Question regarding Live Filesharing Collaboration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
obscurityknocks

Question regarding Live Filesharing Collaboration

Post by obscurityknocks » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:02 am

I know this has been dealt with before, but can't seem to find answers for following 2 questions:

1) Easy way to send project files back and forth by uploading over the internet? (So far the ones I've tried seem to let you upload everything, but won't let you download the entire project file and its contents in one swoop. (such as seems to be the case with box.net in my attempts so far)?
Ease of use and decent-sized storage is key--with nothing over $100/year.

2) If you are passing a project back and forth, and only one person has Operator and Sampler unlocked, but ONLY THAT PERSON opens new tracks using these instruments, will the other person be able to play this set, make changes/additions to tracks OTHER THAN THE TRACKS with those instruments, save them, and pass them back if they only have the demo versions. Or do they have to purchase the full versions of these instruments?

Any help is appreciated--thank you!

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:07 am

i've had no problem using any filesharing sites like yousendit etc...just zip everything in the project folder to 1 zip file and send.

for any trax within a project that utilize an instrument that one of the collaborators doesn't have (whether it be operator or some other vst) just freeze that track...then everyone can still work on it
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:07 am

You could try Freezing the tracks that contain Virtual Instruments.

This way those tracks are bounced to 32-bit Audio files and the
other person does not need to own the VST.
It just turns it into another Audio Track

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:27 am

use Pownce to share your files. it's much easier and less of a PITA than FTP. If you dont mind 10mb filesize limits, then check it out at www.pownce.com
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:33 am

BinaryB wrote:You could try Freezing the tracks that contain Virtual Instruments.

Thats what I would do. Have never tried it though. Can you confirm that works?

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 am

tacvbo83 wrote:
BinaryB wrote:You could try Freezing the tracks that contain Virtual Instruments.

Thats what I would do. Have never tried it though. Can you confirm that works?
If it doesnt work for you you can...

- freeze the Vst track
- create an audio track
- drag the frozen Vst clips onto the new audio track

= this will convert the vst clips to audio clips.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 am

we freeze instrument trax for collab purposes all the time...not a problem
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:41 am

lunabass wrote:we freeze instrument trax for collab purposes all the time...not a problem
us too

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:15 am

1) Easy way to send project files back and forth by uploading over the internet? (So far the ones I've tried seem to let you upload everything, but won't let you download the entire project file and its contents in one swoop. (such as seems to be the case with box.net in my attempts so far)?
Ease of use and decent-sized storage is key--with nothing over $100/year.
heres a couple of other options for filesharing, but they need both ends to be online to work... the advantages are that theres no file limit and your stuff isn't saved online. i haven't used them, but when i saw them it struck me that they'd be good for this type of thing. could be worth looking at?

http://www.tubesnow.com/product.aspx

https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... sp?lang=en
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

obscurityknocks

Post by obscurityknocks » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:16 am

So just to confirm: The person without unlocked versions of Sampler and Operator will not even be able to just playback a live set someone else put together using these instruments? If so, does the project filesize go up exponentially? (I'm assuming it does?)

Thanks for all of your input.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:06 am

obscurityknocks wrote:So just to confirm: The person without unlocked versions of Sampler and Operator will not even be able to just playback a live set someone else put together using these instruments?
The person who has not unlocked sampler and operator will not be able to play back the set in full editing mode, but should be able to play back in demo mode. For this person to be able to playback the sampler/operator track and also add/edit other parts of the live set then the sampler/operator trax should be frozen.
obscurityknocks wrote:If so, does the project filesize go up exponentially? (I'm assuming it does?)
It does. Every track that is frozen creates a new audio file
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

obscurityknocks

Post by obscurityknocks » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:37 am

OK--Thanks...

So, in the interest of collaborating with someone who doesn't own Operator/Sampler, while taking audio quality & file size into consideration, how much of a difference is there between:

1. Freezing tracks
2. Resampling the audio tracks. (This method seems to create a much smaller file, as it is an AIFC audio file rather than a WAV file.--But how much of a quality difference are we talking about here?)

If the second method takes up much less space without losing a lot of quality, then it would seem to be the way to go (or maybe just until a later mastering stage).

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:58 am

As far as i know, Freeze tracks are 32bit rendered files where as the file size of anything you resample or record yourself will be dictated by your settings in the record, warp tab in your preferences. If you set your recording bit depth preference to 16bit then that recorded file will be a lot smaller than a 32bit frozen file.

The best advice i can give on the difference in sound quality between the two is to directly compare them yourself. listen to a 32bit vs a 16bit version of the same file and see what difference (if any) you can hear. theoretically 32 bit will sound better than 16 bit but if you cant hear the difference then there is no problem!
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds