How to get most out of Trigger finger + Live 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

How to get most out of Trigger finger + Live 6

Post by rikhyray » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:26 pm

I want to use Trigger Finger as my portable controller.
Faderfoxes are great but too tiny for me for live situations, being stuck with factory presets was another drag.
Never been M audio fan ,so I am nicely surprised how it works as drum controller, way better then MPD 16, even better then padKontrol for drums, while Korg feels better for percussion.
I guess there most be some interesting templates, tips, tutorials etc. Before I start reinventing a wheel I would love to see first what others have done.
Any tips links will be appreciated, please dont even mention forums search, I checked it already and we all know how it is.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:59 pm

There are several threads about using the MackieControl protocol with the trigger finger. Seek those out.

It allows you to do things like, cursor left/up/down/right, undo, play selected clip, play selected scene, etc.. all from your trigger finger.

Let me know if you can't find it and i'll find the docs and post them up.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:39 pm

"found 5054 matches" BTW. I need something for XP pc.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:47 pm

Rahlo

Re: How to get most out of Trigger finger + Live 6

Post by Rahlo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:52 am

rikhyray wrote:I want to use Trigger Finger as my portable controller.
Faderfoxes are great but too tiny for me for live situations, being stuck with factory presets was another drag.
Never been M audio fan ,so I am nicely surprised how it works as drum controller, way better then MPD 16, even better then padKontrol for drums, while Korg feels better for percussion.
I guess there most be some interesting templates, tips, tutorials etc. Before I start reinventing a wheel I would love to see first what others have done.
Any tips links will be appreciated, please dont even mention forums search, I checked it already and we all know how it is.
Whadup rik,

Oh yeah, the TF is incredible when you figure out how to customize it to how you want to work. The easiest way to program it and come up with presets for different songs/situations is to use the Enigma software. For me, it was hard to get to grips with at first, but once I understood it, a whole new world opened up. I can now do a totally improv set controlling Live without ever having to touch my laptop at all—I'm talking scrolling up or down to record new clips, recording reason instruments on their own tracks, looping my vocals, the whole nine!

Unfortunately, I got a new black macbook that doesn't play nice with the TF. It powers the TF, but Live doesn't pick it up unless I use a powered USB hub—which I can't do b/c I used my TF on a mic stand in the center of the stage with my lappie off to the side. It meant 2 more cables and having to rethink my setup, which I wasn't willing to do. So, I've switced over to the mpd 24, which is even easier to program from the front panel than the TF imo.

It's worth taking the time to learn Enigma. You can do a TON of useful stuff with the TF once you learn how to quickly program it with the enigma software.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:51 am

Rahlo did you try another triggerfinger or did you try the one you've got with somebody elses cause my blackbook cd2 powers the triggerfinger and the korgpadkontrol without any problems.

peace
for the love of Live

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:21 am

::mic-minimal:: wrote:Rahlo did you try another triggerfinger or did you try the one you've got with somebody elses cause my blackbook cd2 powers the triggerfinger and the korgpadkontrol without any problems.

peace
dood, I took my TF and my blackbook to GC and Sam Ash to try out new TF units, and to also see if mine would work with other computers or if there was something wrong with the TF itself. My TF works fine with my Mac Pro and any other computer I hook it up to—it's just this particular macbook that it doesn't play well with. New TFs didn't work with it either, but both the Korg PadKontrol and the MPD 24 work perfectly fine with it.

And like I said, if I use a powered hub the TF works fine—which points to an underpowered USB port on my macbook. I can't imagine that those other units (the Korg and the mpd 24) use any less power though.

It's a shame b/c I had my junk worked out perfectly, and the Enigma had become (for me) the isht!
peace,

rahlo

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

DJ VAKIS

Re: How to get most out of Trigger finger + Live 6

Post by DJ VAKIS » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:56 am

rikhyray wrote:I want to use Trigger Finger as my portable controller.
Actualy i was wondering the same but for the AKAI MPD 24.
Any one can help?
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 am

rahlo wrote:
::mic-minimal:: wrote:Rahlo did you try another triggerfinger or did you try the one you've got with somebody elses cause my blackbook cd2 powers the triggerfinger and the korgpadkontrol without any problems.

peace
dood, I took my TF and my blackbook to GC and Sam Ash to try out new TF units, and to also see if mine would work with other computers or if there was something wrong with the TF itself. My TF works fine with my Mac Pro and any other computer I hook it up to—it's just this particular macbook that it doesn't play well with. New TFs didn't work with it either, but both the Korg PadKontrol and the MPD 24 work perfectly fine with it.

And like I said, if I use a powered hub the TF works fine—which points to an underpowered USB port on my macbook. I can't imagine that those other units (the Korg and the mpd 24) use any less power though.

It's a shame b/c I had my junk worked out perfectly, and the Enigma had become (for me) the isht!
man that's really weird, but anyway what's your thoughts on the mpd 24 so far,
for the love of Live

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 am

::mic-minimal:: wrote:
man that's really weird, but anyway what's your thoughts on the mpd 24 so far,
There are many things I like about it more than the TF, one of which is the build quality. It's sturdy and heavy—doesn't feel as cheaply made as the TF! It's a lot easier (to me) to program it from the machine itself. I dig that it has more faders and the little screen on it is very, very readable. Plus, it straight up just LOOKS the bizness, ya know?!

