I'm such a gear slut

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

I'm such a gear slut

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:18 am

I just bought a roland mc-202 with analog solutions modular modification. on ebay of course so i don't have it in front of me. been watching the 202 on ebay for like 8 years now so I figured it was time to buy one.

there is no point to this post other than to share the fact that I'm a helpless gear slut. (holds head in shame)

when it arrives I'll prolly pick ya'lls brain about tips n' tricks with cv control as I'm quite unfamiliar. got a midi to cv on the way as well of course.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

spiral

Post by spiral » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:08 am

whilst cv / gate is useful on the 202
the mods for accent and port in will mean you need more outs from your midi cv converter

im currently trying out a frostwave quad midi /cv and it would be idea for that kind of application

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 am

spiral wrote:whilst cv / gate is useful on the 202
the mods for accent and port in will mean you need more outs from your midi cv converter

im currently trying out a frostwave quad midi /cv and it would be idea for that kind of application
why not sequence internally and use cv mod for accent and port? the problem is I would like to control everything at one time and thats just not gonna happen.

whats the frostware run? I'm grabbing something off of ebay for 70bucks with 2 outs.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

spiral

Post by spiral » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:38 am

the frostwave quad midi has 12 midi to cv out which can be assigned to multiple midi parameters. or to 4 seperate instruments, clever use of channel set ups could give you the control you needed

sequencing the 202 using internal sequencer is great for studio stuff but its a bit limited for live usage.

i prefer using the 202s sequencer than using midi to control everything, also have a look at the 202 hack which is a midi to tape signal converter.

if you had a number of synths live you could load up a new sequence while another synth is doing its thing

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:35 am

that frostwave is unavailable on their site it looks like and there are none on ebay. I'll get by with the cheap midi to cv that i got on ebay until I learn the ropes of how it all works and later maybe I'll upgrade if need be.

first thing is first I'm gonna do a mod I found online that doubles the lfo rate which gives you some semi fm style sounds. yummy.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:29 am

hehehe

I have had one of those for a few years now, also mod'd by analogue solutions. Gets regular use one way or another. Loads of audio / cv inputs and outputs. Now I have a modular synth, the 202 sits on top and gets a lot of lovin!! Overloading the filter on it sounds sweeet. And I can use it like a mini cv keyboard for the modular!

You made a good choice there ;)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:10 pm

elemental wrote:hehehe

I have had one of those for a few years now, also mod'd by analogue solutions. Gets regular use one way or another. Loads of audio / cv inputs and outputs. Now I have a modular synth, the 202 sits on top and gets a lot of lovin!! Overloading the filter on it sounds sweeet. And I can use it like a mini cv keyboard for the modular!

You made a good choice there ;)
care to give me so audio teasers while I wait for mine to arrive?

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:02 pm

www.myspace.com/adamelemental ;)

The growly bass on "Desert Storm" was an x-mod patch I havent managed to recreate since.
The bass on "Empty" was done with the sub osc routed into and overloading the filter ... tasty!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:06 am

elemental wrote:www.myspace.com/adamelemental ;)

The growly bass on "Desert Storm" was an x-mod patch I havent managed to recreate since.
The bass on "Empty" was done with the sub osc routed into and overloading the filter ... tasty!
your stuff sounds really awesome man. I'm digging that bass on empty.

question though. I understand the 202 has 2 sequencer channels one which you can route to external gear. so wouldn't it be possible to use the cv out of the 202 routed back into one of the mods so you could control it internally?

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:10 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
elemental wrote:www.myspace.com/adamelemental ;)

your stuff sounds really awesome man. I'm digging that bass on empty.

question though. I understand the 202 has 2 sequencer channels one which you can route to external gear. so wouldn't it be possible to use the cv out of the 202 routed back into one of the mods so you could control it internally?
I dont see why it wouldnt, unless the univere folding in on itself and you killed us all

also elemental tracks are awesome ++

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:19 am

anyone know about this mod? http://www.glitched.org/stuff/#M

the demo's sound awesome. it doubles the lfo rate so you can get really buzzy type sounds.

I've soldered a few things in my day but I'm certainly no pro. but it looks like it's just 2 points and a switch. anybody know if it's more comlicated than I think it is?

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:25 am

no idea

someone here should know
http://www.nabble.com/Analogue-Heaven-f387.html

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:37 am

oh... I just read I'll need a cheap midi sync device to sync it to ableton?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 am

k well I'm reading about this stuff and getting more and more confused. sync 24 and midi to cv

all I want to do is use the internal sequencer of the 202 synced to ableton and use ableton to control the filter cuttoff and portamento. so I need the sync 24 and the midi to cv converter right?

also... I hate to admit that I have no idea what the modular outs are exactly, I'm more interested in the input controls of course but I'm wondering what the modular outputs are. lil help?

spiral

Post by spiral » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 am

i have an unmodded mc202
but i have 2 ways of working mine

running everything from live, using a midi to cv converter, midi out to cv converter and audio in in live, using this method live controls everything, the mc202 is in play mode, midi is converted to cv/gate which goes into cv./gate in, sound comes out, you can play this in realtime from live, and any tempo changes in live will affect the 202, there is no need for din sync device

the other way i work
is create a sequence on the 202 , connect the 202 din sync in to tr707, connect midi out from tr707 to live but live in external mode and the 707 becomes the master clock and everything slaves from that, press play on the tr707.

hope that helps