[OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
maddmac

Post by maddmac » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:44 am

Ju-On scared the shit out of my wife and me. If you dont know, that's the Japanese film that The Grudge is based on. Makes The Grudge look like Casper. I didn't think I'd be able to "read" a horror flick, but after about 10 minutes I forgot about the subtitles. That's one you want to watch at night with the lights and ringer off.

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:54 pm

"I spit on your grave"
"madhouse"
"trap them and kill them, also called "Eugeine" or something similar.
it's Italian dubbed in English

telekom

Post by telekom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I hate horror films, but I accidentally got sucked into watching this French 50s movie "Eyes Without A Face" one night. Really creepy B/W noirish film... at 2am the credits rolled and immediately the entire street had a power cut... I rang the electricity company, not because I thought they would fix the power any faster, just to have someone to talk to... :)

Yeah Alien is good. But i don't like horror films or even tense films. I actually thought Spiderman was too violent. :)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:17 pm

telekom wrote:I hate horror films, but I accidentally got sucked into watching this French 50s movie "Eyes Without A Face" one night. Really creepy B/W noirish film... at 2am the credits rolled and immediately the entire street had a power cut... I rang the electricity company, not because I thought they would fix the power any faster, just to have someone to talk to... :)

Yeah Alien is good. But i don't like horror films or even tense films. I actually thought Spiderman was too violent. :)
+1 @ "Eyes Without a Face". I own the Criterion re-release and it includes a documentary (dsame director) about a French slaughterhouse which makes for a pretty rough watch. Sick...

BAKOY_MUSIC

Post by BAKOY_MUSIC » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:23 pm

HOSTEL, could be true ?
codex alimentarius is coming soon
MBP CD1 1.83Ghz 2G RAM, KORG49, MOTU TRAVELER

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:04 am

thelike5 wrote:
blage wrote:Horror films have never really scared me, they have made me jump a little from time to time.

The one thing that really scared me was a documentary about sleep paralysis.

For anyone who doesn't know what sleep paralysis is, it's when your brain is basically half asleep & half awake, your body is paralysed, and you can hallucinate all sorts of nasty shit.

Lots of people have woken up in the middle of the night, been completely paralysed, with what ever scares them the most kneeling on their chest, attacking them.

Throughout history it has been well documented about people having these experiences, some people have witches attacking them, others have the devil and more recently people have woken up to aliens doing nasty experiments on them.

After watching that documentary i couldn't sleep.

Oh, by the way, it is believed 1 in 4 people will have an experience like this some time in their life.

Here is a link to wiki about it, not read it myself, but sure it will tell you a few fucked up things about what happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

This is commonly refered to as the "Old Hag Syndrome". Some scary shit for sure. Basically, you wake up in the middle of the night with a 70 year old woman/witch kneeling on your chest. You can't move. I've never exprienced this but if I did I'd have to break out the night light all over again!
Hehe. I get this all the time! And yes, it can properly freak you out!

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:04 am

Anyone watch threads yet?
:cry: :cry:

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:05 am

Splashmas wrote:
thelike5 wrote:
blage wrote:Horror films have never really scared me, they have made me jump a little from time to time.

The one thing that really scared me was a documentary about sleep paralysis.

For anyone who doesn't know what sleep paralysis is, it's when your brain is basically half asleep & half awake, your body is paralysed, and you can hallucinate all sorts of nasty shit.

Lots of people have woken up in the middle of the night, been completely paralysed, with what ever scares them the most kneeling on their chest, attacking them.

Throughout history it has been well documented about people having these experiences, some people have witches attacking them, others have the devil and more recently people have woken up to aliens doing nasty experiments on them.

After watching that documentary i couldn't sleep.

Oh, by the way, it is believed 1 in 4 people will have an experience like this some time in their life.

Here is a link to wiki about it, not read it myself, but sure it will tell you a few fucked up things about what happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

This is commonly refered to as the "Old Hag Syndrome". Some scary shit for sure. Basically, you wake up in the middle of the night with a 70 year old woman/witch kneeling on your chest. You can't move. I've never exprienced this but if I did I'd have to break out the night light all over again!
Hehe. I get this all the time! And yes, it can properly freak you out!
I used to get it loads... from my own experience it's down to dehydration. Drink lots of water and you'll be fine. BUt when it does happen 8O :cry: it's fuckin horrific.

scientist

Post by scientist » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:04 am

suburbanbather wrote:The movie that is in my sig. has some phat ass bass wobbles(dubstep style) in a couple parts of the movie. The opening song for the movie is actually pretty cool.

+1 on pretty much all of John Carpenter's music. Both the original version and John Carpenter's remake of the Thing are great movies.
i'll have to check it out. i just returned from my first production meeting for a zombie flick i'm doing the music for, and we're going for the carpenter angle with the music...vintage synth drones and all that.

also, i think it got mentioned already, but if not:
audition.
it works so well because for the first half it seems like some artsy independent film about loneliness and loss, then goes horribly wrong with some of the most disgusting cringeworthy stuff ever put on film.

cyclyk

Post by cyclyk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:41 am

audition.
it works so well because for the first half it seems like some artsy independent film about loneliness and loss, then goes horribly wrong with some of the most disgusting cringeworthy stuff ever put on film.

definitly agree with this, very great movie where you are beautifuly manipulated from the beginning to the end, between dream,pain and vice. Kili kili kili....

Not really a "horror movie" but "Funny Game" from Michael Hanneke is an intense experience too (not for everyone maybe..)...

Also Creep is a good one, great use of the lights inside for example but cooler (more traditionnal too) than the 2 above.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:54 am

"Fragile"

slow, creepy, disturbing...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:45 am

I've been watching Evil Dead 2 for the first time, CLASSIC!!

"groovy :D "
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am

mmm....watch the Italian flick "Cannibal Holocaust" with turtles' mutilation and other silly stuff....one of the most disturbin films ever... :twisted:
www.myspace.com/freshmenthal

HEAVY METAL IS A POSE!

ACER 5920G/FW410/Ableton Live 6/MPC1000/Alesis Micron/UC33/2 x Numark TTX/1 Numark CDX/Torq Connective/Ecler Hak 360/Vestax 06/Shure M-44-7/Krk Rp5/Behringer UB1832FX Pro/Boss DD-6/

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:13 am

anyone mention event horrizon yet? for some reason that movie scared the crap out of me.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:30 am