Obviously, there are some cons, and some things I dig more about the TF. It was dope to be able to mount the TF on a mic stand, hook up an extra long usb cable to it, and put the macbook over to the side. I think the TF is a little more flexible in that you can choose to transmit either note info, midi cc info, or both, or neither, from each individual pad. I don't think you can do all of this with the mpd (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

Imo, a HUGE advantage for the TF is the Enigma software. I'm telling ya bruh, as much as I LOVE the mpd now, if all things were equal I'd have to go with the TF simply b/c of Enigma. I can't make heads or tails of the Uniquest software editor that came with the mpd. None of the screenshots in the manual match what I'm seeing, nor have the steps they outline to get it working on the mac panned out for me.

The reason this is so important to me is not just the ease of programming the TF which Enigma provides, but also the fact that my presets are automatically backed up when I clone my hard drive every few days. I'd never have to start over from scratch if my gear got stolen or I somehow destroyed my TF at a show or something—just get a new one, and upload all my presets to it. Easy!

If something were to happen to the mpd before I get the Uniquest thing figured out, I'd have to start programming a new one from scractch, which ain't zesty at all!
peace,

rahlo

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:53 am

The size/ weight factor matters to me, Akai weights and costs more then 2 TF . Display would be huge advantage for me but I am sceptical about anything Numark/Akai/Alesis since their quality control is hopeless, I think M audio is better, well the word better.... say not that bad when compared.
Perhaps there is something wrong with your unit Rahlo, considering the display and other goodies I would expect MPD to consume more power.
Enigma is better then most of editors though I find Enigmaless editing quick and easy too. The best thing is that it works for more midi gear unlike Korg that has separate editor for each piece of gear.
Still I am definitely in search of templates, not anymore to use as they are, but more for getting new ideas.
I downloaded yesterday newest Edirol Live templates, already tweaked them for microKontrol and will see how I may recycle that for TF.
BTW. I sold my Akai MPC 1k because I have a gut feeling that new Reason will be a killer- the sequencer, groove thing etc. I couldnt live with the 44.1 16 low fi sound. TF with RDK is another universe,.
I had the same feeling about ver.3 -you know the result, the album that you appreciate.
I just wait to get it and dive into creating something new inspired by new sounds and workflow. I will be using Reason live probably more then ever. Microkontrol to control it like hardware workstation (using only mK displays, no Reason on computer display), extra 61 or 49 keys and TF for drums and perc.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:25 pm

rikhyray wrote:The size/ weight factor matters to me, Akai weights and costs more then 2 TF . Display would be huge advantage for me but I am sceptical about anything Numark/Akai/Alesis since their quality control is hopeless, I think M audio is better, well the word better.... say not that bad when compared.
Perhaps there is something wrong with your unit Rahlo, considering the display and other goodies I would expect MPD to consume more power.
Enigma is better then most of editors though I find Enigmaless editing quick and easy too. The best thing is that it works for more midi gear unlike Korg that has separate editor for each piece of gear.
Still I am definitely in search of templates, not anymore to use as they are, but more for getting new ideas.
I downloaded yesterday newest Edirol Live templates, already tweaked them for microKontrol and will see how I may recycle that for TF.
BTW. I sold my Akai MPC 1k because I have a gut feeling that new Reason will be a killer- the sequencer, groove thing etc. I couldnt live with the 44.1 16 low fi sound. TF with RDK is another universe,.
I had the same feeling about ver.3 -you know the result, the album that you appreciate.
I just wait to get it and dive into creating something new inspired by new sounds and workflow. I will be using Reason live probably more then ever. Microkontrol to control it like hardware workstation (using only mK displays, no Reason on computer display), extra 61 or 49 keys and TF for drums and perc.
I feel you man. The mpd is HEAVY and expensive for what it does (if you're comparing it to the TF, that is). But I HATE the idea of having to carry a powered usb hub just to be able to use it.

And you're right, the new Reason is killer (I was in on the beta testing of it)! It sounds really thick (Thor, that is) and the regroove addition is pretty serious! And to think, I was an inch away from eliminating reason from my hard drive about a year or so ago.

Yes ya'll, Rikhyray has a seriously good, commercially viable (imho) chillout album just languishing away on his hard drive. He was good enough to mail me a copy, and I was blown away by what he was able to create with Reason and Live.

Lushness, ethnic sounds, ridiculous percussion programming, and tasty synth lines are how I'd describe most of it. Get on him and make him at least make it freely downloadable if he's not gonna sell it! 8)

The story behind how/why/when he created it is interesting too. Definitely worth telling here RR! How 'bout it?
peace,

rahlo

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks. I will write perhaps later- should warn people how not to mess up their life/hearing- now I got to work, I am slowing down my video thing, started a new project with new singer, I really missed audio work. So now I have to work parallel on both AV and audio.
You were right, Enigma is great, since I used 3 different editors in last few hours, can compare, Enigma is the winner, that simple "drag" function is brilliant, save so much time.
I am already set with TF as Live controller. It is crazy how small details make a winner, in this case the banks shifting which on stage is tricky. For edirol and Korg you need 2 hands or fingers and I already had problems live, so mK will be only for Reason and Edirol ...probably for Ebay.
I was thinking about getting Novation SL again for Live but TF works so well, it might be enough, I dont want more gear, rather less that can do more.