Logic 8 finally released! NO JOKE THIS TIME!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:49 pm

shaneblyth wrote:
OvertoneZero wrote:God damn, Apple's like the new Microsoft!
how do you figure that.. when has Microsoft dropped the price in half on one of there products , updated it to new improved version at the same time and added several other programs it sold that where not cheap in as well.. Check Vista pricing.. it should be haf that of XP and that should be the ultimate version.
I don't know... the new Logic price almost seems -too- low. I mean, in comparison to other DAWs it's just crazy. I'm not sure how other DAW companies would really be able to compete with this, since they don't have the benefit of Apple's hardware income.

$500 for Logic, Soundtrack Pro, Waveburner, 40 GB of samples, all those virtual instruments and awesome effects... I mean, for crying out loud, Peak costs that much by itself. It seems like Apple has an unfair competitive advantage, which to me makes Microsoft comparisons not completely unfounded.

Rabid mac fans, I just said not completely unfounded. I didn't say completely and totally justified.

Daurix

Post by Daurix » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:56 pm

I'm going to buy Logic, but I'll stick with Live as well. The competition will definitetly hurt though..

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:57 pm

I would agree with that, Apple aren't playing fair here at all.
No other company could afford to offer such a big amount of program, plug-ins and samples at this price.

They are attempting to crush the opposition with this move.
It's a loss leader to get all the 'creatives' onto the mac platform

It will certainly work to a large degree judging by the general reaction.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 pm

bigbadotis wrote:
shaneblyth wrote:
OvertoneZero wrote:God damn, Apple's like the new Microsoft!
how do you figure that.. when has Microsoft dropped the price in half on one of there products , updated it to new improved version at the same time and added several other programs it sold that where not cheap in as well.. Check Vista pricing.. it should be haf that of XP and that should be the ultimate version.
I don't know... the new Logic price almost seems -too- low. I mean, in comparison to other DAWs it's just crazy. I'm not sure how other DAW companies would really be able to compete with this, since they don't have the benefit of Apple's hardware income.

$500 for Logic, Soundtrack Pro, Waveburner, 40 GB of samples, all those virtual instruments and awesome effects... I mean, for crying out loud, Peak costs that much by itself. It seems like Apple has an unfair competitive advantage, which to me makes Microsoft comparisons not completely unfounded.

Rabid mac fans, I just said not completely unfounded. I didn't say completely and totally justified.
I dont see how Apple has an advantage at all.. in fact as they only sell Logic for Mac and it is a very small number of Mac users and 96% of other people use Windows I think that Apple is at a huge disadvantage.
If they sell Logic to every Mac user then thats about 6%. You dont really think that all of a sudden 50% of Windows users are going to buy Logic and a Mac as well because it is a few hundered dollars cheaper ? Apple is in the news a fair bit and I think people are getting a distorted view of the realty of the very tinny market share.
Apple did a good thing in making something cheaper.. and hopefully others will follow.. but lets face it if it is a windows only product there is absolutely no pressure to do that.
PS you have been able to buy Digital Performer DAW software at the new Logic Price for a very long time and alot of Mac users prefer it cause it is in someways way better than Logic 7 at least.. So I thnk Apple is lining it;s price up with other Mac DAWS like Digital Performer which is an awesome product. Alot of top Movie?Video studios with MAcs use DP.
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:08 pm

rbro & LOFA, Sorry for the low dig, I"m all about the edu discount myself but I managed to dodge it on Logic cause I knew I'd want to upgrade & you can be sure that my wife's student card will be buying a MBP in the next couple of months!

As for the UK price difference £55 of the difference is VAT which has to be added and I'd have to say that I'm happy to pay £129 for an upgrade as I'd budgeted more.
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:10 pm

you guys knew there was no upgrade path when you bought it. suck it up bitches.
spreader of butter

unklmic

Post by unklmic » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Image

Looks a bit like LIVE eh?
I think it looks better than live!

LiveXXX

Post by LiveXXX » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:12 pm

Im going to.....

make music.

