Routing a track to more than one place

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gavin

Routing a track to more than one place

Post by Gavin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Is there any way to reroute a track's output to another track while still sending its output to Master?

I'm using an audio effect plugin that can accept multiple inputs. I know that audio from other channels can be routed to any of these multiple inputs using the "Audio To" drop down controls. I'm wondering if there is a way to do this using the "Audio From" controls.

For example:

I'm using a compression plugin that has inputs for the track's audio, and additional inputs for a key audio signal which allows for "ducking" effects etc.

If I route a channel's output to the desired input channel on the track using the compressor, the compressor works perfectly - but now I can't hear the other track's output because I've switched it away from Master.

I assumed that "Audio From" would work like "Audio To" in reverse - meaning accepting audio from a specific track (possible) into a specific plugin channel (impossible?).

scorb

Post by scorb » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:29 pm

yeah I want to do this as well!

As it stands you have to duplicate any channels that you want to use as sidechain triggers etc. Not very elegant and a waste of cpu resources really.

Hopefully ableton will find a way to implement this better in a future update.

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:41 pm

some of the nicer compressors have a "key" command that will play the triggering sample(usually the kick) uncompressed to your master.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am

use a send

scorb

Post by scorb » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:44 am

Hi there

Using a send doesn't help. you still can only use it to trigger sidechaining on one track. you would have to route the sends output (via "audio to" dropdown) for it to go to a plugins sidechain input. If you want that input available to other tracks you would have to create another send. This is equally as inefficient as simply duplicating your kick channel which is what most of us want for sidechaining.

in logic you can use a send and then call up that send from within as many sidechain plugins as you want. The problem with live is that you can only route audio to a sidechain input via the track's "audio to" dropdown.

As discussed what we need is the option to select "audio from" on the channel you want the sidechain input on, and for it to be selectably routable to the plugin input.

Sounds complicated, hope you know what I mean. :)

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:26 pm

Ok, seems like everyone knows what I'm talking about and there is no solution that doesn't involved creating extra tracks, send or otherwise.

I'm less concerned about CPU resources than I am about creating unnecessary tracks. This kind of thing can really complicate an otherwise simple set.

I'll link to this in the Feature Wishlist thread.

1pauper1

Post by 1pauper1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:28 pm

Gavin wrote:Ok, seems like everyone knows what I'm talking about and there is no solution that doesn't involved creating extra tracks, send or otherwise.

I'm less concerned about CPU resources than I am about creating unnecessary tracks. This kind of thing can really complicate an otherwise simple set.

I'll link to this in the Feature Wishlist thread.

i may be missing what you are trying to accomplish , but it sounds
like its real easy.

when you choose another track as a track input, live automatically sidechains the original tapped track.it still goes to the master AND to the track you want to use for input on. the sends and return track stuff isn't necessary.

track 1 is an audiofile set to master as its output.
track 2 has your plugin and has its input set to track 1, output to master
the master recieves the dry signal from track 1 and the wet signal from track 2
when the aliens finally come to conquer the earth,let us hope that their weapons of choice are fender telecasters and macintels...

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:19 pm

1pauper1 wrote:when you choose another track as a track input, live automatically sidechains the original tapped track.it still goes to the master AND to the track you want to use for input on. the sends and return track stuff isn't necessary.

I'm looking for a way to direct the signal from track 1 to a specific input of the plugin on track 2 (Allowed by "Audio To" but not by "Audio From").

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Gavin wrote:
1pauper1 wrote:when you choose another track as a track input, live automatically sidechains the original tapped track.it still goes to the master AND to the track you want to use for input on. the sends and return track stuff isn't necessary.

I'm looking for a way to direct the signal from track 1 to a specific input of the plugin on track 2 (Allowed by "Audio To" but not by "Audio From").
Hi,

If I understand your problem correctly, you can still use the 'Audio to' on Track 1 to send to one destination, and create an additional Audio track, where you set the 'Audio from' to receive signal from Track 1, and set the 'Audio to' to send that signal to another destination.

It requires additional tracks, but you can already achieve what you want to do.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:01 am

Hi Amaury

For sure, as we have already said, what we want is achievable. However it is an inelegant implementation compared to what we have suggested. I always reach the cpu ceiling in my tracks and i find that every additional track you add to the arrangement is a drain of resources.

if you could route audio to plugin inputs (sidechains etc) via the "audio from" dropdown then there is no need for additional tracks and hense less cpu overhead and a less cluttered arrange page.

Surely something of benefit to all of us ;)

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:58 am

Something else that occurs to me.

When you route say 2 tracks to another track (or send) for combined processing, it would be great to have an option whereby you only need to sole that channel to hear the audio.

a good example of what I mean is when you send your kick and bass to another track for compressing etc.

As it stands you have to solo the kick, the bass and the track they are routed to. It would be a real timesaver (and much less of a pain in the arse) if you could change this behaviour somehow.

if you solo the kick you currently hear nothing and if you solo the "group" channel you hear nothing. in logic when you solo something that is routed to another channel, it still plays.

some sort of group solo would work best.

that way, if you solo the "group" channel it automatically solos any tracks inputting to it, and, contrawise, if you solo one of the input channels (in this case kick or bass), the "group" channel auto solos as well.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:00 pm

grouping on the sends helps a bit with this, you can solo the individual tracks although soloing the group doesnt also solo the individual tracks

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:24 pm

Yeah I agree, using sends as a group channel works better.

I just got out of that habit because sends used to have some algorithm preventing them going over 0db (presumably to prevent you blowing your monitors when sending a send to itself and causing too much feedback).

I didn't trust the sends to be "clean" because of this and din't want to put hot signals thru them.

I haven't checked them out for this problem until last night. Now it seems they behave like any other channel and will indeed clip, so I will start using them for groups again.