Soul 2 Soul beat: Worse than the Amen Break?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Soul 2 Soul beat: Worse than the Amen Break?

Post by beats me » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:26 pm

I don't really know if this is the song where the beat originated from, but a friend asked me to drop this drum loop in one of my songs from a Soul 2 Soul song to make it easier for him to use in a DJ set. While the loop worked well in the song, it is the exact drum loop Enigma used for pretty much their entire first album.

I haven't heard that loop used in a long time and I don't think it ever got used or sliced and diced as much as the Amen Break, but it's one of those sounds that will make anybody instantly go "Hey, Enigma." Is that a bad thing? Is it time to blow the dust off this loop yet? How about that drum loop Milli Vanilli used all over their first release. Can I start tossing it in the mix too?

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:35 pm

Yes,do it.
Milli Vanilli drum loop is it the same loop that Eric B and Rakim used on Paid in full?
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:45 pm

DJ VAKIS wrote:Yes,do it.
Milli Vanilli drum loop is it the same loop that Eric B and Rakim used on Paid in full?
Yeah, that is the same beat but Milli Vanilli made it main stream. Then Duran Duran made a final push with it on Come Undone.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:53 pm

sound example?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:sound example?
um, the Enigma beat? the Milli Vanilli beat? or my song?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:09 pm

of the beat, I've probably heard it before but I don't recall it. maybe someone who isn't super familiar with it could listen to it with fresh ears and say whether it's useable or not...
just a thought.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:16 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:of the beat, I've probably heard it before but I don't recall it. maybe someone who isn't super familiar with it could listen to it with fresh ears and say whether it's useable or not...
just a thought.
Here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqNZ5Y5BgdA

I'm sure you've heard it.

scientist

Post by scientist » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:24 pm

ashley's roachclip by the soul searchers. definitely used by milli vanilli and erik b. the enigma thing is different i think.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:28 pm

beats me wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:of the beat, I've probably heard it before but I don't recall it. maybe someone who isn't super familiar with it could listen to it with fresh ears and say whether it's useable or not...
just a thought.
Here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqNZ5Y5BgdA

I'm sure you've heard it.
ohhhhh yeah, now I remember. actually I'm thinking if you just cut up the sounds of the beat and change the pattern slightly (very slightly) it'll be ok

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:09 am

I will probably add it to the song for a version for my friend but I have some issues with using a loop that is so blatantly obvious, sliced up or otherwise. Mostly I wanted to put it out there to you people to see if it's cool to use now, like it's Retro Ambient or some shit. When I was a kid there was no World music. You had your New Age and your Ambient and you got along just fine.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:16 am

I don't think it would be blatantly obvious if you changed the pattern of the kick and snare slightly and put it behind your own music I don't think most people would even care.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:25 am

I cant even imagin anyone feeling the need to nick a loop for that - its so simple to re-create and easy to play on an electronic drum kit (shaker instead of HH).
Nothing to see here - move along!

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:45 am

Hey yeah I just heard back from the cool police and they said using any loops used by Enigma would damn you to the same hell they sent Lawrence Welk and Deep Forest.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:59 am

pulsoc wrote:Hey yeah I just heard back from the cool police and they said using any loops used by Enigma would damn you to the same hell they sent Lawrence Welk and Deep Forest.
:lol:

hmmm yes I'm a bit of a believer in not using the same old tired loops of yesteryear

generally anything calling itself 'new' with the amen break in it in 2007 makes me press fast forward

tekkers

Post by tekkers » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:03 am

i just dont think the beat lends itsself to chopping up in the way the amen break does.. i've heard this beat at a few different pitches and slightly different bpms but its in its nature to be loopy i think.. cant imagine anyone goin all junglist massive with it..

tho i'd be interested to hear someone try!