Live audio quality?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:28 am

3phase wrote:
forge wrote:
by now there are countless examples of stunning sound quality created with Live - Robert's "monolake" project being a shining example - you want to hear top notch sound quality, go and check that out

just learn how to use the tools if you want them

if you dont, then dont

I learned to use tools even before they went on a pc base...its possible to have a good quality with live... when you work around it and use digital soundsources like a nordmodular the dullness even helps it..
it just dont helps when you want to remix complete mixes or playback high quality recordings with expensiv mikes...

Its a fact that you can have a better quality when mixing the live audio files in another daw.. Many people use this production technique and having ableton in rewire or feeding analog ddesks aso...
They are all stupid and havent learned to use the tools?

This is what i call arrogance..

and actually ... isnt mr henke a protools owner aswell? might be wrong..but there was a studio interview once in a magazin ..too long ago.. he might answer that or not
I just wonder if he really is doing ableton live only productions..sounds a bit too good for that..
but its possible..
i ve a handfull of mixes where ableton live shines ..as i said.especially in an all digital soundsource setup..theire the mushiness works quite allwright..

But this dont changes my point of view that it should be improoved for the other cases wher i need to access recordings that are not made in a fashion to work with teh special ableton live sound...
A daw should be able to act neutral aswell...
YOU'RE STILL BEING WAY TOO VAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give us an exact step by step process in which you get this mushy result that you don't get in other daws.

STEP BY STEP.

STEP BY STEP.

one more time

SHOW US STEP BY STEP HOW YOU GET THIS MUSHY SOUND!

how many times have I asked you to be specific and you're still just going on about how mushy ableton sounds in general, yet you obviously aren't even very experienced with using it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:33 am

3phase wrote:sorry.. i worked with logic, cubase, protools, studio vision, akai, publison, augan, fairlight..but i am to dumb for Live?
and I'll be the first to say it: who gives a flying f*** what you've worked on? nobody said you were dumb but we have pointed out that you obviously are using live wrong. if you were to point out to us STEP BY STEP your process we could show you where you're going wrong but if you keep on ranting on and on about how great you are in the studio then what are we going to accomplish?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:51 am

I'm getting you guys straight jackets for Xmas.
I got a feeling some of you need it.

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 am

It seems that Robert is the only one that read my posts on this subject and not only that he responded with the answer I was looking for.

ie: automation creates audible artifacts and that they will be addressed in the next major update!

YES YES YES!!! :) :) :)

you could mix a track in Live with NO warping whatsoever, but we ALL use automation (no matter what the platform or DAW). and I'm talking about the basics here: Volume automation!

the fact that you are all arguing about Lives audio and warp engine affecting quality when Robert has just aknowledged that Live's current automation is the biggest audio quality issue just re-emphasises my point that you guys are doing too many pointless tests and not using live enough practically to identify real world problems with the audio issue.

I thank you Robert from the bottom of my heart that this issue will be lessened in the future.

This was my main concern with Live's audio, great to know it's not just me :)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:34 pm

scorb wrote:It seems that Robert is the only one that read my posts on this subject and not only that he responded with the answer I was looking for.

ie: automation creates audible artifacts and that they will be addressed in the next major update!

you could mix a track in Live with NO warping whatsoever, but we ALL use automation (no matter what the platform or DAW). and I'm talking about the basics here: Volume automation!

the fact that you are all arguing about Lives audio and warp engine affecting quality when Robert has just aknowledged that Live's current automation is the biggest audio quality issue just re-emphasises my point that you guys are doing too many pointless tests and not using live enough practically to identify real world problems with the audio issue.

I thank you Robert from the bottom of my heart that this issue will be lessened in the future.

Sorry..you are wright and made a great point i wasnt aware of.. this defently can be part of the phenomen
but only one part because this noises can oly apear during fades..
And i used often fades in the past...so one source of audio degenration nailed.

And to the people that want me to do step by step instructions..just read the manual and do a track... from beginning to the end..

and than read the manual and do the same track on another daw..

no plug ins no automation...

is it sounding the same?

not on my system and not on the systems of others i know and most likely also not on the systems of other people that complain from time to time...

