new harddrive for pb 550. internal or external?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ti-bookers marc

new harddrive for pb 550. internal or external?

Post by ti-bookers marc » Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:07 pm

hi there,

i need a new hd for my ti-book (550Mhz).
what is the fastest 2,5" that i can buy for the powerbook? any recommondations? does it make sense to buy a external 3,5" firewire hd, cause the are much faster or is the ti-book not able to handle this in combination with audio appz?
let me know!

marc
ti-bookers

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:10 pm

I use the OWC Mercury Elite Firewire HD. Its cheap and fast and is very well regarded among musicians as reliable and affordable. It is just as good as a Glyph drive but 1/3 the cost.

neinvolt

hard drive for tibook

Post by neinvolt » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:01 am

I also have a 550 tibook and a owc mercury elite external drive. I have been happy with the the owc drive and it is very quiet but it uses an IBM deskstar drive inside the FW case. There is a class action lawsuit against IBM because of very high failure rates with the deskstar drives so I wouldn't really recomend this drive. I work as a computer consultant and I have seen three clients deskstars die in the past year. Mine has been fine but it is only on a couple hours a day. I don't like bringing an external drive to gigs so I replaced the internal drive on my laptop with a 40gig/5400rpm/8mb-buffered IBM travelstar and it has been good to me so far. OWC sells the FW casses seperately so I would suggest their case with a quantum (maxtor) drive.

jazze

Post by jazze » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:26 am

I have a PowerBook G3 500Mhz (Pismo) and use it with external FireWire Drive 80Gb (Oxford IceCube 7200Rpm) witch is fast and compact .
I 've been using it with OS9.2.2 and Live 1.5.5 with no probs...
But with OSX.1 and Jaguar OSX.2 the FireWire disk spins down after 10-15 minutes its very frustrating ... i just posted a thread about this ... maybe its a bug in OSX ?

enyway i am shure that for portables the best way to use external FireWire 7200rpm disks as they are muuuch faster than eny internal portable disks and allow more tracks to be recorded or played back for audio or video.. or enyone knows a internal HD for PowerBooks that are 7200Rpm ?

jazze

ti-bookers marc

hd for pb550

Post by ti-bookers marc » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:32 am

thanks a lot for your help. i will go for an external firewire one.
@jazze: i thought this bug would have been fixed with 10.2?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:55 pm

you'd be surprised at the difference a 5400 RPM internal drive can make. FIreWire ofcourse will be faster but some units can also be very taxing on the CPU. i think i'd still go with the FW and just beef up to as much RAM as possible. it's nice to have a swapable drive that you can bring around.