Latency starting loops

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
corLive

Latency starting loops

Post by corLive » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:43 pm

Hello, I am new to Live so this is probably going to be an easy question for some of you experienced users.
During the verse of one of our songs, we want to kick off a drum loop but are experiencing some delay when the key is pushed. At first I thought the problem was that the control needed to be set to activate "on press" rather than "on release" of the key (and btw, I have no idea how to change that setting). Now I do not think that is the issue. There is just a slight delay when the key is pressed.
I have tried the delay compensation setting with no luck. I have plenty of processing power and tried it on my mac g4 and windows notebook which has a 2.6 ghz proc.
How can I get the sample to start immediately when pressed?
Thanks to all who reply.

longjohns

Re: Latency starting loops

Post by longjohns » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:45 pm

corLive wrote:I have plenty of processing power and tried it on my mac g4 and windows notebook which has a 2.6 ghz proc.
8O

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:46 pm

but seriously...

maybe a quantize setting? is this a clip? maybe some more details would help

corLive

Post by corLive » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:57 pm

It's a short .wav.

Hardly anything my humble g4 couldn't handle. I realize you need the pertinent info. but we're talking one .wav file in this session. If you want I can list the RAM, bus speed, FSB, BSB, etc. but my point is in this instance, processing power is not the issue. Something we simply want to start/stop. We're using a radium 49 for a controller...?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi corLive, as longjohns suggested, have you tried going over the parts of the manual covering quantize settings?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:08 pm

btw, I did not mean details of your computer, which you might have assumed due to my crack at your g4

hey, I use a 2.6g P4 myself! ;)

I don't have any illusions about its power compared to new chips though

anyway, I meant more details of your setup and methods in Live. what is your global quantize setting, the clip quantize settings, mapped to keys / MIDI ? etc

dr.wackler

Re: Latency starting loops

Post by dr.wackler » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 pm

corLive wrote:I have tried the delay compensation setting with no luck.
Have you tried what happens when you deactivate delay compensation? Sounds like that that would be the issue. Any heavily delay compensated plugin (like a mastering limiter, linear phase EQ, Meloyne or something) in one of the channels?

cavern

Post by cavern » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Try going to options and turn the input and output buffer down. The total latency should be below 5ms. If you hear clicks/static the buffer size is too low. Also if you dont have a decent soundcard/driver download ASIO4ALL. It's free and is better than nothing.

Fidel

Post by Fidel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:11 pm

I would be willing to bet whoever mentioned the global quantize is right. If you have global quantize set for one measure it will wait until the next measure to start. This will create a "lag" for you. The program is just waiting until the next most appropriate (according to software settings and music theory) time to start. At the beginning of the next measure.
Toshiba Satellite M115 (Core Duo 1.60Ghz-1g ram) / MacBook Pro 2Ghz/2g ram

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:16 pm

To clarify, by default Live assumes that you want to play everything in sync with a 4/4 beat. This means triggered clips won't start until the beginning of the next complete 4/4 sequence.

Of course you can override this any way you want by changing the global or clip quantize settings.

laird

Post by laird » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:07 pm

And you are positive there isn't a short amount of silence at the beginning of this .wav?

If all other loops trigger just fine, I'd say the problem is in the sample. Adjust the "start time" to the actual beginning of the sound, not the sample.

corLive

Post by corLive » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:36 pm

ahh, I have to apologize.
I CANNOT believe I forgot to edit the stupid loop. I've done it a hundred times.
Thanks for all the replies. I have alot of work ahead to learn this program and so I'm sure I'll be lurking around.
Best to all,
Corey

laird

Post by laird » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:39 pm

heh heh,
I've never ever ever done anything like that in the past ;)

I certianly haven't ever loaded up a loop and quantized it, trusting that the quantize to "just work", only to actually listen to said loop after mixing thw whole song down, and discovering it sounds like butt because I didn't edit out the little bit of silence at the start of the one drum loop.

Nope, never done that.

corLive

Post by corLive » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Yeah, this says it all :oops: