Live Question for Live Performance!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
petergregson

Live Question for Live Performance!

Post by petergregson » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:16 pm

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me: I am preparing to perform a piece for solo cello and backing track, but the loops that are written all fall from the "real" piece, and so I am wanting to do it live. I believe it was originally written for a boomerang pedal.

These loops are in irregular meters, but all measured in crotchets (quarter notes). Example: 2 bars of 8/4, 1 bar of 7/4, 2 bars of 6/4 etc etc.

I was wondering if I could do this in Live, and if I can, can I ReWire this function into Logic?
I really appreciate your help!
Peter

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:00 pm

Sure, that shouldn't be a problem. But what do you need Logic for?

Just export the loops, import them into Live and set them to loop at the appropriate lenght. You will probably need a midi pedal to switch/stop/start the loops if you have your hand busy with the cello.

petergregson

Post by petergregson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:19 am

thanks for that -

what I should have mentioned is that I'm wanting t o sample these loops live, as all the loops are actually segments of the piece. I am merely to be capturing them.

I would be using Logic for a chanel strip that I've modelled, but I can always redesign that in Live.

Is this still possible do you know?

Post by 4.33 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53 pm

yes

i remember a thread about live looping using midi pedal

but unfortunately i don't have the link, maybe someone has that in their favorites

at least, try to search through the forums for "live looping", there's a bunch of tricks here

speaking of time signatures, live doesn't support automation for them, so my guess is that you'll want to set 1/4 as the global. however, you'll need to be very precise with your feet then, while recording and firing your loops

good luck man, i'd love to see such performance!

PS: i dont see any need for logic either

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:33 pm

Very possible. But as noted above, you will need to be very precise when capturing the loops as you only have 1/4 margin when stopping. You will definitely need a midi pedal for hands free operation. There are tons of info on "live looping" in the Tips & Tricks forum. Look and search.