moving one clips loop start point with a MIDI knob

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
evilxsystems

moving one clips loop start point with a MIDI knob

Post by evilxsystems » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:08 am

I'm trying to change the start point of a warped audio loop using a mapped midi controller...the problem is when I do this, it moves the start point of whatever clip happens to be selected...I want to be able to assign knobs to move the start points of a bunch of different clips...how do I do this?

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:15 pm

This is actually not possible,
midi mapped transportcontrols always work on the selcted clip,
you can't control a clip wich isn't selected.
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:14 pm

OMFG...I can't believe there is no way of doing this...

966sf

Post by 966sf » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:23 pm

Ha ha, I actually would like to do this too (control clips that aren't selected, MIDI Map to move loop starts for individual clips). Maybe you should put it on the feature wishlist if it hasn't been talked about already?
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:48 am

this is so dumb...what good is mapping the loop start points globally? If you could overload the assignments for the loop start points you could do it by having the midi controller trigger the clip as well and if the Select on Launch preference is set it would swap back and forth, but because only one midi controller seems to be able to be assigned to the loop start point, you can't do it that way. Is there some other way to map it? Can it be done with sample offset or something?

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:33 pm

um...

since live 4:
drag and drop the clip to a Simpler on a midi track
if the clip was 1 bar long make a midi clip for the Simpler with a 1 bar long note
assign the loop start on the Simpler.

in live 6 you could make a rack full of Simplers with 1 midi clip and 1 note triggering them all every 4 or 8 or 32 or however many bars.

however many Simplers you want ready to drag and drop to. with the loop starts already midi assigned.

try it out functionally it should be very similar to what you are asking for.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

M-bition

Re: moving one clips loop start point with a MIDI knob

Post by M-bition » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Let me ask again...maybe there already is a way to do the following:

I'm trying to change the start point of a midi loop using a mapped midi controller...the problem is when I do this, it moves the start point of whatever clip happens to be selected...I want to be able to assign knobs to move the start points of a bunch of different clips...how do I do this?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:58 am

With max for live you could create a device for each track that alters the loop markers for a user selected clip, or clip now playing. It isn't something Live does without tweaking. Clip midi mapping follows selection. Anything you can think of to take control of selection will help.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm

www.isotonikstudios.com and the Looper within the modular series allows you to control the looping on the currently playing clip within a track, you'd need one for each track....

Video shows how i hook it up with novations dicer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vGsm-G ... Ag&index=1

Cheers
D

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Ok thanks. I will try this asap. It will work on miditracks ?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 am

After discussion it seems that this has nothing to do with looping so the Looper above was a far too complicated solution....

Mario basically has long midi clips that have a follow action of play again set for a certain time, this gives the illusion of the clip being set to loop....

With the below device you can set the jump size with clip envelopes, then either use the two punch buttons or map the dial to an encoder....

It'll work best with an endless encoder, however there is code in there that if you reach the start or end of the on screen dial then it will reset to the middle point...

Another custom device, done....

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:52 am

And now available for download at http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... art-marker

Cheers
D

M-bition

Post by M-bition » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 am

Many Thanks ! This is exactly what I wanted.

Wondering why it did not exist untill now...