Its no myth... otherwise this discussion would have been over years ago...
that it pops up again and again tells a story in itself...
Part of the story is that ableton started to late to look for reasons...
arrogance never helps
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:16 pm

""it sounds better when using the hammerfall internal mixer than using the live internal mixer.. ""

SAME HERE!! .. I use the multiface too

.. and i dont need to test this with science and whatnot. I just HEAR it clearly. period

(i should mention I use headphones 99% of the time.)

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:33 pm

guys,

why don't you use something else to produce then. If you can clearly hear so much difference and it bothers you enough, it seems counter productive for you to use live. You will never be happy with anything you create in it.

Maybe you should ditch live and try the demo of 7 when it comes out to see if you are happier switching back then.

I personally think that there is an issue as has been said before (no smoke without fire), but for fooks sake, you have clearly convinced yourself of this, so why not use something else.

I'm sure that once ableton has been around as long as logic/Cubase/PT has, the audio will be loads better. As Robert says, the next update will address the automation artifacts. further updates will improve other issues and the cumulative effect will be better sounding audio. I suggest you come back when that happens or use live and accept that it will improve in the future.

in the mean time, try to identify REAL issues that can be addressed instead of making yet another pointless statement that will resolve nothing.

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:36 pm

basic beat warping doesnt do anything to the sound. We have clearly figured that out in my topic "How to disable Mr. Ugly Warp".

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:36 pm

3phase wrote:
scorb wrote:It seems that Robert is the only one that read my posts on this subject and not only that he responded with the answer I was looking for.

Sorry..you are wright and made a great point i wasnt aware of.. this defently can be part of the phenomen
but only one part because this noises can oly apear during fades..
And i used often fades in the past...so one source of audio degenration nailed.

And to the people that want me to do step by step instructions..just read the manual and do a track... from beginning to the end..

and than read the manual and do the same track on another daw..

no plug ins no automation...

is it sounding the same?

not on my system and not on the systems of others i know and most likely also not on the systems of other people that complain from time to time...

Its no myth... otherwise this discussion would have been over years ago...
that it pops up again and again tells a story in itself...
Part of the story is that ableton started to late to look for reasons...
arrogance never helps
well I must be an idiot then because I started using Logic before it even handled audio, and saw most of it's versions before the apple takeover, and have used most other DAWs as well, and I also started recording on analog tape before hard disk recording was around - and I am really happy with the sounds I get from Live

anyway, I only got dragged into this same old tired debate that has been around this forum far too many times because I was supposed to be doing something else

I really cant be arsed arguing for the sake of it with an egomaniac

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:38 pm

why don't you guys give it a rest?

it's you against the rest of the world, really..

it's like you're trying to convince the whole population of the US that european cars are better than US build..

which;
1. you can never proof..
2. it's a lost battle to begin with because of 1

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:46 pm

scorb wrote:guys,

why don't you use something else to produce then. If you can clearly hear so much difference and it bothers you enough, it seems counter productive for you to use live. You will never be happy with anything you create in it.

Maybe you should ditch live and try the demo of 7 when it comes out to see if you are happier switching back then.

I personally think that there is an issue as has been said before (no smoke without fire), but for fooks sake, you have clearly convinced yourself of this, so why not use something else.

I'm sure that once ableton has been around as long as logic/Cubase/PT has, the audio will be loads better. As Robert says, the next update will address the automation artifacts. further updates will improve other issues and the cumulative effect will be better sounding audio. I suggest you come back when that happens or use live and accept that it will improve in the future.

in the mean time, try to identify REAL issues that can be addressed instead of making yet another pointless statement that will resolve nothing.
+1

well said

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:46 pm

"it's you against the rest of the world, really.. "

no, sir. Its us against the forum. jees.... I doubt the rest of the world is using Ableton to do their mixes with. Sure the rest of the wrold is using ableton to mix their mp3 with on stage. No doubt about that.

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:48 pm

forge wrote:

+1

well said
because we friggin PAID for ableton live! Including friggin sampler whcih CANT friggin RUN in other hosts

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Heinz Graaf wrote:
forge wrote:

+1

well said
because we friggin PAID for ableton live! Including friggin sampler whcih CANT friggin RUN in other hosts
well, more fool you really

sell it then

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:53 pm

oh yes now we are fools because we bought Ableton Live. Go make your 10000 post already.... Jeez 10.000? And you dare to point your finger. lmao