, he was homeless in San Francisco, and he's probably using a new name these days.

Anyways, why was Dave so fucking fantastic at freestyling?

Well, I walked into his room once (before he became transient), and he had about twenty packs of post-it notes on his walls. He had taken the four walls of his room and divided them into 2x two syllable, three syllable and four+ syllable words. Each tiny little post-it had a single word on it, which were colour coded into nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, etc. He arranged them into columns and rows, with suffixes of all words on the same horizontal row all rhyming with each other, and the PREFIXES of all words pre-rhyming on the vertical columns.

[edit: It might have been the other way around, I'm going on memory here.]

So, Dave spent about 4 months reading the dictionary for hours every day, making his walls... Then he set about memorizing the words, as well as their spatial relation to one another. That took about another 6 months, but he would occasionally add new words. When I last met Dave, he could freestyle, rhyming not only the ends of words, but also the beginnings... Some guys recorded him once rhyming in 4/4 time and occasionally breaking into quintets, and he freestyled straight for six hours, pausing only to sip water. The point is, he NEVER ran out of rhymes, his power to manipulate language was so thorough.

Fucking amazing. The best I've ever witnessed. For any of you guys in San Francisco, if you ever run into a blond dude (about 25 years old by now) from Upstate New York busting out amazing freestyle rhymes for change on the street, ask him if his name's David, or if he ever lived in Montreal.

Anyways, my point of all this?

He kicks Kayne West's ass. In fact, Kayne West is a fucking amoeba compared to him. It goes to show that talent has nothing to do with fame.
Not sure if these really are freestyles or not in this video. However, I do know that at Scribble Jam '97 he was busting lyrics from his album. And I still thought Dose One and Juice killed him.
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

jamester

Post by jamester » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:56 am

For the Eminem clip, that's why I put the word "freestyle" in quotes; it's second-hand freestyling...there still an art to being able to rock any number of one-liners in your head at any given time, over any given beat. Much like a jazz player is still playing lots of licks in an improvisation, yet it's still off-the-cuff as far as what they're playing when, and how they're making it fit into the situation at hand.

But I'll still give higher props to those that can truly rhyme coherently on the spot, in full context of the situation. Even still, it's too much to expect completly original spontenaity...I'd probably argue that's not even supposed to be the ultimate goal. Style by definition is based on repetition.

Oh, and I'm a 34yo fart as well. ;-)