Is this possible in live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
whiterabbit

Is this possible in live?

Post by whiterabbit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm having trouble doing a very basic thing in Live. (Yes I read the manual first, but maybe I should read it again..)

Say I record a 1 bar midi loop for a soft synth. When I play this back, I want to tweak some paramters, let's just say cutoff and res, but I don't want to RECORD my tweaking. I'm just experimenting with ideas, so I want to just loop the midi, tweak some knobs and listen to the effects in realtime. But in order to control the softsynth from my controller, I MUST record enable the track in Live. this means as I tweak the parameters, Live is recording clip envelops, which I have to keep deleting because when the clip loops the clip envelopes kick in and compete with my live tweaking. it's extremely annoying. In Sonar I can tweak knobs without recording them. Is this possible to do in Live?

Thanks!
max

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:10 pm

You need to go into preferences and make sure remote control is enabled for your controller. Then simply assign knobs and faders to your synth params using MIDI map mode.

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:03 am

the_planet wrote:You need to go into preferences and make sure remote control is enabled for your controller. Then simply assign knobs and faders to your synth params using MIDI map mode.
I figured out how to do automation, but my specific questions is: if I have a midi loop running, and I tweak synth params WITHOUT recording clip envelopes? I don't want to record my actions, but seems that track record must be enabled in order to use automation.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:43 am

try turning off the master record button up near the transport controls.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

dango

Post by dango » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:39 am

Clearscreen wrote:try turning off the master record button up near the transport controls.
either that or turn the "overdub" button off. it is at the top of your screen titled "ovr"

then you can play around. i assign one of my midi contoller buttons to overdub so i can switch it on and off as i play around, once you get something you like just click it on and record it.

Pantytec

Post by Pantytec » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:41 am

use a hardware synth. i'm sooooooo done with bullshit like this.

there's your solution.
Sony VAIO 1.6 duo, padKontrol, MOTU Ultralite, M-Audio BX5's, HHB BurnIT, A&H Xone 92, Live 6, Doepfer Sequencers.

dango

Post by dango » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:49 am

Pantytec wrote:use a hardware synth. i'm sooooooo done with bullshit like this.

there's your solution.
what bullshit?

you did not even answer his question, big contribution noOb

bdhm

Re: Is this possible in live?

Post by bdhm » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am

I'm having trouble doing a very basic thing in Live.
yes -- it should be possible. but is not

it would be super important to tweak instrument's knobs without recording.

and ---->

to play loops without warping.

already thinking --> to switch back to MAX/MSP ...

bd

Pantytec

Post by Pantytec » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 am

dango wrote:

there's your solution.
what bullshit?

hey turd, it's bullshit when you can't even have your modulation offline without it being recorded. besides, douche, you have 90 more posts than me, which sure as hell doesn't make you some veteran around here..

yeah keep on struggling on piss easy shit like you're experiancing.. now who's the noob?
Sony VAIO 1.6 duo, padKontrol, MOTU Ultralite, M-Audio BX5's, HHB BurnIT, A&H Xone 92, Live 6, Doepfer Sequencers.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:10 am

Pantytec wrote:
dango wrote:

there's your solution.
what bullshit?

hey turd, it's bullshit when you can't even have your modulation offline without it being recorded. besides, douche, you have 90 more posts than me, which sure as hell doesn't make you some veteran around here..

yeah keep on struggling on piss easy shit like you're experiancing.. now who's the noob?
actually turd, not that it matters but i have a lot more posts than you, just under a different screen name. the noob comment was due to your pointless thread about how noobs are ruining the board.

back to the subject of the thread, i don't know what your talking about, with overdub turned off it will not record your tweaks.

Brock Landers

Post by Brock Landers » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 am

Well my pocket rocket is larger than both yours put together.
I am a star. I am a big bright shining star.

Pantytec

Post by Pantytec » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 am

and that was soo two days ago too, get over it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:33 pm

Another option is to create a MIDI dummy track and route it's output to the track where your synth is. Another advantage to this is you can record your tweeking using this method if you come up with a gem and at the same time it won't permanently alter the original synth track.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:40 pm

usually people complain about NOT being able to record automation

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:07 pm

In other words, not only is this possible, but it's very easy - all you have to do is follow the tips from the first few posts.

You can even record a clip without recording the automation, by using the session view (that's the part people usually complain about ^^^^)