Logic 8 finally released! NO JOKE THIS TIME!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daim

Post by Daim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:24 pm

ol wtf i expected sth better

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:30 pm

Logic's low price and mountains of features is certainly bad news for Ableton.

I've always wondered why they've been trying to compete with DAWs like Logic and PT in their last few updates. Ableton's app is called Live, thus stability and live performance features should be key. Like people were saying, session view is Live's most unique feature and greatest strength.

Unfortunately Ableton's been adding arrange features and neglecting session view for a couple years now, and only a few releases of versions 5 & 6 have been stable enough to play out with.

This should be a signal for them to get back to basics and focus on what makes them unique.

Daim

Post by Daim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:32 pm

omg the price! for 500bucks its pretty hot.. just listened to the delay demo.. wow!

Daurix

Post by Daurix » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:33 pm

John Sweet wrote: This should be a signal for them to get back to basics and focus on what makes them unique.

True that

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Does Dave Matthews use Logic?

If so I might consider buying it again.

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:38 pm

$500 and no SESSION VIEW....

wow
- Oliver Chesler

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm

LiveXXX wrote:$500 and no SESSION VIEW....

wow
Oh, psssh. If there was a session view, you'd probably be here bitching how apple ripped of ableton's UI. :P

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:44 pm

John Sweet wrote:Logic's low price and mountains of features is certainly bad news for Ableton.

I've always wondered why they've been trying to compete with DAWs like Logic and PT in their last few updates. Ableton's app is called Live, thus stability and live performance features should be key. Like people were saying, session view is Live's most unique feature and greatest strength.

Unfortunately Ableton's been adding arrange features and neglecting session view for a couple years now, and only a few releases of versions 5 & 6 have been stable enough to play out with.

This should be a signal for them to get back to basics and focus on what makes them unique.
I agree with you to an extent.

I don't think that the problem is 'adding arrange features', I think the problem has been that Arrangement doesn't really link in with the session in an innovative and inspiring way. Session is/was innovative and inspiring - arrangement just isn't. It's simple to use sure, but it is not as innovative as session was.

Live has to do three things to compete
1: include some 'standard' features found in competitve products
2: more importantly - strengthen what is 'different' about Live
3: do it all $1 cheaper than the opposition

To make Arrangement stronger they need to leverage the power of Session into arrangement (and to some degree vice-versa). There are things that arrange can do which session can't (record midi controllers for example!) there are of course many things Session can do which Arrangement can't.

If a Session could hold big chunks of an arrangement .. big sections of a song, or an edited beat. Then the arrangement and session would work powerfully in tandem in a new and exciting way. Different from other apps.

If people could write and arrange with the fluidity of Session then they would still be forced to use Live - because no other app does it that way. Unfortunately Live's killer feature is still Session and arrangement is merely a separate part of the program. A part which is nowhere near as imaginative.

I spend a lot of time using arrangement, but I feel that it is not because of the 'playing catch-up' here that Live may struggle against a cheaper Logic, but that Live has not been bold enough in it's integration of 'Arrangement'!

Bold as Session

Daim

Post by Daim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:15 pm

does anyone see sth about improvements in routing workflow?

i remember in logic 7 it takes like 10 clicks to create a return track

edit: weeeh they improved it
Last edited by Daim on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:16 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
andydes wrote:My gosh, you get a lot of shit for your money.

I say your money, because I'm on a mother loving PC. Damn it.
osx86project.org
what good is that ? apple dont support it, so not only will you be cracking and pirating the OS but you'll have to crack the applications too.

PITA
spreader of butter

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm

I''l allways stick on Ableton Live.... for me it was love at first feel, 4 years ago.

Futuristic interface, easy, intuitive, and they listen to users wishes.

Anyways, would be awesome if Ableton did something similar to Reason's / Logic's multitake feature on Live 7: one sub-track for each take and then you can select, compare the best one, and even mix them into one single track to get the perfect take.

My english suck.

bobaphat

Post by bobaphat » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:33 pm

esky wrote:I'm glad i switched from Logic to Live recently, there's nothing really exciting about this Update, the new look is awfull. Nothing to worry about here, folks... :)
you must be suffering from a acute case of cognitive dissonance man,, Logic pro is a total killer.
Ill buy this one, and if the timing of loops and stretching works ergonomicly ill never go back to ableton. Ableton just doesnt sound good enough, although its fun to play with.
mu mu music is the key

Daim

Post by Daim » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:41 pm

doh not in the edu store.. only logic 7

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:43 pm

Damn that's NICE!!!

Hrmmm...

Wishing they had a download demo version...

I'm tempted, but so used to session view (non-linear clips) and Live racks.

I'm hoping Live will have some major improvements to midi mapping, macros, etc... in the next version, not to mention recording automation to session.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

somarefill

years.

Post by somarefill » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:45 pm

i have been using logic since version 4 on a PC. after apple bought emagic i stayed on the PC with logic 5 for years. its still an amazing program. and IMHO the bar none for midi & automation programing. Ppl have said allot about how hard it is to use, and it takes ten mouse clicks to get a return or an aux track etc. Well its just not true, I can move through it like a hand through water javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing

Version 5 still today is a mainstay for me. I stayed away from being forced into buying a mac and getting 7 because I was unsure of logics future. Version 8 looks amazing. looks like an imac will be in the near future for me.