Convince me to buy Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:16 am

I wouldn't be caught dead without Live.

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:43 am

Don't forget to put the Ableton stickers on your coffin...

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:50 am

Anonymous wrote:I wouldn't be caught dead without Live.
very good. that should be their new slogan. i sure as hell wouldn't.

joshcarter

Post by joshcarter » Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:00 pm

Scott,

About the sound card: it depends on what you need to do. I only have a stereo out, so I don't use pre-listen. I'm sure it's a cool feature, but I get along fine without it. FWIW, I've had great success with a Griffin iMic -- $35 very well spent, especially on a portable laptop rig. (Laptops tend to have pretty noisy sound in/out.)

I bought Live after being disappointed with Reason as a performance tool, too. I'm still just using Reason (playing drums in a band), but I'm fiddling with a one-man show that's just me, my drum controllers, Reason, and Live. For live performance stuff, Live is absolutely THE tool. For the use you're describing, Live is what you want.

Another plus I haven't heard mentioned in this thread: VST effects. There are some pretty whacked VSTs out there.

-Josh

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:27 pm

Some really amazing VSTs:

-- http://www.ohmforce.com/

I swear by a mix of Frohmage, Hematohm, and OhmBoyz for good fun.

Another cool thing about Live is that the four Sends not only receive but can feed other Sends.

This allows you to set up feedback loops that require very careful balancing but can then yield unpredictable and beautiful results, once you feed in the input seed.

-Alex

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:42 pm

i suggest using the freeware 'rubytube' limiter to keep your levels sane when feedbacking stuff. that way you don't need to be that careful with your balancing.

k

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:34 am

Alas, Rubytube is not carbonized and won't work under OS X... javascript:emoticon(':(')

But I am looking for a way to kill or dampen overamplified feedback loops. If I see anything I'll post it here.

-Alex

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:11 am

hmm...good to know. well, mr. steve ain't gettin' my $129 until my demands for a carbonized rubytube are met dammit. there's no way i'm switchin' without that plug-i, it's just too damn good. come on steevie boy lets see who can hold out the longest. i got nuthin' but time baby, nuthin' but time.

k