(with Live)
- Oliver Chesler

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:13 pm

I dont see how Apple has an advantage at all.. in fact as they only sell Logic for Mac and it is a very small number of Mac users and 96% of other people use Windows I think that Apple is at a huge disadvantage.
I'm only talking about the Mac market here. And that's an important distinction... if Apple owns the Mac DAW market then other companies might stop making their products for Macs, which would be bad.
S you have been able to buy Digital Performer DAW software at the new Logic Price for a very long time and alot of Mac users prefer it cause it is in someways way better than Logic 7 at least.. So I thnk Apple is lining it;s price up with other Mac DAWS like Digital Performer which is an awesome product. Alot of top Movie?Video studios with MAcs use DP.
I don't know enough about DP to talk about whether or not it can compete with Logic at this price point, so I'll just leave it at this: DP + MachFive = $1000.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:15 pm

shaneblyth wrote: I dont see how Apple has an advantage at all.. in fact as they only sell Logic for Mac and it is a very small number of Mac users and 96% of other people use Windows I think that Apple is at a huge disadvantage.
The difference is that the ratio of Mac to PC when talking about computer based musicians is much larger than the general population. It may only be 6% of all computers out there, but I bet it's a much higher percentage of artistic types like us.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Yes, Apple aren't trying to capture the computer market with this move, they are trying to capture the computer musician market.

last poll on here, 50% of Live users were on a mac. I would bet this makes the remaining 50% of Live users on a PC consider their next computer very carefully. For example - I now know that my next laptop will be a Mac with Logic (And Live) on it.
Simple as that.
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Tarekith wrote:
shaneblyth wrote: I dont see how Apple has an advantage at all.. in fact as they only sell Logic for Mac and it is a very small number of Mac users and 96% of other people use Windows I think that Apple is at a huge disadvantage.
The difference is that the ratio of Mac to PC when talking about computer based musicians is much larger than the general population. It may only be 6% of all computers out there, but I bet it's a much higher percentage of artistic types like us.
it would be an interesting figure to know.. I am sure there is a heck of a lot more Windows based Musicians though. One thing that I hope this does is give ProTools a kick in the pants.. That company is 10x worse than MS or Apple has ever been.
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

formatk

Post by formatk » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 pm

I've never used Logic, but work in a professional environment, and I do get knocked when I tell people I do all my editing and composing in Live. But with the release of Logic at this price point, I think I'll be spending the money I'd normally invest in a Live upgrade on Logic instead. Probably use both together, but I do have doubts about throwing more money towards ableton now... unless they pull something out the bag?!!
http://www.myspace.com/formatk
http://www.karlsadler.com
http://www.kandledesign.com

Artist & Visualist
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Live 7.0.14, OSX10.6.2, Launchpad, AkaiMPD24, Akai S20, Oxygen 8, Presonus Inspire, Rode NT1a/M3, Shure SM58

condra

Post by condra » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:30 pm

I would agree with that, Apple aren't playing fair here at all
Being "fair" doesn't apply. Its business, not a playground game. Either way, I think its a great move by Apple, and will help hardware sales for Apple, while forcing other software companies to up their games.

Regarding Operator and Sampler being bundled with Live, I bought them both, but would be happy to see them bundled for free with Live in the future.
For the record, I always thought EIC should be free with Live. I have no intentions of buying it.

I think Ableton need to do some serious thinking, and I'm hoping for drastic steps to be taken to ensure Lives future is prosperous.

I understand those who say theres nothing wrong with using both Live and Logic, but some people, including myself, prefer to focus their time on one elegant solution.

I love Live, but I wont remain "faithfull" unless it stays innovative, and becomes more competitivly priced, or indeed more generously bundled.

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:37 pm

I think native instruments and propellerheads have more to fear about Logic 8. Ableton's niche has always been the session view, effect racks, and the effects themselves. I can't really imagine why people would want to buy something like Komplete for over 1000 usd when you can now get Logic 8 for half the price.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver