Playback speed control (like scrub)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Da Coop

Playback speed control (like scrub)

Post by Da Coop » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:51 am

I would like a playback speed percentage control in live that I could assign a fader to. The control would be like controling analog tape/vinyl speed...of the entire mix! Assigning a fader to the tempo doesn't do it because of the pitch correction. If this feature exists and I have overlooked it, would someone please post how to do it here. Thanx

ryst

Post by ryst » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:01 pm

For now you have a decent substitute. It's called "speedster". It's a free AU plug-in from Airy. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/978.html.
It works very well and you can assign the playback speed and pitch to separate controllers for real time control. But you will need LIVE4 to use it since the other versions of Live don't support AU.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:21 pm

Put your sounds in repitch mode and then use the tempo control in Live...

Da Coop

Post by Da Coop » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:12 pm

I tried using the repitch option....that's the closest I've come to the effect I want, but the problem is that the tempo can only go down to 20 bpm, and when I assign a fader to it, it will only go to 60. I want something that goes down to 0, complete silence with playback stopped (paused.) I also tried that Speedster plugin, and the pluggo plugins, but they don't really do what I want.

mijk

Re: Playback speed control (like scrub)

Post by mijk » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:39 am

I use a Tascamm US-224 Audio/MIDI-Interface.
Already in Live 3 I was able to control the BPM-Speed with the Alpha Dial of the Tascam. You have to set the US-224 Control Port as Remote-Control Input in the MIDI Preferences Page. Then MIDI-map the Alpha Dial to the Song Tempo, but make sure to set the control not "Absolute", but "Relative (2's Comp)". Now every step of the Alpha Dial alters the BPM speed by 1,4 bpm, which is not super-precise but decent for fine-pitching a roughly tapped speed for example to DJ-mix Ableton Live with records or CDs. :D