Proudly behind the times, I just upgraded to Live 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
krank

Proudly behind the times, I just upgraded to Live 6

Post by krank » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:02 pm

I don't get this 'rack' thing. What's it for?

wilxon

Re: Proudly behind the times, I just upgraded to Live 6

Post by wilxon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:19 pm

krank wrote:I don't get this 'rack' thing. What's it for?

Never mind that mate, your lucky cos i beleive you now have a free upgrade to 7

krank

Post by krank » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:29 pm

wilxon wrote:
krank wrote:I don't get this 'rack' thing. What's it for?

Never mind that mate, your lucky cos i beleive you now have a free upgrade to 7
That is indeed my reason for upgrading now. But surely racks are here to stay as a Live feature - anyone care to explain very briefly the best ways to use them? Of course, I'll eventually check the manual and play around with them (playing around with racks, now there's a thought) - I just happen to be so pressed for time that unless there's some obvious benefit to their use, it'll have to wait.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 am

krank wrote: anyone care to explain very briefly the best ways to use them? ....
that's a bit of an oxymoron really - explaining racks briefly

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:52 am

It's an extension of the old "Group Devices" command. Breifly, it lets you make up huge chains of MIDI effects/instrumnts/plugins and save and store them as a single preset.

You also can assign 8 "macro" knobs in the rack to the parameters of anything you want to modulate, including crazy multiple assignments to one knob.

Racks is the easiest way to save and recall huge keyboard split/layer setups containing as many devices as you want (including Racks within Racks)... does this start to sound like fun?:D :D

Best thing to get the idea is to have a play with the "Instrument Rack" presets in Live's Instrument browser, and the "Audio Effect Rack" settings in Live's Audio Effects browser.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

MonaShaker

Whats in a day..

Post by MonaShaker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:35 am

My Live 6 boxed version arrived yesterday.. wooooo
Now i hear Live 7 is out, am i too late to get teh free upgrade???

Does anyone know? Surely its only fair - 1 day in the difference....
bish bash boom

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:01 am

racks are great for parellel efx chains. drag in an audio efx rack, drag in an effect, click the middle button on left top, under power button youll see three funny buttons, and you can drag a different effect for parellel processing, or serial processing by dragging into the chain that already has an effect. great for ny style compression, as well as totally mangling stuff. instrument racks do the same thing, only with insruments, i.e. 5 simpler patches on one channel. you can also drag efx after the rack, so everything in the rack is processed by these efx. very fun, and really the only reason i upgraded to 6 in the first place. now i have to justify 7. 119 seems like a good reason, what with proper sidechaining and 64 bit support. lucky beta maxers, er, testertubers i mean!

doesnt anyone read reviews or manuals?!

krank

Post by krank » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 am

dcease wrote:racks are great for parellel efx chains. drag in an audio efx rack, drag in an effect, click the middle button on left top, under power button youll see three funny buttons, and you can drag a different effect for parellel processing, or serial processing by dragging into the chain that already has an effect. great for ny style compression, as well as totally mangling stuff. instrument racks do the same thing, only with insruments, i.e. 5 simpler patches on one channel. you can also drag efx after the rack, so everything in the rack is processed by these efx. very fun, and really the only reason i upgraded to 6 in the first place. now i have to justify 7. 119 seems like a good reason, what with proper sidechaining and 64 bit support. lucky beta maxers, er, testertubers i mean!

Thanks a lot, especially for mentioning the possibillity of running in parallel effects that have no mix knob, without using a return track - this may come in very handy. Like I said irt. the manual, I'll get to it - I just need to know where to put my time in.

I have another question: greyed out sends in return tracks - what's up with this? One of my old sets has a handful of return tracks, with some routings from one return to another. But in Live 6, only a couple of these are available, the rest of the sends are grey, non-functional.
Last edited by krank on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:27 am

krank wrote:
dcease wrote:racks are great for parellel efx chains. drag in an audio efx rack, drag in an effect, click the middle button on left top, under power button youll see three funny buttons, and you can drag a different effect for parellel processing, or serial processing by dragging into the chain that already has an effect. great for ny style compression, as well as totally mangling stuff. instrument racks do the same thing, only with insruments, i.e. 5 simpler patches on one channel. you can also drag efx after the rack, so everything in the rack is processed by these efx. very fun, and really the only reason i upgraded to 6 in the first place. now i have to justify 7. 119 seems like a good reason, what with proper sidechaining and 64 bit support. lucky beta maxers, er, testertubers i mean!

Thanks a lot. Like I said irt. the manual, I'll get to it, I just need to know where to put my time in.

I have another question: greyed out sends in return tracks - what's up with this? One of my old sets has a handful of return tracks, with some routings from one return to another. But in Live 6, only a couple of these are available, the rest of the sends are grey, non-functional.
Right click / ctrl + click and select "enable send" or "enable all sends". They're disabled by default now to prevent feedbacking and save CPU.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

scottwallis

Post by scottwallis » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:30 am

I just upgraded to 6 on 1st oct. just in time i believe because from 1st im entitled to the free upgrade......to say im well pleased is an understatement....

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO :lol:

krank

Post by krank » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:31 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:Right click / ctrl + click and select "enable send" or "enable all sends". They're disabled by default now to prevent feedbacking and save CPU.
Ah, thanks.

wilxon

Re: Whats in a day..

Post by wilxon » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 am

MonaShaker wrote:My Live 6 boxed version arrived yesterday.. wooooo
Now i hear Live 7 is out, am i too late to get teh free upgrade???

Does anyone know? Surely its only fair - 1 day in the difference....
Its from when you register your version of 6, if you havnt unlocked & registered yet then you will be eligible for free upgrade.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:54 am

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:57 am

Ah, racks, yes those are cool. I unlocked my live 6 upgrade 2 weeks ago so just missed this free v7 stuff. Ah well, it's not like it had track grouping anyway ;)