[ot] glasgow / edinburgh.. any opinions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Strauzzie

[ot] glasgow / edinburgh.. any opinions?

Post by Strauzzie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:34 pm

So, I might *possibly* have the opportunity to work abroad for a year or so, and it would be in either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Does anyone on this forum hail from one of those two cities? I'm hoping to get a little feedback into what it would be like to live there. i.e. cost of living (renting), music scene, culture, how easy it is to travel to other spots in europe, etc..

thanks in advance!

Funkstar De Luxe

Post by Funkstar De Luxe » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:35 pm

Holy fuck, DO NOT come to Glasgow. Expensive, shit, horrible weather... I could list for ages. However club scene is good ;-)

ash1

Post by ash1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:43 pm

go to glasgow foget about the weather edinburgh is shit :lol:

marky

Post by marky » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:47 pm

No way, Glasgow is a fantastic city with tons of stuff going on. Sometimes you need to be away from a place for a while to really appreciate it, plus the music scene is spot-on. The weather is not the greatest though :-( but I know plenty of people who have gone there for a year or two and loved it (and one of them was from OH).

Edinburgh is more touristy and is also a fun place to be, but for electronic music, Glasgow has it in the can.

Travel to anywhere in Europe is dirt-cheap with all the cheapo airlines flying around.
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:52 pm

FFS they are 45 mins apart. It doesn't matter - live in one visit the other. Both are depressing for many reasons which is why I'm moving to the US next month.

D.
I invented coffee

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:09 pm

Lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years a while back and visited Glasgow a few times. Loved both cities. I always got the impression that Edinburgh was colder and windier and Glasgow was wetter. Visit both and then decide, think it comes down to taste, both have their advantages and disadvantages.
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

telekom

Post by telekom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:01 pm

What everybody said is true (apart from the "Glasgow is totally shit" comment, lol). Glasgow good stuff: great music scene, good clubs, good bars, some good food places, amazing natural beauty on your doorstep, thriving arts scene, friendly people. Glasgow bad stuff: Some violence (it's a city...), big drinking culture, weather. Edinburgh (in my biased opinion, but also in the opinion of some friends who live in Edinburgh) has not such a great music and club scene. Sometimes I think Edinburgh folk can be a bit snooty. But that might be the chip on my Glaswegian shoulder... :)

I honestly think you would enjoy both cities. If you come with an open mind and get in amongst it you'll have a ball. I have many friends from other parts of UK and from Norway, Spain, Canada who moved here and stayed. PM me when you get here and I'll buy you a beer. :)

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Mark
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:06 pm

Glasgow more rootsy, better bars and clubs imho.. Edinburgh is prettier and chock full of tourists like any capital city I spose. They are only 40 mins apart by train so no worries either way but I would live in Glasgow every time. Mon then wee man !!!

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:09 am

Worked/lived in Glasgow for a few years - it's a bit rougher round the edges than Edinburgh. Edinburgh can be extremely pretentious in places especially round George Street where all the "cool cats" hang out... Visually though Edinburgh is stunning, the new town has some of the best Georgian architecture in the UK, if your into that kind of thing - plus there's the castle - always take it for granted but if you stop for a moment and check it out it's pretty spectacular thing to have on your doorstep.

You'll never get get bored in either city, plenty to do and see. You never mentioned what kind of music your into/after - theres plenty to see and hear in terms of live music but Glasgow does steal the show in that department. Club wise - Edinburgh's venues went through a grim patch the past few years with most of the main/big ones closing... there are a few still though Cabaret Voltaire is one to check out.

As has been mentioned there only an hour apart by road or rail so it really doesn't matter where you stay plus you have the rest of Scotland (the highlands and islands) ony few hours drive away.

If your going to choose Edinburgh i'd recommend stockbridge or dean village to live- both 5 mins walk from the city center and pretty stunning parts of the world. Oh and another thing Edinburgh city center is ridiculously expensive - especially accomodation.... Flights to other parts of europe will be pennies - barcelona for £40, Paris for £30 - all kinds of crazy deals on if you book far enough in advance.

mosca

Post by mosca » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:35 am

glasgow is full of whiney glasgwegians and therfore must be avoided at all costs.

the music scene is made up of all the same people going to all the same gigs and patting each other on the back - as an outsider you will not be welcomed into it. the club scene was great about 10 years ago but if of course there's still optimo where you can see haircuts done with butter knives, leg warmers and all manner of ironic t-shirts whilst listening to frankie's relax mixed into joy division with a UK grime acapella over the top - it's oh so exciting and cutting edge. i worked there for many years and couldn't wait to get away from the place.

edinburgh in the other hand has no music scene left with the closure of the venue and you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who isn't australian living there. but it does look really nice in the summer.

my advice - don't go to either of them.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:42 am

mosca wrote:glasgow is full of whiney glasgwegians and therfore must be avoided at all costs.

the music scene is made up of all the same people going to all the same gigs and patting each other on the back - as an outsider you will not be welcomed into it. the club scene was great about 10 years ago but if of course there's still optimo where you can see haircuts done with butter knives, leg warmers and all manner of ironic t-shirts whilst listening to frankie's relax mixed into joy division with a UK grime acapella over the top - it's oh so exciting and cutting edge. i worked there for many years and couldn't wait to get away from the place.

edinburgh in the other hand has no music scene left with the closure of the venue and you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who isn't australian living there. but it does look really nice in the summer.

my advice - don't go to either of them.
:lol:

stuart64

Post by stuart64 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:50 am

Lived in Edinburgh for a while now in Dundee but hey, making my own scene.

For music, Glasgow is the place to be, nicer people, better access to europe, less tourists, trust me it makes a big difference. Weather not great but it's the same anywhere in scotland, no getting away from it.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are 1 hour apart so it's not a big deal.

What about Dundee, cheap as chips and 1 hour from both, plus it's the sunniest place in Scotland! :D

marky

Post by marky » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:05 pm

dmacintyre wrote:FFS they are 45 mins apart. It doesn't matter - live in one visit the other. Both are depressing for many reasons which is why I'm moving to the US next month.

D.
I moved from Glasgow to the US 6 and a half years ago and there's plenty reasons to be depressed here too, believe me. Fortunately, the weather isn't usually one of them (unless you're moving to a hurricane zone).
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:09 pm

marky wrote:
dmacintyre wrote:FFS they are 45 mins apart. It doesn't matter - live in one visit the other. Both are depressing for many reasons which is why I'm moving to the US next month.

D.
I moved from Glasgow to the US 6 and a half years ago and there's plenty reasons to be depressed here too, believe me. Fortunately, the weather isn't usually one of them (unless you're moving to a hurricane zone).
Maryland. Don't know where yet - I'm going over in a few weeks to check out the different areas.

D.
I invented coffee

barryp

Post by barryp » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Work in Edinburgh, go out in Edinburgh, but would prefer Glasgow. Better bars an nightlife. edinburgh o.k, more office chicks tho.

Both have there ups n downs, but Glasgow just edges it.