BT's an arse

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:23 pm

bt just sucks dick is all. real waker for sure.he should stop making music cause it is awful.

sweetjesus

Re: BT's an arse

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:26 pm

pabloaugustus wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:The evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxLbKYCL2aM

Ruining a perfectly good Roots performance, sheesh. What's with that keyboard stand?
damn, I guess homeboy never learned to play well with others....

reminds me of another failed concept I saw live recently..Erykah Badu on tour. She always performs with the best R&B musicians around so I was really excited to see her at such a small venue as the the fillmore in SF. Well, she had the crack band as usual, with an incredible drummer just kicking ass, playing the arrangements perfect, leading the band into every change....and you could barely, I mean barely hear him. I only heard at all because I was close enough to hear his rim shots acoustically. They had this MPC turned way up and this guy was kicking out some cool beats, but the sound was dominating and you couldn't even heard the drummer. They also started some songs to a prerecorded beat....interesting concepts, horrible execution.

Not to mention the little midi drum pads hooked up to an imac right next to erykah that she jammed on....

She acknowledged her band once during the whole show, and it was to ASK THE AUDIENCE TO BOO THEM!!!! She was singing these solo riffs and she yelled at the keyboard player for not picking up some line she sang....she was like 'that was from nas the ilmatic.......people, can you boo my band for me'.

She did go through a medly of old school rap which was dope, but thats one diva i'll never see again.
never diss ur band on-stage.

!!

james brown (rip) apparantly used to dock $1 of pay from every mistake a member of the band made, that's why his band wasnt just made of shiznit people but it WAS the shiznit :P

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:06 pm

Song was alright, mix was awful. Could have been a trained chimp on stage hammering on a synth, as long as ?uestlove's on drums you KNOW the track's built on solid ground!
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

rikhyray

Re: BT's an arse

Post by rikhyray » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:01 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
pabloaugustus wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:The evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxLbKYCL2aM

Ruining a perfectly good Roots performance, sheesh. What's with that keyboard stand?
damn, I guess homeboy never learned to play well with others....

reminds me of another failed concept I saw live recently..Erykah Badu on tour. She always performs with the best R&B musicians around so I was really excited to see her at such a small venue as the the fillmore in SF. Well, she had the crack band as usual, with an incredible drummer just kicking ass, playing the arrangements perfect, leading the band into every change....and you could barely, I mean barely hear him. I only heard at all because I was close enough to hear his rim shots acoustically. They had this MPC turned way up and this guy was kicking out some cool beats, but the sound was dominating and you couldn't even heard the drummer. They also started some songs to a prerecorded beat....interesting concepts, horrible execution.

Not to mention the little midi drum pads hooked up to an imac right next to erykah that she jammed on....

She acknowledged her band once during the whole show, and it was to ASK THE AUDIENCE TO BOO THEM!!!! She was singing these solo riffs and she yelled at the keyboard player for not picking up some line she sang....she was like 'that was from nas the ilmatic.......people, can you boo my band for me'.

She did go through a medly of old school rap which was dope, but thats one diva i'll never see again.
never diss ur band on-stage.

!!

james brown (rip) apparantly used to dock $1 of pay from every mistake a member of the band made, that's why his band wasnt just made of shiznit people but it WAS the shiznit :P
I think it was 100 or 50$, not only mistake but also for not looking at the band leader. I had the luck of seeing the results, one of the tightest shows ever.

stallos

Post by stallos » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:31 pm

anyone got one of those mental keyboard stands?

could see me whacking myself in the balls with one of those on stage doing some full body filter sweeps :D

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:35 pm

stallos wrote:anyone got one of those mental keyboard stands?

could see me whacking myself in the balls with one of those on stage doing some full body filter sweeps :D
hahahahahaha!!

nice :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:16 pm

I really don't get all the BT bashing. You don't have to like his music but that doesn't mean he sucks. Let's put up one of your tracks against his and see where the production level is at. It's probably just another case of people not liking an artist when they have a large mainstream fan base and I think anybody that thinks he is pretentious is being pretentious themselves. I'm not an authority on everything he has ever done or said but I have never seen or read anything where he says "I am God and everybody else is below me." Are you possibly confusing his fanatical fans with his own opinions of himself? How many artists have you ended up hating because you in fact hate their fans? Can't somebody have pride in their work and a level of success without there being haters?

Brainstormer

Post by Brainstormer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:51 pm

beats me wrote:I really don't get all the BT bashing. You don't have to like his music but that doesn't mean he sucks. Let's put up one of your tracks against his and see where the production level is at. It's probably just another case of people not liking an artist when they have a large mainstream fan base and I think anybody that thinks he is pretentious is being pretentious themselves. I'm not an authority on everything he has ever done or said but I have never seen or read anything where he says "I am God and everybody else is below me." Are you possibly confusing his fanatical fans with his own opinions of himself? How many artists have you ended up hating because you in fact hate their fans? Can't somebody have pride in their work and a level of success without there being haters?
Exactly, if BT was a nobody, then you'd all be raving about him, seems people hate anyone doing well for themselves, not just on this forum either, I've seen these sorts of posts on several production forums. I couldn't find too much fault with his performance personally. Especially since 'he' was the one that chose to bring the other band with him! The wobbly keyboard was a bit odd, but something I'd not seen on stage before.

Just to add, live music never sounds as good recorded as when you are there. I bet anyone who was there would have probably told you it was pretty spectacular, as well as sounding great. What makes it even better is the fact that he played live, not 'ableton' live, but 'real' live. More than I can say for a lot of electronic musicians these days!

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 pm

Let's face it, 99% of all keyboarders look like they're falling asleep on stage, and up until that keyboard stand (which I kinda want for myself, BTW) all they had was the dreaded keytar or Rick Wakeman's golden cape. And capes are just wrong. Plain wrong.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:20 pm

It occurred to me that the mix may have been fuct because they monitored for the room, not TV, they wanted that bass to shake the room but in bandlimited TV land it just sounds like shit.

It's probably safe to say that BT is a better piano/keys player than 99% of the people who will ever read this.

How about some GOOD Roots?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8l31heyYxQ <-- what they do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97EwCF-Y14 <-- distortion to static
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
It's probably safe to say that BT is a better piano/keys player than 99% of the people who will ever read this.

not based on THAT performance!

i'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that was a good performance on his part must be retarded. His records aren't objectively bad, they just aren't for me. That performance was fucking objectively bad. No musician in the world is going to say otherwise.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:37 pm

'BT' (what a SHIT name) looks like a poppers-addled boyband reject who was put on that stage as part of an elaborate joke between russell simmons and elton john

the roots must have been paid BIG to put up with that ridiculous tweaker ruining their carefully constructed reputation

pieter

Post by pieter » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:59 pm

i never heard of BT.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:23 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

not based on THAT performance!

i'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that was a good performance on his part must be retarded. His records aren't objectively bad, they just aren't for me. That performance was fucking objectively bad. No musician in the world is going to say otherwise.

.lm.
that wasn't impressive keyboard playing, I'm referring to the fact that he's a classically trained pianist, not to mention the rest of his resume. I am not starting a BT fanboy/flame war contest, I'm just saying he knows how to play keys.

I'm out of this thread, the trolls have arrived.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Hate BT now, love him 10 years ago