Are PC ableton files compatible on a MAC ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sébastien Léger

Are PC ableton files compatible on a MAC ?

Post by Sébastien Léger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:01 pm

All in the question, if a project has been done on a PC, is it possible to run and still continue to work on that project but on another machine : a MAC (macbook pro)

Thanx for your FAST answers :lol:

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:06 pm

In a nutshell: yes, as long as your project does not use 3rd party windows plugins, everything should work just fine. If you use a plugin that your Mac does not have, bounce that track down to audio before sending the project over to your Macbook Pro.

btw, if this is indeed the real Sébastien Léger, let me just say that I have been buying your tunes for years now, and I've enjoyed just about all of them. Thanks for the great summer soundtrack contributions.
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

nagal

Post by nagal » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:08 pm

If there is no firm answer of this, I will be more than willing to try the files on my computer. Running 6.0.7 with Operator.

Sébastien Léger

Post by Sébastien Léger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:19 pm

iamnotcool wrote:In a nutshell: yes, as long as your project does not use 3rd party windows plugins, everything should work just fine. If you use a plugin that your Mac does not have, bounce that track down to audio before sending the project over to your Macbook Pro.

btw, if this is indeed the real Sébastien Léger, let me just say that I have been buying your tunes for years now, and I've enjoyed just about all of them. Thanks for the great summer soundtrack contributions.
Hello imnotcool, you cool just by answering ;) yes im Sébastien Léger :roll:

Actually i would like to run live on a macbook pro mainly for live performance, so no real plug in inside, and i use very little plug in on my home studio computer (PC), i prefer working with real hardware still, ableton is just an (amazing) sequencer et mixer.

How can i know the few plug in use are PC &/or MAC ?

Cheers

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:43 pm

Sébastien Léger wrote:
iamnotcool wrote:In a nutshell: yes, as long as your project does not use 3rd party windows plugins, everything should work just fine. If you use a plugin that your Mac does not have, bounce that track down to audio before sending the project over to your Macbook Pro.

Hello imnotcool, you cool just by answering ;) yes im Sébastien Léger :roll:

Actually i would like to run live on a macbook pro mainly for live performance, so no real plug in inside, and i use very little plug in on my home studio computer (PC), i prefer working with real hardware still, ableton is just an (amazing) sequencer et mixer.

How can i know the few plug in use are PC &/or MAC ?

Cheers
I wish I could answer that from my own experiences, however the best way to find out is to create a test project on your PC that utilizes your plugins, and then transfer it over to your Mac to see if it works or not. If you use a particular VST plugin on your PC, you must have the exact same VST plugin on your Mac. I hope this info is helpful to you.
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

Sébastien Léger

Post by Sébastien Léger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:47 pm

thats a perfect answer, thank you ;)

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:29 pm

Cool music you get there, Léger :)

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:56 am

not sure how it'll work on a Media Access Control.. that is what MAC is right? but yeah should work fine on Macs as the file structure is the same. I do it a fair bit with other artists that use pc's.
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:24 am

Personally, I would bounce every track which uses a 3rd party VST first, and save the collected project, just in case!

PS -Sebastien maybe you would like www.abletonlivedj.com, a site with lots of information about DJ'ing and performance with Ableton Live.

Good luck.