[OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
koneko

Post by koneko » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Dark Water, the original version

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Someone already mentioned The Descent. Fuck me - that film changed me. I've never been so scared in all my life...

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 pm

1408 with John Cusack and Samual L. Jackson was good.

astromass

Post by astromass » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:27 pm

THE HITCHER (the original with rutger and c. thomas howell)....damn.......
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Wolf Creek was too slow to get going, it built tension though. interesting that so many people like it, I guess I have a short attention span.

Blair Witch-
I was invited to a pre-release press screening of Blair Witch and was only told that it was a documentary, nothing more. scared the fuck out of me. the next day two friends who saw it with me were sitting in a room talking. I walked into the room and stood there facing the corner, freaked the fuck out of them, they started screaming at me to cut it out. good example of less is more, they didn't show much gore, it was implied.

blage - that's funny, I've seen shows on that. IMO it's largely bullshit but embellished to scare you, like those TV shows where they go ghost hunting. I have been in a state like that before, awake but can't move, or was I? to me there's just modern day ghost stories.

the ring - just freaking creepy, I guess it was the editing style, all jumpy and creepy.

Rob Zombies stuff - good fun creepy slasher flicks.

the shining - scared the hell out of me at age 10. the next day my dad was walking around with an axe taking down poison ivy vines, creeped me out.

Jaws - who doesn't think of sharks then they're in the ocean?? needless fear really but that movie changed the world's psyche on sharks.

Se7en - twisted shit

Poltergeist - started trying to sit through it as a kid, took many viewings to get the balls to make it through. couldn't look under the bed for YEARS.

Candyman - I couldn't sit square on a toilet for months afterwards for fear of having a hook rip my balls off.

alien/aliens - GREAT films.

event horizon is also surprisingly good.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:30 pm

I just got done watching the remake of The Hitcher,,, very cool.
Cabin was pretty cool,,,
The one about the German soldiers in the gun emplacement,, was it called Tunnel?
descent rocked!!
The ring,, i watched that one and thought,, Hmm,, pretty cool ,, then as i was ejecting the DVD the phone rang 8O !!
apparently the remake of The hills have eyes is pretty cool,,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:44 pm

The Descent didn't really do it for me. I think it should have been like a half hour long and got way too predictible with it's "shit popping out of newhere" schtick. Of course the previews pretty much told you that is how it was going to be. I don't get into movies that milk simple ideas.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Oh, and I also liked The Ring and The Grudge but I think we are now officially done being scared by waify pale females with long black hair.

Landser

Post by Landser » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Here is my dangerous tip for a horror trip you will not forget:
Michael Bay's Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
The original TCM was already very good, extremely thrilling and hardly to bear, but this movie shows what is possible with today's visuals and audio, if a very good director makes a horror movie and really aims for the absolute maximum achievable thrill (and i mean not a cheap thrill based on shock moments, a la Scream, i mean the thrill that is built up over minutes and you can not escape).
I'd recommend the unrated version.

pinky

Post by pinky » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Patch wrote:Someone already mentioned The Descent. Fuck me - that film changed me. I've never been so scared in all my life...
That's a great film, probably the last descent horror film I've seen.Just goes to show that you don't need to throw heaps of wad at something if you've got an original idea.For anyone who liked The Descent and hasn't seen Neil Marshall's first film, Dog Soldiers, I recommend it.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:41 pm

beats me wrote:The Descent didn't really do it for me. I think it should have been like a half hour long and got way too predictible with it's "shit popping out of newhere" schtick. Of course the previews pretty much told you that is how it was going to be. I don't get into movies that milk simple ideas.
Here is the thing, for me, with The Descent. I had already seen "The Cave" before The Descent. Comparatively in terms of production and story line, The Descent fell way short. It's like it could have been made in a garage somewhere. It's all just the suspense of dark claustrophobic tension. The movie kind of goes no where and the end is just plain dumb.

I think if I would have seen The Descent first, I MAY have felt different.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:42 pm

Event Horizon is a good one too aye, that and In The Mouth Of Madness.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Wolf Creek was too slow to get going, it built tension though. interesting that so many people like it, I guess I have a short attention span.

Blair Witch-...........

I think context and the amount you're willing to scare yourself is key with both the above movies.

I watched WC alone, in complete darkness, after a long Down-Under roadtrip with the addition of some overdue herbalisation. Scared me silly.

BW and The Ring (orig) were also the last films that had the same effect. And were watched in similar circumstances. All these films will let you get yerself scared & don't test your patience/credulity/stomach if you sign up for the full journey.
Last edited by evernaut on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:44 pm

pinky wrote:
Patch wrote:Someone already mentioned The Descent. Fuck me - that film changed me. I've never been so scared in all my life...
That's a great film, probably the last descent horror film I've seen.Just goes to show that you don't need to throw heaps of wad at something if you've got an original idea.For anyone who liked The Descent and hasn't seen Neil Marshall's first film, Dog Soldiers, I recommend it.

To me, Dog Soldiers was 10 times the film The Descent was. I REALLY like that movie. It had a hell of a lot more imagination going for it than The Descent.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
To me, Dog Soldiers was 10 times the film The Descent was. I REALLY like that movie. It had a hell of a lot more imagination going for it than The Descent.
Have to sadly agree. Although neither are really scary,. they both ROCK!