[OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

[OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:40 pm

I've completely lost my faith in Hollywood and even Indie studios in being able to make horror movies that are actually scary. So what fairly recent releases have freaked you out, and don't post a Chris Crocker video you assholes.

One for me..

Session 9. It's creepy in a The Shining type of way. Creepiest of all it was filmed in a actual condemned mental asylum and very little props or sets had to be built or brought in. It even inspired me to do some research on the place and sadly I think they tore it down a few years ago.

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:47 pm

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:48 pm

grudge (pt 1)

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Wolf Creek.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:55 pm

The Descent was pretty scary, though the english accents were so strong we had to watch it with subtitles on :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:59 pm

I have a friend who is terrified by movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Wolf Creek because he thinks white people in isolated locations are crazy and that shit actually happens. Those movies don't scare me though. They just remind me of family gatherings.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:07 pm

The Blob..
man did I shit my pants.. :lol:

the one that should've shocked us all was Blairwitch..
it didn't do me anything..

so actually shocking?
havent seen one after my 10th..

maybe All Faces.. or any other snuff.

bob1

Re: [OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Post by bob1 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:29 pm

beats me wrote:
Session 9. It's creepy in a The Shining type of way.
Thanks for the recommendation, very 70ies approach like those films that I find the most scary, like Don't look now, Burnt offerings, Shining and such.

Last film that scared me was Black water which is basically a better executed version of Open water, only with a croc in a swamp region. Creepy if you fall for this animal + water horror stuff. The majority found it boring as hell.

Calvaire and Tzameti were kinda fresh and unexpected.

The Hollywood remake stuff sucks donkey balls, the saw and hostel franchises are mediocre at best, jap horror turned to only being weird and some promising french productions have endings that ruin everything.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Cannibal Holocaust!

Not sure if it qualifies as a Horror, but it sure aint a cooking show.
The Blair Witch is a ripoff from this movie/documentary.

I agree with The Blob. That scared the shits out of me too when I was little.

Thriller frightened me too, but then again... every kid should be affraid of Micheal Jackson!

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:35 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Thriller frightened me too, but then again... every kid should be affraid of Micheal Jackson!
:lol:

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:41 pm

I remember finding Flowers in the Attic quite scary.
I don't know if I'm getting old but I don't find the gore-fests scary, just unpleasant. I thought Saw was so unnecessary.
Suspense is scary - like the end of the Silence of the Lambs. But the splatter stuff is just stupid.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Beats
I owe you one, thanks for the recent recommendation.

I love Horror and movies in general. In fact, one of my many goals is to use Live to make soundtracks. I have been trying to get student film makers and beginners interested but even that's tough! :roll:

I too really liked Session 9 (great ending!!)

The problem with the current state of Horror is a mass bombardment of complete schlock at the video/dvd rental joints. My god, if I see one more impressive cover (clam shell) for a friggin' Uli Lommel trash flick I think I am going to puke! Guys like that (ans SO MANY others) are the ones responsible for turning Horror into a joke.

There has been a few that actually scared me over the last few years. I was pretty impressed with...

The Possession of Emily Rose
The remake of The Amityville Horror.
The Grudge
Dead Birds (so so)
Dagon (so so scary, but a damn fine Horror movie for certain!)

I wasn't really scared by, but enjoyed

Silent Hill
Grindhouse
The Rob Zombie stuff

I actually thought Memory & Dead Silence were decent, but no one else seems to. :lol:

I think one of the things that is ruining the modern horror psyche (if there is such a thing) is a specific notion. That notion is just because a film depicts horrible acts, that makes it a "Horror Film". To me, that's just plain stupid and serves to delude a real appreciation for what was once a real art. I mean, movies like Jaws, Primeval, Lake Placid, Silence of The Lambs, Zodiac (the newer one), Hostel, Naked Lunch, Videodrome & eXistenZ IMO are NOT real "Horror Films". Not at all. There is so much more to horror than just being terrified by mortal demise.

The other thing is the ridiculous 14 sequel phenomenon that began in the late 70s and continues to run rampant.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Wolf Creek was good. So was High tension.

What really scared me (and scarred me) was the Zelda character from Pet Semetary. Man, I'm still terrified. Really really terrified.

Anyone who has seen that film pretty much knows what I'm talking about.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Nothing beats the original Alien :)

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Oh yeah and Alferd Hitchcocks "The Birds". It was actually on last night on AMC...